Problem with Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dabour, Apr 9, 2022.

1. dabour

dabour MDL Member

Jan 17, 2014
    I need help with this issue please.
    Uninstalled Microsoft Edge and I'm left with an entry in the start menu and apps list with no icon.
    StartMenu.png EdgeApps.png
    Tried to fix this by "winget" and this is what is there:
    EdgeWinget.png
    I tried to reinstall Edge but the installer fails to start.
    InstallationFailure.png
    I have run sfc and scanhealth they reported no corruption. I also have no policy set for Edge in the group Policy editor and I did not change anything in th registry, if it happened it is that app that I used to uninstall it in the first place, I do not know what changes it may have made.

I have to admit this was a mistake and will appreciate any help.

2. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #2 xinso, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @dabour
    You just have messed things up a bit - on the first picture, there is a Microsoft Edge Lagacy shortcut in the start menu, but on the last picture you show how to install Microsoft Edge Cromium using the mini-installer (ps, it's not recommended, use the .msi full package installer instead).
    Also wold be interesting to know how You unsinstalled Edge and which Edge You're talking about, ie did uninstalled Edge Chromium or Edge Legacy?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dabour

dabour MDL Member

Jan 17, 2014
    #4 dabour, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
    (OP)
    @xinso Thanks for the info, I will us ethat in my next install for sure.

@kaljukass You bet I did :oops:
    I mean Chromium Edge and I used a script given to me by a friend I used it and this was the outcome. I will try to fine the .msi and see what will happen, and thanks @ for your time.

Update
    followed @kaljukass advice and it worked, but looks like only one step to clean the mess that I did, because now I'm getting this

36199-3c0f9e6b14eadf582846ff636e65e025.png

I did not change any permession before uninstalling, do not understand why this?

5. lightduty

lightduty MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2022
    I think he is referring to Edge Legacy. Can Edge Legacy be uninstalled? If yes, do you have the installer for Legacy version? Thanks

EDIT: Sorry didn't read the full thread. The issue is fixed now...

6. dabour

dabour MDL Member

Jan 17, 2014
    @lightduty

Not quite fixed as you can see in my last post
    EdgeBlock.png
    I did managed to install a business version of Edge not the original one, but I still cannot open it

7. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    • You probably don't know very well what is Business and what isn't or as You said "original one"?
    • And why it's blocked, did you ask the administrator?
    • Why do I see the Microsoft Edge WebView2 Runtime in the second image of your first post if you have Windows 10?
    • Looks like there is something very weird at all, is it all done by the administrator?
    • And if so, that administrator have blocked some options, then is clear why You can't install and update programs.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. dabour

dabour MDL Member

Jan 17, 2014
    @kaljukass
    • I said it was business because this is what the site I grabbed the .msi file from. Original I was talking about the normal install.
    EdgeSite.png
    • This is my machine and I'm the adminstrator, this isn't a company machine.
    • As for "Microsoft Edge WebView2", I was surprised as much as you are when I first saw it, I did not install it, it came from Windows Updates.

9. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #9 xinso, Apr 11, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2022
    Edge is default system package, and it will be updated to ChromiumEdge by LCU.