Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Hal2000

Hal2000 MDL Junior Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Please stop feeding the TROLL.

2. freevista

freevista MDL Member

Jan 14, 2009
    FYI: kb4565483 (2020-07) updated WaaSMedicAgent.exe, WaaSMedicCapsule.dll, WaaSMedicPS.dll and WaaSMedicSvc.dll.

3. awuctl

awuctl MDL Member

Jun 6, 2020
    Honestly, I feel like you are the trolls. I'm only asking you to give your arguments for using this tool (over its >officially supported< alternatives) and you're either pretending you don't hear that or actually have no arguments.
    I got a good and insightful explanation on the project's history from @pf100 on Discord and I plan on testing some things myself (mainly for any permanent damage and if it actually works as good as it is advertised compared to Microsoft's tool, expect an update someday :p ).
    The only thing I argued about is that I don't need your anti-Microsoft propaganda or "all updates are bad" bulls**t when you have absolutely nothing to back it up.

If I'm to be labeled a troll for trying to be reasonable then so be it. That's your opinion that I (as mentioned before) don't really care about :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Hal2000

Apr 26, 2014
    Pf100 I Just want to thank you for the amazing work you continue to do on Sledgehammer. All my family use it including my 11 and 7 year old grandchildren on their laptops, in all 8 Operating Systems. I cannot thank you enough for helping us all to control what and when we update. Hope you are keeping well during these strange times. Best wishes Hal

5. wallofasgard

wallofasgard MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2015
    #1605 wallofasgard, Aug 7, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Works fine in my system for years.Ive been updating only my Office 2016 and 2019 not Windows 10 these past months unless the changelog is necessary for my task and not for someoneelse's.I also used a different tool before but an unwanted update was performed so i decided to use this instead.Dont want these untested Windows update to brick my currently working well PCs.Also,good thing about the WUMT in your tool is that i can select updates that i want instead of default way when MS shoving down everything on the list automatically.Thank you very much.

Edit : Not meaning to offend anyone but i personally think that this app did well for me compare to what those highly paid experts of M$ done to Windows Update (from UI to Deployment).

6. jinbill

jinbill MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2018
    #1606 jinbill, Aug 8, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    hi! I noticed the script makes Windows Security unmanageable, if I click on the Windows Security shield/icon in the task bar it doesn't open the program even if I disable/uninstall the script.

Can some kind person share a link if this problem has already been explained?
    or
    Is there any solution to be able to open and manage Windows Security with updates disabled?

7. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I haven't had a problem nor have I had any reports of a problem with the script interfering in any way with windows security system so with the information you gave me I can't help you. Let us know what you find.

8. zinoswink

zinoswink MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2018
    Using Windows 10 x64 v2004 build 19041.388 with latest Sledgehammer script I have zero issues with Windows Security opening or functioning.
    Same Sledgehammer script worked the same for me on all previous Windows 10 versions & builds.

9. grumple

grumple MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2020
    Long time lurker, created an account just to post this. Thank you very much @pf100 for making this tool - this is exactly what I needed. I recently purchased a new laptop for gaming when I travel and due to hardware support I'm forced to run Win10, this will go a long way to restoring sanity in controlling the rate and cadence at which updates and features are applied.

Just one question, apologies I couldn't find it in the README or threads here: I chose the installation method (win10 home 1909), if I want to upgrade to a new version of Sledgehammer later what's the recommended way? Should I just install it while leaving the previous version in place?

Thank you!

10. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I've always recommended uninstalling before installing a newer version to elimininate any possible issues, but the last few releases since v2.6.0 operate basically exactly the same with some fixes, so you can just install a newer version on top of older version starting with v2.6.0. If you do that you'll have an older version text file (current file is named "version 2.7.2") in the Sledgehammer start menu folder so just delete the older version shortcut. Even if you leave both version shortcuts it won't hurt anything. I'll do something about that in the next release.

So tl;dr, yes it's okay to install a newer version over an older version until further notice.

11. grumple

grumple MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2020
    Thanks for the confirmation, glad to know both approaches will work. I started with Sledgehammer 2.7.2 but will uninstall/install as that's recommended.

12. Jerro30

Jerro30 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2020
    Hi im new here. Just installed sledgehammer 2.7.2 disabled windows update, but still have that "update and restart" And "update and shut downn" in start button. What can i do now?

13. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #1613 pf100, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    (OP)
    You have a pending update you have to either install or clear.
    Since you don't want to install the update, what I use in that case is @GodHand's Reset-WindowsUpdate script.
    It's the second script in the first post that starts with "Function Reset-WindowsUpdate".
    Disconnect from the internet, uninstall Sledgehammer, open PowerShell ISE as administrator, copy the contents of the .ps1 into the script pane, hit F5 then type "Reset-WindowsUpdate" and wait until it's finished, then reboot.
    After reboot, run Sledgehammer to first screen, then you can reconnect to the internet and the pending update should be gone.
    Edit: Added that Powershell ISE should be run as administrator.

14. Jerro30

Jerro30 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2020
  15. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #1615 pf100, Aug 19, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    (OP)
    At some point recently, automatic driver updates began installing during an update check on a new install with Sledgehammer even though they are offered by WuMgr or WUMT and you immediately hide the updates.
    So driver updates completely bypass Sledgehammer, but only while checking for updates in a new install with missing drivers.
    I never specifically blocked driver updates, but until recently I didn't have to.
    The script is designed to control updates, but not driver updates specifically.
    The only way I know to block driver updates with the script, unless someone knows a better way, is to completely disable windows driver updates through windows update, or at least while checking for updates with the script.
    Doing that would start to cross a line I drew in the sand about not touching things not related to updates, even though a driver update is a windows update.
    I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Edit: added that driver updates on a new install is what bypasses the script.
    Tested clean install while disconnected from internet, then running sledgehammer, then connecting to internet and checking for updates with sledgehammer. Only happens after clean install with missing or older drivers.

16. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    I've had Sledgehammer installed for some time now and its functioning perfectly. Windows 10, 1909, MS forced updates are being stopped and Defender updates continue to be installed. Perfect solution, thank you!

As for driver updates, if I need them (not sure how I would know) I'll go the manufacturer's web site and download them. Wondering if the driver updates that MS is pushing out have anything to do with things being broken when a CU is pushed out, thus requiring a drive update to fix what the CU broke.

If there is a way to add blocking driver updates to Sledgehammer without you taking on a six month development project (I have no idea of what would be involved) I'd vote for adding the driver update blocking feature.

17. Hal2000

Apr 26, 2014
    Just hide them if they appear when checking for updates.

18. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I don't think that driver updates are necessarily causing problems with buggy windows updates.
    It wouldn't be hard to temporarily block driver updates. I'm about 95% sure this can be done with one registry key edit. Whatever it is, it would have to work immediately and work as a toggle without a reboot to work.

Do a clean install of 1809+ (not tested on earlier versions) while disconnected from the net. Run sledgehammer to first screen and close it so updates are off. Connect to internet, run sledgehammer, hide driver updates and watch them install anyway. But after drivers are installed, you can hide drivers again and the script works as intended, or at least what I've found in early testing.

19. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I've used SlimDrivers Free to check for whether hardware vendors have updated drivers available. Use it to install or not. Just be aware that SlimDrivers will stay resident in memory until you explicitly close it - I always close.

If I'm not mistaken, both WUMT and WuMgr have an option checkmark for whether to update drivers. Apparently, Windows 10 will bypass that selection on new installs, if I understand @pf100 correctly. It seems to me that MS's approach to getting a hardware platform up and running with a first install should normally be a good thing. If any drivers are then determined to be problematic, can't the user just replace those with the hardware vendors' drivers at the time the problem is realized? After all, new installs are not the usual going concern update.

20. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Good point. Maybe it's best to just let it install initial drivers.