Simplix Pack to update Live Win7 System/ Integrate hotfixes into Win7 distribution

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Enthousiast, May 13, 2013.

1. GravesLord

GravesLord MDL Novice

Jan 17, 2022
    Thanks a lot for such a fast response. Ofcourse you know better and I would trust people here more then any random quora answer ;)

2. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    Why is a platform update "evil"? In my opinion it's important.

3. fox3

fox3 MDL Member

Dec 27, 2021
    i used UpdatePack7R2-22.1.18.exe /WimFile=D:\sources\install.wim /Index=9 /Optimize
    got the iso but cant boot
    any one knows why (should i rename the file to UpdatePack7R2)
    thanks

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    A win 7 ISO with 9 indexes:thinking:

Can you post the simplix updatepack log?

ps, install.wim is not the part on the iso that boots.

5. fox3

fox3 MDL Member

Dec 27, 2021
    #4165 fox3, Jan 26, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
    its not about your pack
    i ask bcus you using it in your pack and maybe you knows
    now that you ask about AIO it maybe the problem with booting i will check with simple iso
    Edit - now its booting but not install updates

6. Durga

Durga MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Is the Simplix Pack safe to run in this way:

(1) Put a copy of the pack in a ramdisk and run it from that location?

(2) Set the location for the pack's temp files into the ramdisk?

(Obviously, the ramdisk contents won't survive a reboot.)

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Online or offline updating?

The other day i've created an uptodate win 7 x86 ISO, using my simplix tool in 10min on my ramdisk:D

8. Durga

Durga MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2015
    I guess it would be offline updating to a live system, by which I mean that the Pack would be a full file on my system and not using the internet to get anything. The updates would be being installed to C:\ partition. Does that answer your question?

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    With offline i mean updating an ISO, online would be running the pack to update a live system.

10. Durga

Durga MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Then it would be 'online'.

To explain what I'd like to do (if possible) put the Pack exe file in a ramdisk and run it from there. But what I don't know is that on system reboot does the pack go and look for itself in the ramdisk (which it won't find as the content of the ramdisk will have vanished when the system reboots).

Likewise with the 'temp' files. If I have the pack write the temporary update files into the ramdisk then they too will vanish on a reboot? And that might cause problems for the update process.

Really, in doing this at all I'm just trying to save writes to my SSD -- reduce wear sort of thing.

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Most likely that will happen.

Don't worry that much about TBWs, i am hammering all my SSDs 24/7 with creating all kinds of windows isos and svf files and i also was afraid of the writes but it was not that bad, just 10.9TB on the pcie gen4 nvme disk i got last november and 20TBs on the sata ssd's i got a few years ago.

12. Durga

Durga MDL Junior Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Okay, thanks very much for your responses, much appreciated.

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I thought of a scenario for you, don't rename the updatepack or don't run it with the switches, iirc it then doesn't auto-reboot.

In this scenario you should be able to put the pack in a ramdrive and run it, when it's done, you manually reboot and put the pack on the ramdrive again and re-run it so it can install more updates, etcetc...

14. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #4174 Carlos Detweiller, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
    SSDs are a lot sturdier than it is believed. Reason is that the first generations of SSD had, indeed, problems with high amounts of data written. It has gotten much better now. The oldest SSD I own is a Kingston 120GB model, with moderate usage, it is still at 100% life. The lowest life we have managed getting on an SSD so far is 95%, by putting it into a 24/7 home surveillance system for a few months, which is, not the correct usage pattern for a general-purpose SSD (there are ones made especially for that purpose).
    So, no worries. The Samsung 2TB EVO models I have here are rated for a TBW of 1400TB written, or 1.4PB - unless you are in a data center you will unlikely exceed that before the next upgrade to a higher capacity. Plus, the TBW are very conservative values. Tests have shown that the drives can exceed their given TBW by a lot.
    General rule:
    - SLC (a single bit per cell) has the longest life, but is very expensive. I guess they are only used in data centers / Enterprise use.
    - MLC (two bits per cell) is used in professional SSD for consumers. Still expensive, but very long life.
    - TLC (three bits per cell) alias 3D NAND is the normal, general purpose SSD. They are costlier as mechanical HDDs, but outlast them even with higher usage.
    - QLC (four bits per cell) is a cheap option for budget usage. They have lower TBW but are a good option for moderate usage, still.
    - PLC (five bits per cell) are still in development.

As for SiMPLiX, my experiences from working with it are that it only unpacks the updates it also installs in that very same boot cycle. At the next cycle, it unpacks the next updates etc. However, the pack itself and the WAs should be on permanent storage, as, even without autoreboot, the pack still schedules itself to be rerun after the manual reboot, and from there, it's automatic.
    Of course, a definite answer would mean contacting SiMPLiX or trying it out.

15. nonlin01

nonlin01 MDL Junior Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Many of the 500GB Crucial and other SSD's costing £40 are rated 40GB write/day for 5 years!

16. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Wear leveling and other algorithms have gotten much better since the Sandforce days.

17. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Rhothgar

Rhothgar MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2022
    Have tried to install updates using UpdatePack7R2-22.1.18.exe /silent /reboot in administrator CMD but it only installs 6 KB packs, loops and install same again and dotNET4.8 WA file?

What am I doing wrong? Windows 7 Ultimate SP1.

I've turned off WU and set to never check. Tried many things today including restoring back to 2016 restore point with SP1 and still it just won't do it.

Is there a registry element I should delete to try and get your pack to install properly? I did get to the point where it started cleanup at one point and cancelled out as I was unclear what was happening.

The installation log of UpdatePack 7 / 2008 R2 / 22.1.18
    Installation start time - 22:35:31 31.01.2022
    Operating system - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

KB2533552 - Installation of the update has been successfully completed
    KB2592687 - Installation of the update has been successfully completed
    KB2670838 - Installation of the update has been successfully completed
    KB2830477 - Installation of the update has been successfully completed
    KB4490628 - Installation of the update has been successfully completed
    KB5006749 - Installation of the update has been successfully completed

Installation finish time - 22:37:28 31.01.2022
    The number of installed updates - 6
    Total installation time of UpdatePack - 01:57
    Operation of the program has been successfully finished

Have tried running it in C:\, C:\Windows and C:\Windows\System32 to no avail.

19. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    Maybe the other updates are already installed?

20. Rhothgar

Rhothgar MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2022
    No I don't think they are.

KB4474419 is not installed and because of this I cannot install Macrium Reflect to image the disk. If I do wmic qfe list in cmd, it is blank and WU GUI is blank too apart from dotNET 4.6