Private Winten - Open Source Windows 10 privacy tool with built in Firewall

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by DavidXanatos, Dec 23, 2018.

1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos MDL Senior Member

May 23, 2010
    To remove the custom event log entry run
    Code:
    Remove-EventLog -LogName "PrivateWin10"
    From an elevated powershell prompt.

I will look into running the AppLog locally (i.e. without using the windows event log) when the tool is not being installed as a service.

2. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Also please run the tool from an elevated (a.k.a. administrator) command prompt (console/terminal window) it than will log a lot of debug information into the console window, which may alow me to pinpoint the Issue better.

I have added options to uninstall the tool by specyfyind the command line option "-uninstall"

Try the new build and when the memory usage becomes to much use the newly added clear firewall log option.

3. omez75

omez75 MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2019
    hello, I have many problems on my pc in the daily use of your beautiful application. Can you tell me how I can uninstall it from the windows services without having further inconveniences?

4. omez75

omez75 MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2019
    my antivirus program no longer updates, I use ESET Nod32

5. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    if you have the latest build 0.57 then you can run "PrivateWin10.exe -uninstall" to remove the service and custom event log.

6. b0unty

b0unty MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    #87 b0unty, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
    still same memory problem and i can't join an log image

7. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    what does "can't join an log image" mean?
    describe more in Detail the issue, is the high memory load there form the start or doest it gadually grow?
    how many MB does it gro per hour?

Try clearing the DNS log.

Cheers
    David

8. b0unty

b0unty MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
  9. Skunk1966

Skunk1966 MDL Member

Jul 15, 2011
  10. b0unty

b0unty MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    yes i have priv10 installed as service
    i tested both with & without the service
    both process grow gradually
    yes the UI process running as administrator and my UAC is set to disabled

11. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    @b0unty
    Ok, and when it runs as service, which instance grows in memory usage the UI process or the service process?
    the UI process will be running under your user name while the service process runs as SYSTEM user.

12. b0unty

b0unty MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    #97 b0unty, Nov 22, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
    @DavidXanatos

started @ 17h30
    user process = 91.256kb
    system process = 25.868kb

checked @ 17h45
    user process = 91.704kb
    system process = 251.252kb

checked @ 18h00
    user process = 90.436kb
    system process = 343.876kb

this is 30 minutes of my task manager result
    have fun & thx for priv10 :)

PS 30 minutes more ...
    checked @ 18h30
    user process = 67.488kb
    system process = 409.840kb
    checked @ 20h00
    user process = 54.812kb
    system process = 974.676kb

13. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    @DavidXanatos

Nothing against your Task Explorer/Task Manager but what is wrong with ProcessHacker? You could code or provide a public plugin or contribute to it. I use ProcessHacker since several years now and I never had a single problem. I guess your develop power could do more good at the PH project (just my opinion). It's also hard to compete against ProcessHacker since it's basically not only a traditional Task Manager.

I like your Firewall app and Windows Updater utility, maybe you should focus on that because you already have a lot of big (and unpaid FOSS) projects. I only mean well here.

14. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Well the entire PH UI is how to put it nicely... cumbersome.

Disclaimer: In the past I was using TaskInfo for well over a decade so my views on how a task manager should look and feal is heavy influenced by that, but I really think that its UI approach is superior.

When you want to learn something about process details you need to open a new window, in that window some information is not auto refreshed.
    And if you want to see additional details you need to open yet an other sub window, which is not auto refreshed eider.

For example:
    in PH when I want to see the stack of some thread that's a sub windows of a sub window
    in TE you can view this data in a side panel of the main window the upper half is the thread list and the lower one is the permanently auto updated call stack for the selected thread.
    In stead of opening and closing windows for different threads when inspecting them here you just select different threads with mouse or arrow keys.
    Its a much faster workflow, much less clicking around.

Or another example:
    in PH when I want to see what files a program is working on, for example by watching the open file handles and observing the changes in the reported file position, i have to use a sub window of a sub window and it does not have a refresh at all, so i need to re open that multiple times to see if it changed for every file. That's almost unusable.
    in TE I have a side panel that shows all handles, auto updates the view swiftly and one of the columns is the file position, which I can even sort by.

An other thing I'm missing in PH is a per process view of open sockets, a global view like in PH is much more cumbersome to use than just having a side panel showing all the sockets of the currently selected process.

And the toolbar graphs, they are so small that they are almost useless.

And the display for network usage and disk IO being split into separate pages for every device is not great at all, a more merged view would be better imho.

And many other minor annoyances that add together to become a real burden.

Some of that issues could indeed be remedied with plugins but changing the UI from a multi window design to a panel based one is outside the scope of plugins.

The PH UI is simply very basic an not very well polished, certainly to a large part because its written in C without using any advanced UI framework. Making all necessary changes to improve it a lot would take also a lot of work, I mean, besides, I want it to look and feal like TaskInfo just better (and not hopelessly outdated).
    Hence I felt like creating a new GUI from scratch that would look the way I like it using a powerful framework like Qt while using the process hacker library would be the best way to go.

15. b0unty

b0unty MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012