Problem with lenovo and update Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by lievre, Nov 6, 2017.

1. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I have a lenovo Flex 2-15D Laptop

Windows 10 install version 1609

Everytime i tried to update to 1709 via windows update or with a usb stick, the computer always freeze on the reboot.

So when i manually close the computer, windows roll back.

Any idea or suggestion

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Try disabling your antivirus, and how long are you waiting before you shut off your pc?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    There is no antivirus. I've wait from 1 hour to 1 day

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    does that model have a optic drive....if it does try to install via disk.

5. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    i've tried that also, no luck MS_User

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    What version do you have?
    And if really something such as You say, then is it the only os in this pc? Or You have there something more installed?

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    go into the BIOS and reset it to default and see if it works. have u done any changes in their? also D\L another fresh copy make sure the image your using could have some kind corruption.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Have you checked the setup.log file for more information?

If you have, boot from a WindowsPE like that StrelecPE and check all relevant log files for information! If there's any Error/Stop code, check that on MS Website for a clue!

Also, disable Defender before starting upgrade!

9. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    To Ms, reset the bios, still no luck.
    To
    kaljukass1703 v15063.674 and i want to update to 1709 v16299.19

Now i'm trying to install it with defender Off.

To pisthai there is no log file
    Lievre

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Er...?!

I'd the same problem on 2 machines the last few days after I got several computers damaged by Lightning: both needed installation of 8/8.1 first and get activated, and both could not reactivate 1709!
    The first I needed to reinstall Windows 8 first, activate, upgraded to Windows 8.1, installed all available updates for 8.1 and upgraded from that to Windows 10 1709!
    The second was different, I wasn't able to install 1709 after 8.1, just could upgrade to 1703, that worked well. I used the same ISO of 1709 for all tries and also checked the File Checksums before any upgrade and that matched with the MS Checksum every time. Just, in the end, I downloaded the 1709 ISO again on that last machine again and used that one again for to upgrade to 1709 and that time it worked well. I come to that because I checked the log files and it showed an error of "not be able to extract and install windows_image" (not the exact word, just as I remember!), and that forced me to re-download the ISO from MS again and use the new one, even the old was show the correct Checksum!!

You'll have to check the setup.log file in the old Windows install, there I found that messages!

11. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    make sure your Laptop BIOS is fully updated, and also make sure your system files are not corrupted.

12. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    To Pisthai. I'm using the windows download tool from Microsoft to update, so every time, the tool download the files.

To Melerix. Bios was up to date, not working. So I've reset the bios to default, still not working.

I've try to install with Defender, off, still not working

Every time when the computer try to reboot to install the new version, the computer FREEZE on the logo version. So every time, the computer rollback to the old version.

Lievre

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    @lievre: Did you ever have check and compare the checksums of your downloads?

And: did you get any Error Code?

Maybe you read about such update problems I had the last few days here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...0c-while-upgarding-from-8-1-to-10-1709.75520/

I had such a bunch of problems with updating to the latest 1709 (Fall Update) on several machines which were burned by Lightning last week! I needed to download the ISO files (from MS Servers!) several times as well, even all times the checksums were OK to get everything to work again! And, that download needed to be done on the computer I was trying to upgrade from older versions (8/8,1/1703)! That install problem applied only to the 1709 version of Windows 10, the other, older version didn't had such problem!!

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #14 pisthai, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  15. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    No Error code, after the download, the computer install the first part of the update then the computer restart. This is where the computer freeze each time.

Right now i'm trying another way. Try to install with the media creation tool.

Let you know.

Lievre

p.s. If ii now working i will try the windows tool pisthai

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Windows 10 1709 is quite 'sensitive'! If nothing works, try to upgrade first to 1703! That worked on the last machine I had to repair after the Lightning! And I needed to download 1709 again after the upgrade to 1703 was complete, that download I already had, wasn't working anymore! So, that download was done with 1703 finally worked! Important: ALL available updates for 1703 must be done before trying to install/upgrade to 1709!!

17. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    Once upon a time, i got a similar issue during upgrading (don't remember what w10 release) : the culprit was a Logitech wireless USB mouse.

18. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's overall a very frustrating situation!!

I use on all computer Logitech wireless Keyboards and Mice, no problem at all! It may have something to do with the age of the device?! On that last machine, I had that problem and needed the first upgrade to 1703, the MB was an older DFI LAN Party MB, on all the other machines the Mainboards were new! Just on that DFI MB the internal LAN Port and Graphic Card. plus Memory and CPU was damaged and I used a NetExtreme Gigabit Card instead, the rest new Hardware!

Don't know how old is your Dell Machine?! Maybe you should try the way over 1703?!

19. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
  20. DariusGG

DariusGG MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2017
    Ye,thanks