Partitioning drive for Windows 10 backup?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rootbot, Dec 25, 2017.

1. Rootbot

Rootbot MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2017
    I am trying to do the process from r/piracy where you install windows 10 ltsb, (its called: "Full guide - installing and activating windows 10 ltsb")

But I have many games and files I don't want to lose. Is it possible for me to

1. Make another partition (2)

2. Put my files on partition 2

3. Install windows LTSB on partition 1

4. Move the things from partition 2 back to partition 1

5. Delete partition 2

6. Add the partition 2 space back to partition 1

2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Possible but not easy to do so good luck with finding the right answer which will be provided soon I guess

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's dependent the Installer Version used by the App! If the Installer gives you the possibility for to choose the Destination for that install, it may work just fine. Just keep in mind, that those didn't mind you could just start the App/Game from a different Windows Installation, even you use the exact same version, architecture etc.! If that App/Game need to add some files and for sure some settings etc. to the Windows Partition, that may end up with errors in case you need to use a different Windows Installation!

That said, you've to be careful and expect something may happen! Don't expect it will work! I on my own used only one Game which you just could install at any Location/Drive/Partition you want and it still will work just fine and that Game is X-Plane (all Version)!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. rockyanexpert

rockyanexpert MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Creating/deleting partition is easy - use paragon partition manager.

5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #5 pf100, Dec 26, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    For years I've updated non-updateable Windows versions like this (works with xp through 10):
    1) Boot from a linux flash drive or if you prefer, the Windows Recovery Environment (WRE) or something else. The reason for Linux is that it doesn't care about Windows file permissions and will move every file without problems that you may encounter using the windows recovery environment, but it's your choice. You don't have to know how to use linux if you use it, we're just going to make folders and move stuff with the file manager.
    2) Using the linux file manager, or with WRE make a folder on the Windows system drive (X:\ or whatever) called "Old Windows". you can call it anything except "Windows.old".
    3) Cut and paste the contents of the entire drive to that folder (usually only takes a few seconds).
    4) Now your install partition has just one folder "X:\Old Windows" with your complete old install in it. Okay, now we're done with Linux or WRE (unless #6 happens).
    5) Now boot from your Windows installation media. Install any version of Windows to the same partition you had windows on before but don't format the drive during install.
    6) During install, Windows may move the "Old Windows" folder to "Windows.old". If it does, boot from the Linux flash drive or WRE again and move the "Old Windows" folder back to the root of the drive and delete the now empty "Windows.old" folder. If you don't, and you leave everything in the "Windows.old", Windows will auto-delete "Windows.old" after a period of time. You don't want that to happen.
    7) Now cut and paste the old windows folder contents to new windows folders (For instance, cut and paste all files from the "X:\Old Windows\Users\(User name)\Documents" to "X:\Users\(User name)\Documents. Then do the same with Pictures, Videos, Music, Downloads. You want to cut, not copy, so that you can eventually delete the "Old Windows" folder after you've moved everything (don't forget to save your games save game files). Ctrl-Z (Undo) is your friend.
    8) After your personal files are moved to their new location then you can move software folders to their new location. Most software won't work like that without being reinstalled. Some of it will. Most games will still work but will throw errors because you need to install directx and/or vb runtimes.
    9) After you get everything working to your satisfaction you can then delete the "X:\Old Windows" folder.
    10) This sounds complicated, but is very easy (making the linux flash drive takes the longest time) after you've done it once, and it doesn't require backing up or messing with partitions.

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Creating and deleting partitions is easy, you can even do it live with the on-board Disk Manager.

Avoiding loss of files is even easier, just back them up on an external drive, which you should do anyway if they are valuable.

Moving (personal) things from one partition to another is equally easy.

But once you've backed up your files, you can wipe the drive clean, do whatever you like with system and partitions, and them restore your files wherever you want.