Router and NAS not visible in explorer/Network in 1709

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by FAQ_, Dec 10, 2017.

1. FAQ_

FAQ_ MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks, I am connected to a Private Network.

Thanks, since the post below did the same thing I tried that first through gpedit.msc and rebooted.
    No change.

So I set it back to "not configured" and rebooted, and then tried it your way.
    DNS Client is running, automatic, and I can't change it because it's grayed-out.
    Function Discovery Resource Publication is running, set it from manual to automatic.
    SSDP Discovery is running, set it from manual to automatic.
    UPnP Device Host is stopped, set it from manual to automatic, and rebooted.
    No change.

Then I changed it again as in the post below through gpedit.msc and rebooted.
    No change.

Thanks, see above.

2. FAQ_

FAQ_ MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2016
    I manually assign an IP address to all my devices.

3. FAQ_

FAQ_ MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks again, I am connected to a Private Network.

4. Reznov

Reznov MDL Member

May 17, 2012
    What error code shows up when you try to map or access your NAS via Network?
    Is it 0x80004005 ? or something else?

5. BALTAGY

BALTAGY MDL Guide Dog

Dec 23, 2014
    You can try to use this cmd see if it help
    reg add HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters /v AllowInsecureGuestAuth /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

This will enable file sharing without need to enable SMB

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. FAQ_

FAQ_ MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2016
    I can access the router + NAS via Network > \\routername or \\nasname without any error code.
    They just don't show under "Computers" though.
    If I try to reach them in a program that uses an explorer window to navigate, I can access both of them that way.
    If I try to reach them in a program that doesn't show an explorer window, but just a tree, the path ends at Network where there are only the 4 computers, no router or NAS.

7. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    #27 MELERIX, Dec 14, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    imo you should report the issue in Feedback Hub app, and share the link here, so we can vote (if we have the same issue ofc).

8. FAQ_

FAQ_ MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks, I will consider this, but first I want everything to work as expected.
    I'm thinking about installing LTSB 2016 first, since LTSB 2015 did not have this issue.
    After that I could recreate this issue in a VM, and try to solve or report it.

9. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    For all NAS are basically SMB 2.0 so make sure all NAS is enabled SMB. then make sure all NAS should set Static IP instead DHCP, because most router are like changing IP every 24 hours. Best 2 ways is set Manually IP Static instead DHCP.. Or go to the router console and specified where your NAS IP, change to RESERVED IP this way NAS IP won't change it..

Hints and better way to do, if your router DHCP pool set 100 IP from 192.168.x.99 to 192.168.x.200 (100 IP Pool for DHCP) So, what is to do before last number 98.

Ex: 192.168.x.2 (Start point IP) to end IP 192.168.x.98 is Manually static IP. Remember Router gateway and login web is default 192.168.x.1 (x = is present what IP show on your setting)

I set NAS to 192.168.x.90 including Submask: 255.255.255.0, Gateway: 192.168.x.1 DNS Pri: same as Gateway IP.. DNS Sec: leave as blank.. this way that would be works out. Remember it.

Last thing, check firmware for NAS Storage..

Good luck

10. FAQ_

FAQ_ MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks again.
    I checked everything again.

My ISP's modem is set to reserve an IP for my router.
    In my router all devices (even tablet + phones) have an IP reservation, and everything is OK.
    Settings on my NAS are OK.
    Router and NAS have the latest firmware, and check for and install updates automatically.
    I did another set of restarts, no change.
    On the other PCs everything works as always before, still no router and NAS in Network/Computers on the NUC with the new install.

I think I will install 2016 LTSB, I want everything to work as expected.
    Later I will try to re-create the problem in a VM.
    I thank you all, I hope you will help later if needed.

11. jean_phile

jean_phile MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hi,

For this to work, the profile of the firewall must be private, in public profile, some share does not work

12. FAQ_

FAQ_ MDL Novice

Jan 26, 2016
    The profile was private, the same as now in LTSB 2016, I just finished.
    After the clean install I disabled Telemetry, checked Control Panel + Settings.
    I installed my Antivirus, and I just finished Windows Update, and rebooted.
    It's a simple Braswell Pentium, so it took some time.
    With everything set the same as this morning in Enterprise 1709, in network there are the 4 computers + the router + the NAS :clap:
    So I guess it's safe to assume that the difference was in fact Windows, since that's the only thing I changed here.
    Free :cheers: on me, for everybody who tried to help :hug2: