Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I only use Sledgehammer on all of my machines because "I eat my own dog food" so I don't have a recommendation on other projects. All I can say is, if you're using Sledgehammer, or any other update control project, don't use any part of another project to control updates because it's not necessary and could cause problems. I do know that if you turn off all update options with ShutUp10, Sledgehammer will override some of its update settings when it runs because it has to to work. Also, it's not necessary to disable driver updates with another project (although it won't hurt anything if you do) because you can control them with Sledgehammer, which will show you the driver updates and you can hide or install them. I find it useful to have that option.
    Decrapifier, PeerBlock, O&O ShutUp10, and PrivateWin10 will not interfere with Sledgehammer, nor will Sledgehammer interfere with them.

2. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes, dogfooding is very common among developers. A developer who doesn't use his own stuff usually does not have faith in it. :rolleyes:

3. stderr

stderr MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2019
    How about Windows Update SledgeHammer (WUSH)? Sounds better?

4. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    UYMS, FYMS, FMS :biggrin5:

5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    It's hard to come up with a good name for a project like this. I could call it:
    Windows 10 Update Controllerater
    Windows 10 Forced Update Hulk Smash
    Windows 10 Update Giant Meteor 2020
    Windows 10 Update Control - The Matrix Edition
    Windows 10 Update Master of Reality - The Black Sabbath Edition
    Windows 10 - "Never Update Again If You Don't Want To" Project
    The Project that Controls Windows Updates
    Windows 10 Forced Update Control - The Thing That Should Not Be - The Metallica Edition
    The Disable All The Forced Update Parts of Windows 10 and Have Full Control Over It All Again Like Windows 7 Was Project (DATFUPOW10AHFCOIAALW7W)

6. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    #1326 rayleigh_otter, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
    SLEDGEHAMMER - THE ULTIMATE Windows Update Controller - :)
    or
    SLEDGEHAMMER - THE ULTIMATE Windows 10 Update Controller

7. stderr

stderr MDL Novice

Jan 24, 2019
    No doubt. Thought it would be more semantic + catchy when abbreviated.

Cheers~

8. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    MS Bulls**t Deflector (MSBD)?

9. vuze4u

vuze4u MDL Member

Apr 24, 2010
    WUTerminator (WUT)

10. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    #1330 rayleigh_otter, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    BoBY-MS,
    GYAB-WGID

Clue, they are all rude :biggrin:

LSHYLIFAC, lets see how you like it for a change :biggrin5:

TBOTOFFAC

Im done with this silliness now :D

11. app_raiser

app_raiser MDL Junior Member

Mar 18, 2018
    i like bull*hit-deflector (MSBD) the most :)

i noticed a little change in some powershell scripts ~2 weeks ago. for example:

Get-AppxPackage | Where ...

turned into

Get-AppxPackage | Where-Object ...

that totally wrecks the scripts. i spent some hours to find that difference and re-edited that part so the scripts are working again. maybe that change is introduced with powershell 6.x which has to be installed separatelly.

i expect that "problem" to be intended by ms because.. why would someone do that?!

mentioning this because - there is ONE LINE using "where" in sledgehammer script and i don't want to see it wrecked by ms!

greetings!

12. xXJOKRXx

xXJOKRXx MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2015
    What about "SledgeHammer Update Tool" -> "SHUT" ?

13. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    "SledgeHammer Update Tool with Ultra Power" -> "SHUT UP" :oops:

14. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Just a reminder: if you update to 1903 from an earlier version the update service will be turned back on because it replaces the current installation and puts the old one in the windows.old folder, so after installation just run the script to the first screen and then exit and all will be well again.
    This is always good practice when upgrading versions.
    You can either install 1903 from the iso, or by running the script and installing it that way if windows update even offers 1903 to you which it may not yet.
    For full control I recommend 1) installing from iso with the internet disconnected, then 2) running the script at least to the first screen, then 3) reconnect the internet.
    It really doesn't matter how you upgrade though at least for now because there are no new updates for 1903 yet as far as I know.
    The whole disconnecting, installing, reconnecting thing is just so no unwanted drivers are forced on you, other than the unavoidable ones 1903 will install for you even without an internet connection, like Microsoft based ones such as sata and sound card drivers if you never installed the manufacturer's drivers, things like that.

15. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    You just described my way of upgrading. I can lock internet access for each machine in the router, Windows Setup never sees any online resources.

16. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    And I mentioned that only driver updates would be forced on you if you don't have a plan, well that's only accurate right now. If somebody upgrades windows to a newer version a few months from now without blocking internet access, the floodgates will open and all kinds of stuff will start downloading and installing. I know you know that, I just thought I'd mention it for anyone keeping up with this thread.

17. spanishfly

spanishfly MDL Senior Member

Dec 5, 2018
    #1337 spanishfly, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    WU Termination Finally (WTF)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. spanishfly

Dec 5, 2018
    #1338 spanishfly, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    I hesitate to share this, but if you think about it it's quite 'catchy'
    Updates come once a month.
    What time is it? It's FUNTIME!
    Full Update Negation and Termination Including Microsoft Evasion (FUNTIME)
    Alternatively you could replace 'Full' with 'Complete'

[Edit]
    You can keep Sledgehammer
    Sledgehammer - Full Update Negation

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    :laie:

20. spanishfly

Dec 5, 2018
    #1340 spanishfly, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    Your quick! I only had that line there for a few minutes before reconsidering it.
    {Edit]
    I thought of a great re-branding trick.
    French Connection United Kingdom successfully used "FCUK" as a catchy brand logo.

Sledgehammer Complete Update Termination and Negation gives you an 'edgy' but acceptable:
    Sledgehammer CUTN
    Pronounced "Sledgehammer Cutting" or more like the American South "Sledgehammer Cut'n"
    Which is maybe not as good as "Sledgehammer FUN"
    I really like "Sledgehammer" I'm not so keen on "Sledgehammer WU"
    The "WU" maybe helps at first, but once people know what "Sledgehammer" is and does the "WU" just seems meh.