Poll "Will You Be Upgrading To Windows 11?"

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by endbase, Aug 16, 2021.

?

Will You Be Upgrading To Windows 11 or Stay On Windows 10 ?

1. Yes

405 vote(s)
    42.8%
  2. No

310 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. Maybe

231 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. parafer

parafer MDL Member

Dec 20, 2016
    ^^ Wisdom ^^

2. EaglePC

EaglePC MDL Expert

Feb 13, 2012
    Windows 10 LTSC sounds a better option right now who uses MS apps anyways

3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I've stated in another thread that I'm going to use Win11 for a month to truly get an honest assessment, provided I can.
    I'm going to test drive the OS and kick the tires a bit. After that I'll be going back to Win10 LTSC.
    When the new Win10 LTSC comes out, I'll almost certainly switch to that.

The reason I prefer LTSC versions is two-fold. First off, I hate the Windows Store and the associated apps. I don't like phone apps in general. When I'm out and about and I have to waste time and tinker around on a phone app it's very frustrating. They all annoy me. I don't like the input design. I don't like the constant advertisement interruptions. Secondly, beyond just the missing store and apps, there is less bloat in general. The edge app is not there. The cortana app isn't there. The cloud storage app onedrive that sits in your tray icons spot isn't installed. These might seem like trivial differences but to a guy like me, they are huge differences in an OS.

Long in the future I may try Win11 LTSC, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Maybe when that happens they'll fix the UI and some of the other issues so it doesn't seem so unthinkable.

4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^
    same here no doubt ;):D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Both, already dual booting.

6. flyboynm

flyboynm MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    I will NOT be upgrading to Windows 11 anytime soon. After all the Microsoft releases that I have gone through over the years, I have found it isn't too wise to upgrade to the "latest and greatest" as soon as it comes out; you wait until the first service pack/revision to be done before you do it.

7. W7U

W7U MDL Junior Member

Feb 19, 2017
    Certainly not right away.

I will have to try Windows 11 out on VMware to see what unneeded stuff needs to be removed via NTLite. Whether I go for Pro or Enterprise depends on whether I can turn off the so-called consumer experiences in the former.

8. BlackScout

BlackScout MDL Member

Aug 4, 2016
    #48 BlackScout, Sep 16, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
    Changed my vote to No.
    1. They haven't fixed the L3 Cache Performance issues on AMD on the Beta branch, which leads me to believe it will either take a while or will only happen in 2022.
    2. The taskbar is atrocious. Where is the Task Manager shortcut? Why can't I drag files over icons of programs on it? Why did they remove useful features everybody loved?
    3. The Start Menu is atrocious. Going back to 10 I noticed how much better it is to use its Start Menu. Both in terms of UX and UI. Windows 11 makes you unnecessarily move your mouse a few cm/inches more for absolute no reason. Probably a decision made to prevent "fat-fingering" in their stupid "mobile-oriented" design philosophy.
    4. Context Menus are a mess and require extra clicks to perform simple tasks. The rename, copy, paste functions should have remained the same. I always kept on pressing Shift F10 because I didn't realize the icons were meant to do those tasks. Lack of redundancy resulting in bad UX.

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    If not rhetorical, in x-start menu:D

10. BlackScout

BlackScout MDL Member

Aug 4, 2016
    Yeah, it forced me to move the taskbar icons to the center :l

11. testaccount66766

testaccount66766 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2020
    Meh, I think I’ll stick with Windows 10 and run 11 in a VM

12. dummekuehe

dummekuehe MDL Senior Member

Jan 11, 2009
    #53 dummekuehe, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    I have to say no.
    Is it still possible to get the old taskbar back?

Getting Windows 10 to run fast enough and disable all the unwanted crap already takes a while and now in Windows 11 i'll have to restore the complete UI to a usable one on top of that? I don't think so.

The taskbar is like someone slapped a very bad shell replacement on Windows. I can't do s**t with it. Can't drag the whole thing to the left side of the screen. Even Mac OS can do that. I can't use any of the old software anymore to add functionality to the taskbar. I can't pin folders as submenus to the taskbar.
    If they completely rip it out of the OS I hope Tihiy rises to the occasion and brings us TaskbarIsBack.
    Because at one point they'll force us to move because of a new directx that won't be available for Windows 10 and Software/Games that won't run unless you have Windows 11.
    Total s**tshow Microsoft.
    I wish they'd come to their senses and bring back the early Windows 10 build 98XX UI.
    Or maybe even better the Windows 7 UI where you didn't have to waste resources to their stupid UWP bulls**t or whatever it is called now.

EDIT: Thanks @pf100 for the link

13. AzTec

AzTec MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #55 Espionage724, Sep 26, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    I'll likely give it another go once it releases, but I doubt I'll switch to it primarily. It's offering me nothing beneficial, and appears to still degrade performance on Ryzen needlessly. The UX changes are annoying as well, and the thought of having to fix it with 3rd-party software is gross. My hardware is old enough to not likely have any benefits too (RX 580, 2700X).

Unrelated, but I can't wait until ALVR is usable on Linux for VR so I can go back to Linux primarily. I want an OS that just stays out the way without running unnecessary background tasks, and takes full-advantage of my hardware. Even with the scheduler improvements W10 got several builds ago, 21H1/19043 still benches notably slower with Geekbench with my 2700X compared to Linux.

15. Nykto

Nykto MDL Junior Member

Oct 3, 2015
    Given that I'm staying on 7, I voted no

16. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Geekbench is irrelevant cross-platform, "same version of Clang" is just bull and always has been - the benchmark is flawed, period

17. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I'll stay on Windows Me
    So what
    :tooth: