Project 10to7 (slimming down / debloating windows 10)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RanCorX2, Feb 20, 2018.

1. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    got the old windows updated integrated in control panel again, however is says the service isn't running and says access denied in services when i try and run it, downloading a few beta's of windows 10 to see when ms switched from the cpl to the settings app for wu, figured the 8.1 files aren't good enough, got all the files replaced and all the extra files added that ms removed + all the removed reg keys, wuaueng.dll is the culprit so i will look for a newer / older file and test it out.

2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    as I already say before dude the secret to develop/modify/change any version of Windows is essentially use of PowerShell v6.0.1including WMF 5.1 of Chocolatey website and PowerShell.org ;):)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    don't suppose you could elaborate on WMF 5.1 of chocolatey.
    i've looked it up and got Windows Management Framework but could see nothing about it being used to remove stuff from windows???

i'm still pretty much a powershell virgin, still prefer to do stuff the old school way with command prompt.

4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ RanCorX2 yep although I am also not much different from you when talking about powershell it really is quite complex to work with it unfortunately; but at least I have huge persistence so I could understand you need to work with wmf 5.1 + Windows SIM along with powershell but according to M$FT it is only possible to work on images from at least two previous editions of Windows and NOT on the current version :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    ah, gotcha, sim - system image manager, unattended / setup stuff.

i toyed with the idea of doing removals on an image but i found it easier to do the removals after installing windows (more control)

research stuff > work out how to remove stuff from image > make iso > install > yes works / no > bugger

install > research stuff > make batches / scripts > snapshot vm & externally backup batches / scripts > remove stuff > reboot vm > yes works / no > rollback > try again

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    if this your opinion ok ;):D

7. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    yeah, i've never been a huge fan of constantly making images, found it too time consuming.

8. nosirrahx

nosirrahx MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2017
    Even on an insanely fast computer the process is not fast.

9. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    Exactly, you know what I mean.

10. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #111 RanCorX2, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    (OP)
    still working on things; more stuff added to bonus folder

movie maker (vista)

dvd maker (vista) 7 version doesn't work, complains mpeg-2 encoder missing when it's not

windows media center 7/8 (from 7 with latest one over the top from 8.1, should restore stuff missing from the windows 8 version) exported nearly 500 reg entries, tested and working audio / video playback! no need to install via dism.

trying get the vista photo gallery app working atm, i remember it was a bit better than the photo viewer. the windows essentials one was crap with it's social integration and ribbon ui

edit, ok found something that works, vists photo gallery refused to load, did a little search and found windows live photo gallery which is basically the same thing as vista's app but works! from 2007 or 2008.

11. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    managed to remove update orchestrator and keep windows update working (now via powershell, see a few posts back in thread), now trying to remove delivery optimization which also breaks wu if the service is removed, so trying alternative methods.

12. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    wifi.jpg
    remember this from windows 7? managed to restore it, only had to replace wlanpref.dll + the mui.
    tried to get the view available networks features back (van.dll) but no success there, must have links to explore or shell32 or both...couldn't even get the windows 8 one working, just throws up error about procedure can't be found or something like that.

at least i got the old profiles cpl working though, that's something :)

13. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
  14. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    in that case i'll probably remove permissions as well, i restored the reg keys to reference the original wu files so uso was not called at all, even removed the service,
    draw back was i had to use the powershell module instead as wumt requires the uso service installed.

i did manage to get the old cpl to load but it wouldn't let me search for updates and kept saying the wu service was not running even though it was.

have put wumt & the powershell module in control panel Windows Update & Windows Update (PowerShell)

15. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #119 RanCorX2, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    (OP)
    made some changes to windows runtime removals, making it so a few things remain;

clock flyout, battery flyout (new / old, till i find out if old one can be made permanent) & network flyout (new / old)
    modern volume flyout is now gone due to replacing sndvol.exe & sndvolsso.dll with older files, new one doesn't show at all, even if you enable it in the reg.
    couldn't restore view available networks to 7 ui or even vista due to explorer / shell changes (guessing that) compromise is van.dll is from windows 10 build 9926 and netshell.dll from windows 8 build 8148, many of you are aware (i'm sure) of the ReplaceVan reg setting @ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Control Panel\Settings\Network

you have to take ownership of that key before you can change the setting.
    w81nfout.jpg
    0 = modern flyout
    1 = opens setting app
    2 = opens windows 8.x flyout

on original files the windows 8.x flyout works from;
    - connect to on the start menu
    - clicking tray network icon
    - clicking lock screen network icon (shows old flyout by default)

however it does not work if you click connect to in the legacy network connections folder, but with some old files it does work on there as well as the others.

screen (note the pink text and dark coloured connection list, this is because of the older file versions, on original files, flyout is all blue)

16. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    forget what i said about keeping flyouts, if i keep flyouts that means i have to keep shell experiences and the shell experience host.

the windows 8.x flyout works fine without the shell experience host, as it was there before explorer went full metro / modern.

sidenote i have now added manage wireless networks to control panel and restored the windows 7 regional cpl. (gets ride of the newer languages cpl)

current classic control panel consists of the following additions / changes;

Bluetooth Devices
    Bluetooth Settings
    Region and Language (7)
    Personalization (8)
    Notification Area Icons
    Windows Firewall (renamed)
    Action Center (renamed)
    Manage Wireless Networks (7)
    Users and Passwords (2000)
    System (8)
    Performance Information and Tools (8)
    Display (8)
    Desktop Gadgets (8)
    Backup and Restore (renamed)
    Folder Options (renamed)
    Windows Update (launches wumt, can also be launched from IE via the windows update link as the app has been renamed to wuapp)
    Windows Update (PowerShell) (launches wu pshell module, wuapp.bat)
    Network Connections
    Windows Defender (7, security essentials)

renamed = renamed back to what it was called in windows 7.