RS5 1809 Disable driver update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Bordo38, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Bordo38

Bordo38 MDL Novice

Apr 6, 2014
    Hello
    How to turn off driver update via regedit ?

os windows 10 1809

Thank you

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    When checking the GPO Tweaks by PrivateWin10 tool by @DavidXanatos it sets these reg entries:
    Don't Update Drivers
    Code:
    SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate = 1
    Don't get Device Info from Web
    Code:
    SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Device Metadata
    PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork = 1

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Here's the tweaks I'm using to shut off automatic driver updates, it's actually a highly annoying feature of win10 for me;

Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\temp\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Device Metadata]
    "PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\temp\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DriverSearching]
    "DontPromptForWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001
    "DontSearchWindowsUpdate"=dword:00000001
    "DriverUpdateWizardWuSearchEnabled"=dword:00000000
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\temp\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Several people reported, that none of those work since 1803 or 1809. I have not really tested it, since disabling WU also disables driver updates. Try disabling the service:
    Code:
    sc config DsmSvc start= disabled

6. redxii

redxii MDL Junior Member

Aug 7, 2016
    #6 redxii, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" is the only registry entry needed, and it does indeed work in RS5 (and current Insider, AFAIK,) Pro & Enterprise (including non-domain connected), and LTSC 2019. I haven't tested nor bother these days with Home.

The rest just disable the feature that downloads non-generic icons/descriptions in 'Devices and Printers' but doesn't install drivers even when that feature is enabled. E.g., a "Gaming mouse G502" with the default keyboard icon (yes, a keyboard) is replaced with an icon that actually represents a G502, and renamed "Logitech G502".

They used to have an option in the WU settings to disable driver updates (ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate), but they removed that in 1803 I believe it was. The registry entry is still valid.

7. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Not sure what works and what doesn't, they're always changing things, get a new surprise in every update. I know i had a hell of time getting 1809 to stop installing drivers I didn't ask for, not even sure which setting did the trick.

Problem with disabling the WU service is then DsmSvc starts throwing red errors about not being able to connect to wuauserv. Then if you disable DsmSvc (Device Setup Manager) you have trouble with things like USB drives showing up correctly. Win10 is such a bastard to deal with.

8. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    DsmSvc is trying to force install a driver, which we don't want, so this is not actually a problem. Enable wuauserv, use WUMT or WuMgr to install the driver, then turn wuauserv back off. I have tons of DsmSvc red errors but have never had a problem with a USB device. Any special devices like a USB tv tuner I install the drivers manually, and every other usb device, flash drive or external drive, I've never had a problem with. So could you be more specific on what device disabling wuauserv was/is a problem for you? This is the first time I've ever heard of not allowing forced driver updates causing a problem.

9. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    The only problem is that disabling wuauserv causes DsmSvc to throw red errors. Disabling DsmSvc stops the errors but then devices do not get recognized in devices and printers and the "safely remove" icon doesn't show up for flash sticks. I actually use the event log to keep an eye out for disk errors when using USB drives so I don't like when it's cluttered with annoyance errors. I try to resolve them when I can. Way more annoyance errors in Win10, had very few in win7.

10. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    But that doesn't harm anything but to show red errors. With my script you'll get Update Orchestrator task errors all the time but it doesn't hurt anything and it means the script is doing its job. I'm sure you know the DsmSvc red errors are just Windows freaking out because it can't force driver updates down your throat. To me, the red errors are a good thing. As long as the errors are understood, everything is okay. Errors that don't hurt anything are good errors when it comes to stopping forced updates.

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    I never understand people looking for problems, where are none, while everything is working. I have disabled event log and logging, so there are no errors in the event log. :om:

12. Krager

Krager MDL Senior Member

Jan 9, 2017
    That would be one way to deal with it, but I do like having the event log, kind of gives you an idea everything is working right. I have had things go wrong before where the event log helped. But like everything with Windows it can be bad or good.

13. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    What about Group policy > Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Internet Communication Management\Internet Communication settings\Turn off access to all Windows Update features?.
    Somebody on another forum wrote that it will also disable driver updates.