Quick Hack: 20H2 Enablement without Edge

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sevenacids, Aug 6, 2020.

1. BogusByte

BogusByte MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2016
    Someting like this ?

if exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge" (
    For /f "tokens=* delims= " %%A in ('call dir /s /b "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge\Application" ^| find /i "\Installer\setup.exe"') do (
    call "%%A" -uninstall -system-level -verbose-logging -force-uninstall"
    del "%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Microsoft Edge.lnk"
    )
    )​

2. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    I don't know what you mean
    currently, if you skipped Edge, WU does not re-offer kb4562830
    not sure if they will release separate update for Edge on 19042

you mean add it to my batch repo? alright

3. armond

armond MDL Addicted

Jun 16, 2008
    #23 armond, Oct 5, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Yes.
    You are correct, but it seams the amd64_microsoft-windows-e..-firsttimeinstaller stuff comes back to the WinSxS folder if you check for update after a clean install of Windows 10 20H2. Edge then installs after a reboot and I see its welcome page. It's Edge 84.
    Or maybe Windows Update reinstalls KB4562830 but it's showing nothing in the update history.
    Probably more testing is needed.
    Thanks.

4. rdubyah

rdubyah MDL Novice

May 30, 2012
    #24 rdubyah, Oct 6, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021

In elevated command prompt
    Code:
    cd %PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Microsoft\Edge\Application\8*\Installer
    setup --uninstall --force-uninstall --system-level

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    From @abbodi1406:

Code:
    @echo off
    reg.exe query "HKU\S-1-5-19" 1>nul 2>nul || (echo Run the script as administrator&pause&exit)

set "u_path=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft"
    set "s_path=%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft"
    if /i %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%==x86 (if not defined PROCESSOR_ARCHITEW6432 (
      set "s_path=%ProgramFiles%\Microsoft"
      )
    )

reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Edge" /v NoRemove /f 2>nul
    reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Microsoft Edge" /v NoRemove /f 2>nul

for /D %%i in ("%u_path%\Edge SxS\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-sxs --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )
    for /D %%i in ("%u_path%\Edge Internal\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-internal --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )
    for /D %%i in ("%u_path%\Edge Dev\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-dev --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )
    for /D %%i in ("%u_path%\Edge Beta\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-beta --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )
    for /D %%i in ("%u_path%\Edge\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )
    for /D %%i in ("%u_path%\EdgeWebView\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedgewebview --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )

for /D %%i in ("%s_path%\EdgeWebView\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedgewebview --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )
    for /D %%i in ("%s_path%\Edge\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )
    for /D %%i in ("%s_path%\Edge Beta\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-beta --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )
    for /D %%i in ("%s_path%\Edge Dev\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-dev --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )
    for /D %%i in ("%s_path%\Edge Internal\Application\*") do if exist "%%i\installer\setup.exe" (
    start "" /w "%%i\installer\setup.exe" --uninstall --msedge-internal --system-level --verbose-logging --force-uninstall --delete-profile
    )

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate" /v DoNotUpdateToEdgeWithChromium /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    pause

6. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    if not installed (SkipEdge=1), EKBUpdate KB4562830 is indeed redownloaded and installed (under the hood) with the current 20H2 cumulative update

uninstalling Edge after OS installation seems the proper solution (via setupcomplete.cmd i guess)

7. PicoBot

PicoBot MDL Novice

Jul 7, 2015
    A few days ago, I discovered something new concerning upgrades and the installation of edge chromium. I had a second ( spare ) installation of Windows 10 Pro 64 on a seperate partition. This installation was rarely used and therefore was either 1909 or 2004, wherefor I did an inplace upgrade using a ( german ) 21H1 iso, which I downloaded from the german site, which I am not allowed to post here :)

And after the upgrade was completed, I found a full working 21H1 without Edge legacy, without Edge chromium and without any installers for Edge in the WinSxS folder. This installation works fine until now, and now I am curios what will happen on the second Tuesday of April. The only thing I did not tried yet is a "scan health" to check, if WIndows itself sees the component store as intact or as damaged, because of the missing chromium installers.

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Edge is now handled by LCU, so, it will most likely be installed in the process.

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Basically, you're right, now Edge Chromium is bundled with other components of Windows, and soon all links to previous browser versions (IE and Edge Legacy) will be removed, and then it's quite likely that this Microsoft recommendation will also disappear automatically. At this point, it is quite pointless to look for ways to remove this recommendation. If anything at all to do, install again Edge Chromium correctly on your computer and start using it because you can't get away going with it. In all newer Windows versions this Edge is a core component of Windows and the default browser.
    It would also be advisable to upgrade the OP system to at least 19043.xxx, if not to newer, ie 19044.xxxx (19043.xxx and 19044.xxx are basically the same, but some newer features are disabled in 19043.xxx).
    ScreenShot_20210816005645.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Legacy Microsoft Edge registration is kept for compatibility
    basically to tell and redirect other apps

even Windows 11 still have it

11. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    We need another EU Browser Ballot campign :rolleyes:

12. fosam

fosam MDL Novice

Jun 9, 2013
    Thanks!

I did a quick search and found a tool and a script that did get rid of every "possible" trace of Legacy Edge.

The downside of this is that it breaks WU for some reason, in other words you will not be able to install any new build after running this script, throwing 0x800f081F everytime.

Here is how the tool looks like:

tool.png

And the script in the cmd file:
    Code:
    @echo off
    cd /d "%~dp0"
    echo Uninstalling Microsoft Edge...
    CLS
    install_wim_tweak.exe /o /l
    install_wim_tweak.exe /o /c Microsoft-Windows-Internet-Browser-Package /r
    install_wim_tweak.exe /h /o /l
    echo Microsoft Edge should be uninstalled. Please reboot Windows 10.
    pause

13. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Absolutely right, it has been said and talked a lot of times and it is a new discovery over and over again.
    As long as Edge Legacy is a component of Windows, you can't remove or disable it. It runs in the background and does its job and let it run there as long as it have been replaced complitely with new one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. Alexa120

Alexa120 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2020
    Hello, abbodi1406 I run your script "UninstallAllEdgeChromium" as Administrator, everything is deleted, but why is there an empty window in the Start menu with the inscription Microsoft Edge. How to overcome it? You ignored the last comment on this topic, this is not ethical on your part, that is, not respect. Thank you for your understanding and help.

15. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    WU Category "EU Browser Choice Update-For Europe Only" is revived from the death few days ago :giggle:

16. StrangeWorld

StrangeWorld MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2022