1. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
    I figured out how to use UUP but I still prefer the catalog. Matching hashfiles and I know how to extract files from the MSU should I need them.

2. ch100

ch100 MDL Addicted

Sep 11, 2016
    I am actually with you on this one. An obvious use case scenario is for the versions including an Enablement Pack where specific features are out of date if using a too old distribution. For clean installs it generally works if the .1 version is used and care is taken to update manually in the right order with downloaded updates, but why going through all the trouble when there are better options, at least for people who only want things to work and not get too much into reverse engineering the Windows CBS? For upgrades in place, using .1 version if there is a newer one available (at the ESD level as you mentioned) is asking for trouble.
    My question for you though is how do you use the latest esd distribution? Is it via the officially released equivalent on MVS or VLSC or by directly using the esd manipulated with one of the available scripts or using a tool like WSUS or SCCM? I am in favour of using the officially released ISO, but is there an alternative and potentially better method?

3. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    #103 AveYo, Sep 24, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    I treat it as a "pick your poison, and stick with it" kinda deal.
    - Rely on WU for unbeatable convenience? If it works, keep at it. Whenever it breaks, repair with MCT / esd to iso / or equivalent MVS iso (I have encountered several issues that did not go away with a latest in-place upgrade).
    generally have no issues with WU, it's reliable. Only on a couple machines it can be quite slow and waste lots of bandwidth and processing. Update integration helps in that case, but otherwise it's kinda wasteful to bother with.
    - UUPDUMP? Get the latest available build every other week or so and just go for a perpetual-in-place-upgrade route if needed.
    would advise against it, it's the most wasteful processing-wise, and has the largest room for error (user-dependent or not). The only choice for non-released iso dev builds tho. And a great source of .1 builds to be used next:
    - DIY / W10UI? Keep a .1 copy around as instructed and then at any point add available standalone updates that Enthousiast goes trough effort to maintain lists of. This is a greener path.
    - MVS ISO's? Keep getting a refresh every month, with sfv delta's if possible for the greenest path. The integration being made by microsoft is more appealing, tho it's not flawless.
    Now, what happens when you mix-and-match? In my experience, the chances of LCU's failing later down the path increases tenfold, so that's why you should not wait for WU

I try to stay away from update integration, only do it when absolutely required (i.e. for potatoes).
    My rationalization is rock-solid: I can do without this monthly / weekly wasteful task. Media is never gonna be up-to-date for too long in the age of WaaS.
    And if WU fails, it can very well be just a broken LCU (or a series of them - it happened). Try a manual LCU install. Then in-place with MCT-made stick reverting to a (really) old reliable build that usually fixes it. Still failing? Time for scrapping.
    There's no recipe for success. Everyone's experience varies. And troubleshooting is near impossible, thanks Microsoft!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ch100

ch100 MDL Addicted

Sep 11, 2016
    I use WSUS and sometimes WU most of the times with WUMT.
    I also have a separate lab using SCCM.
    I am not in favour of home offline integration because for those few use case scenarios using integrated image and they are mostly in business, they should use only official images.
    My question was mostly related to your idea about only using esd released versions which you have not answered in fact. All the other matters in your reply to me were discussed in your replies to other users I think.
    So when using esd releases to repair in place, i.e. upgrade-repair, what would you suggest using? The equivalent officially released ISO, UUPdump built ISO at the same version with the ESD or other method like ESD to ISO?
    I think we agree that the optimal version to perform such operation is the latest available ESD version or equivalent as reference baseline.

5. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    I personally maintain an automation script to make MCT use latest available esd for conversion, with an enhanced auto upgrade preset.
    It even got used in business environment for it's convenience vs. the pain/cost/benefit of WSUS SCCM etc - just link / copy a single script renamed as auto MediaCreationTool.bat and let the user run it to upgrade (unattended).
    But whatever other method to convert it is fine - abbodi1406's excellent ESD2ISO pack, my dism text-only alternative, or whatever simpler couple lines in notepad scripts.
    There's not much difference to using an MVS iso with the same build, but like I said, I try not to mix & match, so I stick with ESD via MCT.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ch100

ch100 MDL Addicted

Sep 11, 2016
    All good and clear now, thanks for taking the time to provide the detailed response. :)

7. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
    I tried UUPDUMP and by the end of the day I still prefer to use the catalog because I've I've downloaded the msu files I can not only install them into a running version of Windows but also integrate them into a .wim file using DISM. It's also very easy to filter to the updates you want from the ones you don't. You can install the latest base SSU (KB5005112) or the latest one from. It matters not, because the latest SSU is inside the LCU MSU file. Which goes in either way.

8. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
  9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Were you running an official Enterprise install or a homebrewed one?

The official one should not get it offered and when it gets offered the install should fail.

On the screenshot there is no EP nor any other update installed, it still is 19044.1288.

10. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
    #110 Magmarock, Oct 19, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2023
    (OP)
    It's official, I'm running it in a virtual machine. The idea is to obtain a list of updates I need so I can install them later with DISM in my own homebrew version of Windows.

The screenshot was taken before any updates were checked or installed so you know what it is.

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...h1-22h2-vb_release.80763/page-16#post-1571109

Your install didn't get the EP offered i guess or it did show an error when attempting to install (check updates history).

Please show a screenshot of the actual situation.

12. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016

Attached Files:

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #113 Enthousiast, Oct 20, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2023
    It never shows in updates history, only in remove/uninstall updates.

You don't run IoT Enterprise 2021 LTSC but normal IoT Enterprise.

14. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC, according to the sceenshot. LTSC yes, IoT no.

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Yeah i was distracted by the screenshot filename IoT EP.

But that picture doesn't show anything other then the 21H2 EP is installed, like it should be with (IoT) Enterprise 2021 LTSC - 19044.1288.

It doesn't show it was installed by WU, maybe the full screenshot would have shown more, including the install date of the EP.

Will install it in a vm to see.

16. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
  17. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
  18. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    No 19044.1. As the EPs generally require a certain minimum sub-build to apply, there is only a 19041.1 (base build).

19. Magmarock

Magmarock MDL Member

Oct 12, 2016
    For LTSC it's 19044.1288