OEM Recovery Partition Creator for Windows

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by AnarethoS, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Bashir khan

Bashir khan MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2016
    hey mate thank you for every thing you doing i been using your recovery tools since 2013 begging with windows 7 8 then 10
    with w7 we have startup recovery button f7 and separated recovery driver the super perfect one to have all your application install and able to use them after each restore
    with w8.1 no startup key but still you had give us recovery drive was perfect since we had recovery and completing installation with installed application after each restore
    with w10 no startup key and recovery drive no application can get saved and after each restore you have to reinstall the application and some time the driver to
    comparing: windows 7 was 99.99% was same from head to toe as factory installation come from hp dell eg...
    windows 8 and 8.1 were perfect too had recovery every thing were close to factory installation
    windows 10 has no recovery option no startup key you can't save your application all normal windows w10 installation has option to restore option without delete or with date
    while the HP and Dell laptop with factory installed windows come with f11 startup recovery key separated (HP DELL) Recovery drive with most application backup in there
    sir will you able to make it like Windows 7 for Windows 10

Regard: Seven7i

2. Bashir khan

Bashir khan MDL Novice

Jun 8, 2016
    hey mate thank you for every thing you doing i been using your recovery tools since 2013 begging with windows 7 8 then 10
    with w7 we have startup recovery button f7 and separated recovery driver the super perfect one to have all your application install and able to use them after each restore
    with w8.1 no startup key but still you had give us recovery drive was perfect since we had recovery and completing installation with installed application after each restore
    with w10 no startup key and recovery drive no application can get saved and after each restore you have to reinstall the application and some time the driver to
    comparing: windows 7 was 99.99% was same from head to toe as factory installation come from hp dell eg...
    windows 8 and 8.1 were perfect too had recovery every thing were close to factory installation
    windows 10 has no recovery option no startup key you can't save your application all normal windows w10 installation has option to restore option without delete or with date
    while the HP and Dell laptop with factory installed windows come with f11 startup recovery key separated (HP DELL) Recovery drive with most application backup in there
    sir will you able to make it like Windows 7 for Windows 10

Regard: Seven7i

3. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    1) The part that allows booting the recovery tools when pressing a button (liek F7) was customizable in Windows 7. Starting with Windows 8, Microsoft removed the previous way of doing that. the new method depends onf the manufacturer of the computer to embed, in the UEFI, a boot option that search for boot data on a particuler folder in the UEFI partition. Each manufacturer search in a different place. My current Dell XPS search in "\dell\sos" folder while regular boot search in "\microsoft\boot".

You could re-use your manufacturer way of calling the boot option if you know the path it use, copy the current boot files there, and modify them with BCDEDIT to boot the Recovery Environment automatically. But you need to know that path. The computer must support it (no chance with Windows 7 era PC or clones), etc. Or you must find a way to modify the UEFI of the computer to use your own path.

So, basically, I can't do anything for that since it is by desing. Don't forget that my tools is made to use existing stuff on the computer and build around them, not to replace tham which can cause compatibility issue. Also, with the Secure Boot stuff toady, there is not way for me to change any settings in the boot process.

2) I don't know exactly what you did wrong, but my tools, on all my computer with Windows 10, recover the applications I have installed prior the capture. Also, I have both option to do a "refresh" which basically reinstall Windows 10 + apps + drivers and keep previous file in the Windows.Old folder (or move them in the reinstallation) or to do a clean "reinstall" that completly wipe everything.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Asterix4you

Asterix4you MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2017
    #3464 Asterix4you, Jun 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
    Hi AnarethoS, I would have this need if you can.
    • After SYSPREP and restart PC, OOBE (no generalize) the active Administrator user with access,
    • ask for Active Directory migration,
    • each time you create users install an .exe file only once.

Is that possible?

Windows 10 Enterprise x86 (10.0.19043.1023)

5. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    To prevent Generalization, you must edit the Sysprep.CMD file ans edit the following line :
    START /WAIT C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\SysPrep.exe /generalize /oobe /quit /unattend:C:\Recovery\OEM\XML\UnAttend.%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%.Xml
    You may have to modify the referenced XML file also.

To enable the built-in Administrator account, you can alsway edit the OOBE-Custom.cmd file in the scripts folder and add something like :
    NET USER Administrator /active:yes
    WMIC path Win32_UserAccount WHERE "Name='Administrator' and Domain='%COMPUTERNAME%'" set PasswordExpires=false

For the directory migration, I don't know. Maybe check for available paramters for the unattend.xml file or play with the OOBE-Custom.cmd file

For the auto-install of an EXE, you can alway edit the registry for the Default_User and add a key in the RunOnce section ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Please note that I am currently working on testing my solution on Windows 11.

There is a problem when using the "Full Image - Wim" option.
    WinRE don't automatically mount the volumes and, as such, the capture fails.

I already have a workaround for that part but I must complete other test before releasing a Windows 11 compatible version.

Thanks.

7. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    I will also add support for 21H1 (Scanstate files in the package) and I will also update the bood files used for the recovery media in Windows 1X.

8. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    Normally, when a new OS is supported, I change the major version. But since I already switched from 4.X to 5.0.0 in the last update and the fact that Windows 11 is basically Windows 10 with a skin, I will just consider it as a minor update (5.0.1).

9. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    5.0.1 is done.

- Added support for Windows 11
    - Added support for Windows 10 21H1
    - Added the option to install Appx package after OOBE (Windows Store Apps). You must provide the Appx file by using some tools to download them from the Microsoft store OR use Microsoft Store for Business to download all files.

10. Thank you downloaded 3 Hrs ago when your domain dont have any changelog for this update :)

11. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    True!
    I put the 5.0.1 version on my web site and when I was starting to write my baglog section my GF asked me for something upstars and decided ton continue that the day after telling myelf that no one will download that fast.

Lol. Guess I was wrong!

12. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    @AnarethoS becareful for the 21H1 you put the build 22000 of ScanState, so is again the 19041...

13. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    upload_2021-7-14_11-58-33.png

Ok. For 21H1 I put the Windows 11. Don't know why I mixed my files.

Anyway, for 2004, 20H2 and 21H1 it is the same.

I will fix that.

14. AnarethoS

AnarethoS MDL Expert

Jul 31, 2009
    I re-uploaded the Required Files. The 21H1=20H2=2004 for the files.

15. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    Welcome :D

16. LuCeR0

LuCeR0 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    #3476 LuCeR0, Aug 4, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    @AnarethoS, muchas gracias por este maravilloso proyecto, ya había realizado anteriormente unas pruebas en Windows 7, ahora hice pruebas en 5 equipos de escritorio, instalando Windows 11 y personalice el archivo ReCreatePartitions.txt, para adaptar a mis necesidades el disco duro, encontrando los siguientes inconvenientes.

- al iniciar la instalación de windows y lanzar Diskpart (SHIFT+F10) me di cuenta que no siempre es la unidad D:\ para escribir la instrucción para particionar el disco duro siendo necesario buscar en otra unidad por ejemplo DISKPART /S E:\ScriptName.txt

- Si se tiene instalado en el equipo un Lector de Tarjetas Multi Card Reader , al particionar el disco duro tecleando la instrucción.

X:\Sources>DISKPART /S D:\ScriptName.txt

me marcaba el siguiente error en la linea 20 del archivo ReCreatePartitions.txt

Diskpart redujo correctamente el volumen en. 700 MB
    100 por ciento completado
    Diskpart formateo el volumen correctamente.

Error del servicio de disco virtual:
    La letra de unidad especifica no esta libre para poder asignarla.

Nota: la solución fue desconectar el lector de tarjetas multicard.

- en uno de los equipo donde hice pruebas me salio este inconveniente:

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
    Version: 10.0.22000.1

Image File : C:\Recovery\OEM\Capture.wim
    Image Index : 1
    Saving image
    [==========================100.0%==========================]
    Unmounting image
    [==========================100.0%==========================]
    The operation completed successfully.
    Cleaning Old Files
    No se pudo encontrar C:\Recovery\OEM\Temp\FindRecovery.txt
    Running Sysprep
    CORRECTO: el proceso con PID 5244 (proceso secundario de PID 5216)
    ha sido terminado.
    ERROR: no se encontró el proceso "WMPNETWK.EXE".

-Me marco error al querer realizar un medio de recuperación en una unidad USB.

17. Gazer022

Gazer022 MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2015
    /resetbase for cleanup windows updates will break the "reset this pc" or It just me.?

18. only for 17763 build or prior ones it will break reset this pc feature but not current builds

19. Gazer022

Gazer022 MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2015
    #3479 Gazer022, Aug 12, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    Maybe there is something wrong with my step for this OEM Recovery when I am testing the Reset Feature. The Recovery from the usb flash drive is working fine.

Gonna test the again another time.

[edit]
    I really made a mess. i clean up plus /resetbase the live system before running the recovery setup which make it a double process.

20. LuCeR0

LuCeR0 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    #3480 LuCeR0, Aug 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2021