sfc.dll "contains an error"

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sublimate, Feb 7, 2017.

1. sublimate

sublimate MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2015
    Cheers, yes good to have up my sleeve. And I should have looked at the error log, there might be bad news about the state of the drive (all the user files are well backed up though). The machine had been through crashes some months ago (at the same time I gather USB connected devices were going off line, maybe more going on).

2. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    $14.95 :eek:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  5. sublimate

sublimate MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2015
    Yes could be; I am hoping this was a limited corruption from a crash, something like that, but a new drive may well be on the cards. Since sfc itself appears to be damaged, I figure I don't have a reliable sfc scan to report on the general state of the OS on disk (otherwise my first check; mmm while a check on hardware errors would have been a better first check).

If this damage is specifically something about the sfc system, interesting - and maybe logical if sfc is a hub of such functions - that all modes of in place repair seem to be blocked.

Cheers, brilliant; a safe download site I take it?

BTW, is there something like a database of hash checksums for Windows components (maybe what underpins sfc scans)?

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Click on This PC on desktop, right click on C drive, select properties, then on tools tab at top, then error checking:D

7. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    How do you mean? I thought getting a Linux Live CD would take him longer time. If he has a Linux Live CD that is a bonus.

I don't get what you mean by me being a troll lately. Perhaps you are being childish and I find you very petulant. I would not reply to any of your posts again. Bye!

8. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    If this does not find error and fix it, I would do format above, especially since we have new OS coming :D

You've been fooling with this long enough, let us know what happens:D

9. sublimate

sublimate MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2015
    Just covering my bases, I saw some possible explanations with Google searches along such lines; I get the impression registry errors can be behind almost any Windows problem ;).

Thanks; and a handy resource for checksums :).

10. sublimate

sublimate MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2015
    But can disk error checking fix a damaged file?

I was nervous an error message about sfc.dll could signal a quick fix might not be feasible, guessing this was damage to the repair system itself; indeed my time limited attempts with in place repair suggested so.
    On my next visit I will give a USB boot sfc pass and then a reset a shot, but then yes, a reformat looks like a good suggestion that could avoid further time and pain. I'll report back (will be in a week or two, I won't attempt remote hands repair by phone).

11. glennsamuel32

glennsamuel32 MDL Senior Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Mind sharing those links ?

12. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  13. sublimate

sublimate MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2015
    I didn't make a record of (or trust) the links that were in the form of promotion for registry cleaners/"repair tools", but I did find an entry at answers.microsoft.com for msvcp140.dll with error status 0xc000012f (I can't post links) with a reply from "steve":

""0xc000012f" error is commonly caused by incorrectly configured system settings or irregular entries in the Windows registry"

I didn't find such a message about sfc.dll specifically, rather - as would be expected - the messages about sfc were how it can be used to repair errors (and not how to repair itself it turned out).

14. sublimate

sublimate MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2015
    I spotted this too; filed to look more closely later to figure out if it can be trusted. Promising though.

Much appreciated; thanks.

PS All this has brought to my mind (non-urgent, to explore some time) how does sfc work (and what are the dependencies from in place system reset, DISM, etc.)? I have assumed sfc works on checksums in the dehydrated distribution libraries, but I expect there is rather more to it (and how so with such a small executable?).

15. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    On a 64bit system all the 32 bit files are present in the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder
    Just make sure it's the same fileversion you are replacing.
    Doing a checksum comparison(MD5) will tell you if the files are identical or not, meaning if it's the same fileversion but with different checksums you have a bad file.

16. sublimate

sublimate MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2015
    Cheers, I didn't realise WOW64 was everything 32 bit, assuming core system files wouldn't be there. But I see it does make sense. I'll take a look; thanks.