OEM Recovery Partition Creator for Windows

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by AnarethoS, Sep 11, 2010.

1. silekonn

silekonn MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2011
  2. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    DaRT 10 is an important part of the Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP)
    [...]
    The Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP) is a portfolio of technologies available as a subscription for Software Assurance customers.

Sorry. Not free. I cannot put that in my tools!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Hi everyone.

Version 4.2.0 is nearly completed. I "just" have to completely test it in Vmware (full Windows 1903 install + Recovery creation + Media creation + USB restore).

What has changed :
    - Added ClamWim Portable to the recovery menu (to reduce size, virus definition would be DL on first use)
    - Added KickassUndelete in the recovery menu
    - Changed the icons and color for Windows 10 menu
    - Updated DoubleCommander in Windows 7/8/10
    - Had to remove Italian translation in Windows 10 due to new menu options
    - Support for Windows 1903 (The do not distribute package will also have the new Scanstate files)
    - Modified script to create recovery media. Hope it will fix the Error #4 I had sometime
    - Drivers injection in WinRE to support SATA/Network not supported by default (like for Intel Optane)

Also, due to the end of life of Windows in January 2020 and the low popularity of Windows 8/8.1, I decided to drop support for theses OS. The script will still include everything for theses OS but I won't offer any support neither I will update them if they stop working in a later time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    BTW, the two new included apps (ClamWim and KickassUndelete) can be replaced by your own tools. The icon name, text description and path to executable can be set in settings.ini so you may replace them with anything you want, even an anoter menu launcher with more apps.

5. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    @AnarethoS will try asap and let you know the results when the version will be complete at your side :)

6. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    I didn't like the portable apps, I thinck to stay on 4.1.1 for me

7. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    May I know why? I think they are usefull tools and takes really low space. Less than 30Mb.

8. Chibi ANUBIS

Apr 28, 2014
    Yes I know, but a Anti-Virus and a tool for recovery files deleted is not very nessassery. I prefer your Tools for Windows Recovery and Tools for modify or updated this recovery.

9. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Ok. I will add an option to opt-out of the "add-On" apps. If you don't want them, they will be removed from the computer and menu will not show the icons.

It will be an definitive choice during the installation of the Recovery Tools on the computer.

10. silekonn

silekonn MDL Junior Member

Mar 5, 2011
    If you include the software on people's computers they need to understand how it will help them. Your target audience for RT is anyone and mostly novices. We all use this for those foolish friends and family, not ourselves.

The target audience for people that will take the time to use ClamWin or an undeleter is narrow. Part may be the lack of definition for the utilities. It is not clear that would improve if directions were provided.

The idea to augment the functionality is great. Taking that somewhere useful is difficult. FWIW I fully support the idea and the types of tools, if not those directly. What might be easier is to include a link to ninite.com or something that does a similar job such as PatchMyPC. Just some spitballing. TY

11. Chibi ANUBIS

Apr 28, 2014
    Thank you I agree :)

Yes Ninite is a great tool, I confirm that !

12. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    I always use Ninite on the computer I install to add the following apps
    - Chrome
    - Firefox
    - Thunderbird
    - Libre Office
    - Notepad++
    - 7zip
    - WinDirStat
    - And few others

13. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Well, no one of my fried dare to use the tools. Thay always bring me back their computer for reinstall. Sure, I use my own tools. But seeing that, I think that addig a few tools in it won't harm anyone.

14. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    HI everyone!

4.2.0 is out!

Here is the list of new features/change/etc.
    Code:
    Added: Option to inject drivers into the recovery environment of Windows 10
    Added: Support for Windows 10 1903
    Added: Antivirus and undelete tools in Windows 10 recovery menu
    Added: Enabling system restore in Windows 10 on first boot

Fixed: French in Windows 10
    Fixed: Error #4 when creating recovery media in Windows 10

Removed: Italian for Windows 10 due to new menu

Changed: Icons for Windows 10 recovery menu

Hope you will like it!

Thanks and let me know!

PS : I dropped support for Windows 7/8/8.1. This mean that I will continue to ship my tools with everything for theses OS but I won't update them anymore. I won't fix bug in them neither will I try to fix them if a future OS patch make them unusable.

I MAY remove them if future release. In that case I will make them downloadable in a different package.

Windows 7 will die in 2020 and Windows 8/8.1 was never really used. Most users of 8/8.1 switched to Windows 10 anyway.

I updated DoubleCommander for all OS, including 7/8/8.1 in this package. I won't anymore in the future.

15. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    Thanks AnarethoS will test it and give you feedback asap. :)

16. puzzeld

puzzeld MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2012
    Tools Used: Recovery Tools 4.2.0
    Windows 10 1903 installation - UEFI - Default
    Disk used: SSD

I'm on the last stage of installation, that is 10.5 Recovery tools installation
    When I execute the "Install - Windows10.cmd, the whole process starts and completes but when I look that C:\ drive I don't see C:\Recovery directory

What am I missing or doing wrong?

17. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    The folder is hidden :)

Enable show hidden file or simply type in the "Run" the full path (c:\recovery\oem)

18. puzzeld

puzzeld MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2012
    Only hidden folder is ProgramData and nothing else.

Sorry but this is very confusing.

cmd is showing me that: Base files where copied successfully, but no such directory exists in C:

19. puzzeld

puzzeld MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2012
    #3339 puzzeld, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    but when use "Run" as per your suggestion, the c:\recovery\oem is there, thank you.

Now I'm moving to the second part of 10.5

20. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    The folder is not only hidden but is a system folder. You must ask to see system folder also