OEM XP Home after replacing the hard disk or motherboard

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Exalted Erick, May 17, 2009.

1. Exalted Erick

Exalted Erick MDL Novice

May 17, 2009
    #1 Exalted Erick, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
    If I replaced this hard disk or motherboard, could I enter the HP SLP key in Windows Product Activation wizard to bypass online/phone activation, or must I create an OEM XP Home install disc and then enter the HP SLP key? Please explain how to create the install disc step by step, as I'd like a clean copy of Windows XP Home, without the HP-Compaq bloat-ware.

2. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    #2 dobbelina, May 17, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If as dobbelina says you still have your original installation then unpack this Building a Pre-activated CD from an existing installation.zip file and run the getfiles.bat this will get the Oembios files and key for you it will also make a basic Winnt.sif. You could also have a look and see if there is a i386 folder in windows if so you could use that to replace the one on a windows xp home cd.

Attached Files:

4. Exalted Erick

Exalted Erick MDL Novice

May 17, 2009
    #4 Exalted Erick, May 17, 2009
    Last edited: May 17, 2009
    (OP)
    If I replaced the hard disk, would I need an SLP key?

I'd like to leave my computer as is until the time comes to replace the motherboard. When it does, how would I keep this copy of XP Home activated?

Urie, I have an I386 folder located at C:\Windows, which has all the files you mentioned.

5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If you replace the hard disk you need to grab your oembios files and key first you will also need an xp home oem disk and copy the files you grabbed with Building a Pre-activated CD getfiles.bat, to the i386 folder.

you would be better backing up your drivers also. but if you change the motherboard you will need to request a modded bios try and get a motherboard with an AMI or Award bios.

6. Exalted Erick

Exalted Erick MDL Novice

May 17, 2009
    Urie, since I already have an I386 folder with all the necessary OEM files and key, do I still need to download your "building a pre-activated CD from existing installation" attachment, or could I burn the I386 folder to DVD to create the OEM XP Home install disc?

I have three keys: the COA sticker on the outside of my tower, the HP SLP here and in my oobeinfo.ini file, and a PID. What key would I need?

Where are all my device drivers located?

Do I request a modded BIOS here or download a program to create one?

7. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  8. Exalted Erick

Exalted Erick MDL Novice

May 17, 2009
    Urie, could a modified BIOS cause system instability? Once I make my BIOS SLP-key supported, could I revert to my original BIOS to install a retail copy of another Windows OS?

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    modded bios wont affect your windows installations you can revert back to original and bye original i don't mean the bios for your hp board you have just now but original bios for new board but once it is modded you wont want to go back you can install oem slp for xp and oem slic for vista you dont need to buy retails disks you can make oem ones.:D

10. Exalted Erick

Exalted Erick MDL Novice

May 17, 2009
    Could a modded BIOS damage it? Broken features, erratic PC performance, or anything else risky?

11. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Not by adding slp into dmi. For other that HP OEM, you will need a more invasive mod for Award bios. AMI is gravy.:D

I seriously doubt you will notice any ill effects. No additional code is written, only text strings. :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Exalted Erick

Exalted Erick MDL Novice

May 17, 2009
    Since I want to make the OEM XP Home install disc for a new, future motherboard, should I wait until then to create the OEM XP Home install disc? If I created it now, would any of my files be changed and make this copy of XP Home damaged?

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Make the OEM as you want it, then modify the motherboard BIOS to the SLP string you need.

If you make a dell disk now, for every MB you change, make the BIOS have a dell string.
    If you make it once, it will be good until you want another OEM..

14. Exalted Erick

Exalted Erick MDL Novice

May 17, 2009
    Read this...

There appear to be two primary variants of OA 2.0 hacks circulating. One is similar to the XP approach I described above where actual editing of the BIOS on the motherboard is done to make the motherboard appear to be from an OEM. It is a pretty labor-intensive process and quite risky. If you mess up editing the BIOS of any motherboard, you can quite easily render it permanently useless. So while this method works today, it's potentially hazardous and really doesn't scale well to large numbers of systems, which makes it less of a threat.

Good thing I ask the important questions.

15. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    #15 FreeStyler, May 18, 2009
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
    OA 2.0 hacks???

You are talking about SLP 1.0 here not SLP 2.0, no damage is done (normally) by adding/modifying a DMI string.
    BTW, i would not suggest not to choose to use the DELL DMI strings, DELL is a picky one, use "Hewlett-Packard" instead as this is 100% guaranteed to work

16. Exalted Erick

Exalted Erick MDL Novice

May 17, 2009
    No, the article alludes to 1.0 (XP) and mentions 2.0.

17. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Keep reading...

You can add dmi strings for hewlett packard without having to flash the bios.

SLP1.0 is for XP..

SLP2.0 is the SLIC code added to the bios for Vista.

Adding strings to existing text is not dangerous to your bios, changing this text is not dangerous, you must keep the modules the same compressed size...not difficult. You must place some of the strings at particular addresses in the bios, sometimes this is difficult or impossible.

Adding slic code and the resultant calls to the address is very picky and can quickly brick a board..we are very good at this too..:D

Where is this article you cite..I would like to read it..I would venture a guess it is quite old ..

18. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    It just states that an improperly modded bios may brick...we all know that. It is not for everyone, but softmods break installs...

We have been very careful and have gotten very good at certain things. Any mod or bios flash is risky.

SLP 2.0 is risky, as pointers and code are added to bios...

SLP1.0 is not as risky..any bios flash is risky

The softmods are garbage..they will be deactivated at every update. Not worth the problems they cause with the bootloader.

The WGA hacks are junk as well. I have only found one software crack for XP that I have tested for years and has not failed yet..I stress YET.

The article states nothing new. The SLIC bios is almost factory, the bios with SLP strings added are almost factory. The softmods will not last and are easily identified.

If you want to play, you may have to pay.....:D

1...Take a chance with bios mod
    2... reload your vista every 90 days
    3... or buy the OS..

Any more important questions???

19. Exalted Erick

Exalted Erick MDL Novice

May 17, 2009
    I know you're good at what you do, but as good as you are, you could brick somebody's board, and then they're out the money. It's not worth the risk.

I support you. Micro$oft is underperforming (Vista) and overpricing, so they deserve to be pirated. A novice computer user doesn't know that an OEM version of Windows expires with that computer's motherboard. I didn't 4.5 years ago. You're allowed to return the software to the manufacturer for a refund, but most don't honor it. My next PC will be self-built with a retail copy of Windows. I'm sticking with XP, so 80 beans isn't much for the next ten years or such. XP has all I need and then some.