OEM Recovery Partition Creator for Windows

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by AnarethoS, Sep 11, 2010.

1. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    forget all the linux boasting and ranting i made prior in this forum. if i have had just seen this post 8 years back. i could saved myself a few 100 hours of my life. :suicide::suicide::suicide: i spent too many hours downloading the various latest iso images. then spent a few more too many hours installing, and if it failed, then repeat installing the same s*it again and again. aarghhhhhhhhh.
    i am confirm i am the official idiot of this forum.:suicide::suicide::suicide::suicide::throw::throw::throw:
    but atleast better 8 years late than never.
    forget stfg i need to stfmdlf
    thanks mate for this tool. now i can make one image and keep it ready to for any emergency.:tankyou:

2. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi everyone.

The "updated" requires files for Windows 10 1803 seems to be corupted. At leat, they dont work to create PPKG capture file and prevent the recovery tool to works.

I put back the previous version. I hope it will work with 1803.

I will download the ADK again and try in a Vm before updating the Scansate tools.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009

All apps and drivers are captured in the PPKG file.
    Thif ile is used during push-button reset (aka local reinstall or reinstall without full image)

The capture.wim file is a temporary WinRE environnement used to capture Windows since this can't be done live.

Install.wim (or SWM) is the full image of Windows. This can't be used for a local recovery but for creating a recovery media that can perform a full recovery.

The REcovery forlder is write protected. A user can't delete a file by accident.

Unless for you that making windows show hidden system files + manually going to a folder + deleteting a file and forcing the execution with admin right a "accident". Then, yes.

But then nothing prevent a user from running a script that will delete Explorer.exe, change registry settings, etc.

When I deal with stupid user, I don't make them admin of their own computer :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. patris971

patris971 MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2012
    Hello Anarethos

Still all my congratulations for tone tools and thank you

I am on WIN10 64BIT MBR 1709
    SYSPREP 1=Full image

I noticed that my recovery.ppkg file made 7.49go and that that this could not be to splitter via the commane " dism.exe "
    what makes that I find myself with files swm of 2go and one of 7.49go
    knowing during creation of the system about key usb on fat32 files is to limit has 4 go..
    Is it possible during the capture to exclude the recovery.ppkg file via the dism.exe command(order)?

5. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    You mean that the SMW files under c:\recovery\oem\image are bigger than 4gb?

Or you mean that you have 1 big ppkg + severa swm files ?

6. patris971

patris971 MDL Novice

Dec 8, 2012
    In c: \ recovery \ oem \ image i have 6 smw file of 2gb so one which is a 7.49gb this is the exact size of the file C: \ Recovery \ Customizations \ recovery.ppkg i think when capturing- image via "DISM.exe / Split-Image" the file C: \ Recovery \ Customizations \ recovery.ppkg is not splitter that's why I was wondering if possible to exclude the file recovery.ppkg or the splitter during the capture ...

On the other hand
    mode 2 = Push-button reset only
    when creating recovery on usb the recovery.ppkg file of 7.49GB in D: \ sources \ Customizations is splitter in recovery.ppkg1 3.71Go ... recovery.ppkg2 3.71Go ... recovery.ppkg3 76Mb ..

7. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Insaw that the split option of DISM cannot split a file. It just split multiples files across multiple swm file but each file is kept in one piece.

I will have to see how I can split a ppkg file.

Excluding the ppkg file cannot be done. It it this file that is used during a push button recovery to reinstall files.

Inwill leepnyou informed if I find a sokution.

8. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    Thanks I hope you out a update :)

9. Memphis007

Memphis007 MDL Novice

May 29, 2015
    Hi,

And many thanks for this tool. I used it successfully on Windows 1803. Quick question though, can this be connected to the default recovery key from manufacturer ? I tried to use the "Press F11 for recovery" function from an UEFI HP notebook without success. Can someone point me in the right direction for this ?

10. hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006 MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2007
    #3170 hacktrix2006, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Seem to be having issues with capturing. It gives some errors out about some temp folder files and continues to do its thing however on booting back up to start capturing (doing a full image) it simple fails to do capture due to 0xc000000f Now it looks like it could be to do with BCD Store but I am not 100% here. However if I use Windows 10 flash drive to repair BCD it unseals the sysprep fine.

Edit: Ok found where it's failing it's not finding WinRE.wim Boot.SDI etc in the preparing stage.

11. Prof Magnneto

Prof Magnneto MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2017
    Dear All,

I want to do the following PARTITION SCHEME

Name
    GPT Installation script path
    \Windows 7\AutoUnattend\GPT Settings files path
    \Windows 7\Windows 7 Recovery Tools\Settings - Examples\GPT Target system
    UEFI / GPT Partition # Size File system Volume name Partition type Role Resizable?
    15000 Mb
    NTFS
    Recovery
    Primary
    Recovery image and tools
    Yes
    550 Mb
    FAT32
    System
    EFI
    Boot
    No
    128 Mb
    MSR
    N/A
    MSR
    System reserved
    No
    85000 Mb
    NTFS
    Windows
    Primary
    OS
    N/A
    All
    NTFS
    Database
    Primary

##########################################

Kindly, guide me where I have to make changes to get the above work.

I want to deploy Windows 7 x64 Bit

12. Prof Magnneto

Prof Magnneto MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2017
    Dear All,

Please share the Step by Step Windows 7 Demo using the RT 4.1.0

BR//
    MAGNETO

13. Prof Magnneto

Prof Magnneto MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2017
    Dear All,

Pl help me.

BR//
    MAGNETO

14. Prof Magnneto

Prof Magnneto MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2017
    #3174 Prof Magnneto, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Dear Chibi ANUBIS,

Pl Help me on this.

I want to do the following PARTITION SCHEME for "Windows 7 x64" using "OEM Recovery Partition Creator for Windows"

Partition # Size File System Volume Name Partition Type Role Resizable?

0 15000 MB NTFS Recovery Primary Recovery image and tools Yes

1 550 MB FAT32 System EFI Boot No

2 128 MB MSR N/A MSR System reserved No

3 85000 MB NTFS Windows Primary OS No

4 All NTFS Database Primary Storage N/A

Kindly, guide me where I have to make changes to get the above work.

BR//
    MAGNETO

15. Chibi ANUBIS

Apr 28, 2014
    #3175 Chibi ANUBIS, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    I understand your request, you need to change the Autounattend.xml.

But is not possible, we need to change everything.

Is possible to make all partition in your hard drive, but after the install OS. The script to make a recovery need to change also.

16. Prof Magnneto

Prof Magnneto MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2017
    Thanks for your reply, just tell me where I have to make change in the files.

17. Chibi ANUBIS

Apr 28, 2014
    First : you need to edit the Autounattend.xml in GPT for Windows installation create the partitions.
    Second : you need to edit the SettingsRE.txt in GPT folder for target the number of recovery partition

18. Prof Magnneto

Prof Magnneto MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2017
    Thanks Buddy,

I want to know what changes I have to make in the both files.

19. Chibi ANUBIS

Apr 28, 2014
    I going to try

20. Prof Magnneto

Prof Magnneto MDL Novice

Nov 9, 2017
    Are you done the testing??