Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    #1661 Carlos Detweiller, Sep 18, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    B releases are the ones you get on the normal Patch Tuesday - the "B" means "second week of the month". Patches released in other weeks are non-security related. That's why the catalog used by Offline mode in WuMgr does not contain them.

"Preview" is only a moniker, it doesn't reflect the quality of the patch. MS' patch quality is, quite consistently, below average (and the answer to the Jeopardy question "Why DO you need proper QA?").

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    ?

3. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    The wsusscn2.cab does not contain the Previews, unless that changed very recently. In fact, that catalog restricts itself to anything security-related. That's why wsusscn2.cab is updated once a month, Patch Tuesday or very soon after.

I didn't refer to the Windows catalog site.

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    That's what i read in it, now it's clear to me :)

5. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Carlos, running the Sledgehammer script produces a WuMgr window where the "Download and update manually" selection box is grayed out (as almost every other option) and not select-able. Going into the Sledgehammer bin folder where WuMgr is located and double clicking it brings up a window saying "Windows update is not running, do you want to try starting it", or words to that effect. So I'm wondering just how to get to the "Download and update manually" option.

6. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    #1666 Whistler4, Sep 19, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    What version of Sledgehammer are you using? Starting with about 2.6.1, you should have three choices for running WuMgr. On the third screen (after it says "starting Configurator"), option 3 is to run WuMgr in offline mode. Option 4 is expert mode with no greyed-out buttons

(The Sledgehammer script turns Windows Update on when you run WuMgr or WUMT and off afterwards, protecting you from unwanted updates. You'll lose that protection if you run WuMgr without Sledgehammer.)

Screenshot_20200918-220351_Microsoft Remote Desktop.jpg

7. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    READ Grasshopper, READ!!!

Whistler4, thanks. I believe the latest version is 2.7.2 and that's what I'm using. It's been so long that I've really had to think about it that I just key right through the screens. "N" to the AskWoddy Defcon status, "Enter" at the next screen and then a "1" for WuMgr. Bam, bam, bam and WuMgr is running.

8. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Don't run it on its own, or it will revive the Windows Update Service (the one we want to keep in its grave until it is time for a walk).
    WuMgr in Auto mode starts in "provisional mode" and runs automatically. Using "4" to start it in Expert Mode will make everything available. All decisions are yours in that mode, including the stupid ones. :)

9. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Carlos, with a link on Windows 10 Forums I was able to get this MS explanation of their release schedule:

"In March, we announced that we would pause optional non-security update releases (also referred to as "C" and "D" releases) for all supported versions of Windows client and Windows Server to give organizations time to focus on business continuity in the face of the global pandemic. Based on feedback and the ongoing stabilization of business continuity, we will resume optional releases in July of 2020 for Windows 10 and Windows Server, version 1809 and later, to once again provide you with the ability to test planned non-security fixes targeted for the next month’s Update Tuesday (or "B") release. We are also instituting a few changes to simplify the update process and help you continue to stay current with Windows 10 and Windows Server. First, in response to feedback, these validated, production-quality optional releases will be now called "Preview" releases for clarity, and will be offered only for Windows 10 and Windows Server, version 1809 and later."

While most folks here probably understood the above pretty clearly, it really helps those of us who aren't into these things that deeply. In any event, what it means to me is that I will stay away from all "B'" releases for at least a couple of weeks after release (checking the Ask Woody site) and totally ignore anything else. I'm on 1909, the laptop is running perfectly, why mess things up.

10. flyboynm

flyboynm MDL Novice

May 1, 2011
    What is the most current version of this tool? I want to try it but am on pain meds right now and cannot see where to download the most recent version.

11. buzzuz

buzzuz MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2011
    Does this script block only Win10 Feature Updates or does it block security updates within the same version as well?

Is there a way to (automatically) revert the changes made by the script?
    E.g. a *.reg script which contains the Registry entries before changes of the WUMT script?

12. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    The script blocks all updates. Then whenever you run the script, it let's you execute WuMgr or WUMT, both of which are included. Those tools search for and present the individual updates (security, cumulative, and feature updates) that are applicable to your Windows 10 status and allow you to download, download and install, or hide the ones you select.

A separate script undoes everything the primary Sledgehammer script changes. If you use the Windows installer, the uninstaller script will be in the start menu. Or you can run the Sledgehammer script and the uninstaller script from the folder you download it to.

20201006_105110.jpg

13. buzzuz

buzzuz MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2011
    Thank you. But I need some more clarification:

Both WuMgr and WUMT need a running Windows Update Service.
    Correct?

When I doubleclick on WuMgr.exe in Sledgehammers \"bin" sub directory I am asked if I want to start this Windows Update service.

When I click on WUMT_x64.exe in the same dir only an error popup appears: "The system cannot find the file specified".
    Is the reason the same: No running Update service?

Sorry for the next question: If I double click on WuMgr in "bin" subdir and agree to start the Update service what happens next?
    I can imagine that Windows Update start automatically and immediately checking for missing Updates (and possibly installs them).
    Thats exactly what I want to avoid.

Can I start the Update Service (only for WuMgr) but prevent install of updates?
    I only want to show currently installed and check for possible new updates.

Thank you

14. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    This is not how it works, you are NOT supposed to start WuMgr or WUMT manually. Enabling the WU service that way is for good, and the wrath of the Microsoft hell will come upon you.

You are supposed to run the script, and have the script start one of the tools for you. It will care for temporarily enabling and disabling the service (when closing the update tool).

15. Funky Bottoms

Funky Bottoms MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2020
    New here, I have a number of W10 installs and one, on a little Wintel Pro box, has never been able to update from 1809 correctly (despite 2 other identicals updating fine). Unfortunately for me this particular problem box is running my SMTP and FTP servers (not MS based services). It's secured and behind a hardware FW, but MS would jam a _@$#&# update up it's arse whenever they felt like it, it would fail, I'd waste the entire next day restoring, repeat ad infinitum.

I want to thank @pf100 for this incredible solution I just bumbled upon, it is amazing and appears to have stopped this system from updates for good! BRILLIANT solution!

Also clearly this is not a one man job so thanks to all the rest of you helping to advance this project, reading back a dozen pages or so the passion and knowledge is obvious. Im using 2.7.2 and have only run Sledgehammer to where WU is disabled, and "clicked X" to close the window. I installed ServiceTray/scheduled the task as suggested in the readme, and it's just so damned fantastic to not worry about this lightweight but critical system going rogue again.

Thanks again for removing the thorn in my side, I'm so grateful and can't believe I didn't find this long ago, but I have it now!! I'm sure I'll want to explore the script options but for now, updates stopped and I couldn't be happier!!

16. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
  17. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Thanks, is there anything short-term we can do until release? Disabling usosvc?

18. zylor

zylor MDL Junior Member

Feb 25, 2012
    One day until release. Just wait

19. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010