Project 10to7 (slimming down / debloating windows 10)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by RanCorX2, Feb 20, 2018.

1. superciliousdude

superciliousdude MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2012
    Sounds great. I can get wofadk.sys working as a filter driver in Windows 7 and I can apply a Windows 7 image with compression using wimlib, but the wof driver will not get loaded at boot time by Windows 7... How did you manage to boot it with compact deployment?

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I checked the wimlib forums and I found a registry script for loading the driver, but it still isn't loaded at boot for the system volume. wofadk.sys and compression works for other volumes after boot though...

2. cinescope

cinescope MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2018
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Wofadk

set start to 0

Anyway winntsetup does everything you need automagically

3. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #163 RanCorX2, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
    (OP)
    removed.

4. cinescope

cinescope MDL Novice

Apr 21, 2018
    If you took those numbers from folder -> properties, those numbers are very likely wrong

This because explorer, just like the vast majority of windows users (and coders) have no idea of what a hard link is, then counts the space twice for most of the windows files (three times for some o them)

5. riahc3

riahc3 MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    OK, since its obvious that noone has the balls to say it, Ill be real and say what everyone is thinking.

This is stupid as f**k.

First, it works FOR YOU. For the programs, you have installed. There are millions of other configurations out there where this will not work and the user will have a bad experience. Have you even tested this on several hardware platforms installing it physically instead of virtualization?

Second, unless you are using a PC from 1999, Windows 10 works fine. Its much faster than Windows 7 due to under the hood improvements which Im sure you didnt even stop to look at the technical documentation. To my surprise, its even faster in 1803

Third, Ive been using Windows 10 since probably the day Microsoft Toolkit came out. Ive used their UWP applications like..........3 times. Noone is forcing you. The only one I actually like and works great is Alarms.

Forth, the slobberfest of hacks you are doing is disgusting and vomiting. Calling a batch to update Windows? Making a s**tty HTML iframe with taskbar settings? AT LEAST, make it look good instead of a clusterf**k of paperclipped crap.

Fifth, just to prove your further stupidity, when you say that "feedback doesnt matter because Microsoft doesnt listen"...Havent you stopped and thinked that maybe, just maybe, they are actually receiving more positive feedback than negative? When you search online for something, anything, product or service, you are always going to find more "bad things" than "good things" because people love to complain. Hardly noone wants or has the time to say good things about something else.

Also, you mention that you included Pinball in this; That kind of distribution is illegal and will get you in hot water.

Stop wasting your life. Windows 10 is the future and will be the future. Applications will slowly drop support for Windows 8.x and Windows 7 so all of this is just a waste of your time.

Noone is forcing you to use Windows. Just use a Linux operating system and using application virtualization you can run your favorite Windows programs in a native format from a server.

You are probably some teenager as adults dont even waste time with this so my advice

1: Learn Powershell. It can get things done quickly and will help you if you want a career in IT
    2: Set a area you would like and concentrate it. Sysadmin, programming, designer, databases, networking, security, etc. all fields that will never become old or outdated.
    3: Get social. You will have plenty of time in your adult life to work on projects.
    4: Get to know other operating systems. Since Windows 95, Windows hasnt changed much (believe it or not). Try other OSs like CentOS (I mention CentOS before Ubuntu because enterprises use Red Hat before Debian so...) and OS X to the point that you know them like you know Windows.

6. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    @riahc3, you make some good points, but let @RanCorX2 do what he wants. I'm not going to use his project but that doesn't mean it won't be a learning experience for him. And maybe it just might be useful to someone. I mean, it's his project and he has every right to follow his ideas, right or wrong. Like I said, you do make some good points that he may learn from. No one is forced to use it. We're all learning here. Some of us are just more ahead of the curve than others. Thanks for your comments.

7. Puremin0rez

Puremin0rez MDL Senior Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I think this project is a bit silly too, but it's still interesting to see what kind of hack jobs people can accomplish.

@riahc3 your points are all valid but you are SUPER hostile, you can give feedback on someones project without resorting to insulting his intelligence and presumed age. Not great etiquette.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. kosamja

kosamja MDL Junior Member

Apr 21, 2012
    If you dont appreciate what someone is doing, then why bother to comment?

Not sure if you are kidding or you are serious, windows 10 works fast only if all uwp related things and services are disabled

He already said he doesnt know programming, and yet he is trying to make it all working correctly

I am still not sure if you are serious or kidding when talking positive about Microsoft...

You only saw Pinball? He included many dlls and other files from windows 7 and 8, not just pinball.

Who cares if Windows 10 is the future, all that matters is that UWP doesnt become the only option for windows programs in that future. Why would someone use such thing as Linux (excluding Android) as long as there is better OS (windows)?

9. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #169 RanCorX2, May 1, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
    (OP)
    really? if you metro uwp tablet xbox fanboys love the basic minimalist crap so much why are you in this thread? guess you like the direction that windows is heading.....dumbed down for the casuals. (xbox, tablet / touch / mobile users) and that people is the truth.

the whole one core thing forces desktop users to have and deal with all the extra features and design decisions all the other "basic" platforms are fapping over.

it's not cool, nothing needed changing, it's only changing so touch users can use windows easier....desktop users are getting a raw deal, bye bye old features, old ui, old control panel etc etc just so casual users can switch from other platforms to windows as it's "easier" to use now.

anyway, don't like it or agree, no one is forcing you to try this.

therefore if anyone is still interested, you can pm me for more info as i'm not posting anything else here as some of you are clearly trolls and not nice people.

p.s. i'm not a "teenager", i'm in my mid 30's, been using windows since 3.1 / 90's. Your the one wasting time, coming in someones thread just to insult and troll for no reason at all. It's people like you that disgust me, you shouldn't even be online or have a computer.

10. kosamja

Apr 21, 2012
    Lol, closed due to few troll comments... Is negative opinion of others really that annoying to you... Why not just ignore it?

11. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    read the comments, it's was more than a negative opinion, some people don't take nasty comments well, i just happen to be one them.
    doesn't mean i'm giving up on this, just means i'm probably not going to share it here now, probably go to another site with a better community.

if the above tool's comments are correct he's basically said that all the other projects are dumb as well. i.e. vlite, nlite, ntlite, winreducer etc.

anyways, i'm done with this thread now, so mods can close it.

12. kosamja

Apr 21, 2012
    msfn?

13. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    winclassic or msfn. but this is really my last reply here.

Thanks for the users who were supportive of this project.

14. superciliousdude

superciliousdude MDL Novice

Dec 21, 2012
    I don't have a strong opinion on your other comments, but I have to point out that the Windows kernel changes between Windows 7 and Windows 10 have caused a huge performance regression (~35%) for some workloads. This is also apparent on Windows Server 2012 R2 vs Windows Server 2016 which I assume have been affected by the same changes. Even simple system calls to VirtualAllocEx() for example can take 3 times as long under modern kernels on NUMA systems compared to Windows 7, and bear in mind that this is from measurements taken before the meltdown/spectre issues were known, and the performance of the newer kernels is likely even worse now. Allocating huge pages used to be instant, on the order of nano-seconds under older kernels, but it is literally billions of times slower now taking several seconds to allocate and deallocate a big memory buffer using huge pages. It is true that there are also lots of performance improvements, but I have many workloads that run 20-25% faster under Windows 7 and Server 2012 R2 than under Windows 10 (Build 14393) and Server 2016.

Also, if you run lots of small virtual machines to isolate tasks, you will find that Windows 7 uses around half the resources of Windows 10. I have 144GB of Windows 7 virtual machines running on an ESXi server at work taking only ~60GB of physical RAM, but my 64GB Windows 10 virtual machines are taking over 50GB. This is a huge deal in organisations that use VDI infrastructure, and they have no plans whatsoever to move to Windows 10 for this reason.

15. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    #175 RanCorX2, May 2, 2018
    Last edited: May 2, 2018
    (OP)
    meh, you know what, i'm not letting some ass bag insult me and call this a waste of time.

i'm still working on it and will still share it here.

if some users want to stay up-to-date with windows but don't want all the extra stuff that ms keep adding, someone has to do something about it! The same thing can said about all the other projects, they are created because, there's users who will use them, believe it or not, not everyone started using windows at version 10. Sure it's the future, but there's still an awful lot of users out that who dislike the direction it's heading in.

using a pc with windows is about the freedom of what one can do. not going to let some faceless internet user tell me otherwise.

your on my ignore list now so i won't see anymore of your dumb ass posts. (you know who you are)

ok, might as well reply to his dumb post;

16. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    I've just read up on the subject, learn something new every day.

i downloaded windirstat which shows 22.4gb is that to be believed?

17. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Good for you! I know exactly how you feel. And @s1ave77 said it best in a post to me here:

"When promoting and maintaining any kind of tool in the 'open', you first need to get rid of a too emotional way to look at your own project. It helps to keep the needed distance :D.
    Keep an eye on the users that provide info regarding errors and participate with constructive criticism.
    Then there will ALWAYS! come those, that never read instructions before trying the wildest things, especially if something fails at first for them."

So don't let a select few bring you down. If you believe in your project, go for it!

18. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    I saw your script thread, was a good idea, windows update is far too instrusive these days. I ended up removing parts of uso but kept enough to keep wumt working, also removed as much of the other modern wu related files as i could, it's all useless to me now as i removed the settings app.
    now i have wumt in control panel + the powershell wu script.

19. ZModdder

ZModdder MDL Novice

Apr 13, 2018
    I like this project. As a previous post mentioned a project like this is great to learn from. Keep going RanCorX2, I would like to try out your finished batch files for myself. I prefer to run the latest version of Windows without all the crap too. If i can make it run as silent as possible at idle then that is a better experience for me. And making Windows 10 run more like Windows 7 is something I can get on board with. Thanks for all your time and work on this project!

20. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    It's not that I hate change, quite happy with change in various things, if it's done well. I like to think of windows 8.x an 10 as bad movie sequels, because sequels rarely top the original. windows 7 would be the original movie, 8.x would be the sequel and 10 would be The Mummy 3 (awful mess) and then all the new 10 versions are reboot after reboot, but not quite getting it right...