Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    #1721 Whistler4, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    FAQ C6 (How can I be sure that the Windows Update Service is still disabled after running the script?) describes that the Windows Update Service is disabled after the script is run. One of the effects is that Windows Update in Settings no longer works while the script is doing its job. You'll also notice that "View update history" doesn't show anything. This behavior is normal and should probably be noted in the FAQ. If you run Sledgehammer again and select "E" to enable Windows Update Service for the store, then look at the Windows Update screen in Settings (and especially the View update history screen) you should see what you're commenting about that was missing. Be sure to select "[D]isable" before you leave Sledgehammer, or you won't be protected against automatic updates.

Also, if you aren't using Sledgehammer, be aware that when you are in the Windows Update screen of Settings, the "Check for updates" button doesn't just show you what's available, it goes ahead and install everything it finds.

The text "*Some settings are managed by your organization" can be the result of other blocking programs, too, like O&O Shutup 10. If that's the case, you might want to run any such programs and set them back to Windows default to get rid of forgotten group policy or registry settings (some of which are set by those programs without telling you exactly what they did). It's not that Shutup 10 is incompatible with Sledgehammer, it's just that it throws another factor into the mix when trying to understand what you're seeing.

2. eager1

eager1 MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    Whistler4,
    Thank you very much for you detailed explanation.

3. Jerro30

Jerro30 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2020
    Hi guys. So today abusive update notif poped up again after few months of peace probably because i uninstalled sledgehammer from this pc like a month ago (handing it on) and forgot to install it back after pc still leaving with me. So i used the "Function Reset-WindowsUpdate" script but its not working and pending updates still in power button. Please help

4. Jerro30

Jerro30 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2020
    Is sledgehammer still working?

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
  6. Jerro30

Jerro30 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2020
    im kinda lost. Just realized i had it installed all along. In that time windows still managed to update to new version+something(Update for microsoft Windows kb4559309 that cant be uninstalled) and 2 security updates that can be uninstalled. I always return to previous version but it pushes this new one every day. Notlikethis

7. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Having it installed doesn't suffice. It must be run at least once for being able to work its magic (locking WU and update facilitators, creating tasks etc.).

8. Jerro30

Jerro30 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2020
    I opened it after install, seemed to do its own thing disabling wu automaticlly (dont really remember it was few months ago i installed it) it says wu update disabled on the screen

9. Funky Bottoms

Funky Bottoms MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2020
    #1730 Funky Bottoms, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    Open task scheduler. Is there a task called Sledgehammer? In the root of C: is there a hidden folder called "Windows10Upgrade"? Open Computer Manager/Services. Is Windows Update disabled (not off, auto, but disabled)? These would confirm that Sledgehammer is installed and has been run to enable it's magic.

Are you running any of the Windows 10 versions/builds mentioned on the last few pages which may be affected by the potential sneaky update method discussed??

No expert here, but maybe confirm some things so those here that are experts can assist with details, not much to work with at this point. I'm running 2.7.2 and the beta patch and have no issues on Win 10 Pro 1809 and it's working perfectly. I followed the readme to the letter and unzipped it to a dir, did not do an install but chose to run the bat file instead per the readme. I ran the first stage which disables WU, and went no further.

May be worthwhile to check the above, reboot the machine and see if it's still all in place (if, indeed, it's in place at this time) . After that, aside from running Sledgehammer again to ensure its all working properly (someone can confirm if this is proper or if it needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled, but seems like it'd be fine to run Sledgehammer again), not sure where to go from there, but I'm sure folks here know.

10. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Windows Update shouldn't be pushing anything if it's disabled. (Although there are some recent revelations on this thread that Microsoft might be employing other techniques to update Windows.) Anyway, you can run Sledgehammer any time to check it's status or "reactivate" the disabling effects.

You're right that you should have been able to run it and forget it, but if you're getting updates, run it again. Also, if you go to the folder that Sledgehammer is installed in or saved to and run wub.exe, that program will show you whether Windows Update is indeed enabled or disabled.

11. Funky Bottoms

Funky Bottoms MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2020
    Wait....are you now saying none of this happened? Troubleshooting this is impossible unless you're being absolutely straight about whether or not Sledgehammer was uninstalled/modified/etc.

I'd suggest sorting out how to remove those updates (google) from pending, reinstall Sledgehammer, reboot, confirm, and leave it alone.

12. Jerro30

Jerro30 MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2020
    -Open task scheduler. there a task called Sledgehammer? No

-In the root of C: is there a hidden folder called "Windows10Upgrade"? No (when looking on google how to disable restart and update from power button i deleted some folders)

-Open Computer Manager/Services. Is Windows Update disabled (not off, auto, but disabled)? Description: <Failed to Read Description. Error Code:2> ,Status: Blank , Startup type: Disabled

-Are you running any of the Windows 10 versions/builds mentioned on the last few pages which may be affected by the potential sneaky update method discussed?? Windows 10 home version: 1809, OS build: 17763.1282

-run wub.exe, that program will show you whether Windows Update is indeed enabled or disabled.
    SMH: ://youtu.be/BEJKcRrRIGE

-Wait....are you now saying none of this happened? Troubleshooting this is impossible unless you're being absolutely straight about whether or not Sledgehammer was uninstalled/modified/etc. All of that happened except uninstalling sledgehammer

13. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    You looked up the wrong program: It's not "wup", it's "wub.exe", for Windows Update Blocker. If you installed Sledgehammer, it's in the folder Program Files\Sledgehammer\bin. If you run Sledgehammer manually from the folder you unzipped it to, wub.exe is in the folder Portable\Sledgehammer\bin. You've already executed wub.exe whenever you ran Sledgehammer, so you tested it on your computer and it wasn't harmful.

Read paragraph C6 of the FAQ section in the _read me.txt file that comes with Sledgehammer.

14. Funky Bottoms

Funky Bottoms MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2020
    If you have no Sledgehammer task and no hidden folder called Windows10Upgrade, then Sledgehammer isn't installed correctly.

Reinstall it, run it through the first screen to disable WU.

15. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    Based on reading the questions/replys Jerro30 may not know just where the Sledgehammer task is located . . .

Attached Files:

16. maka213

maka213 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    Just upgraded to 1909 and my firewall caught usocoreworker.exe trying to connect to the internet. Should i be worried? It didn't happen the entire time i was on 1809. I blocked it with my firewall for the time being.

17. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Get the fix from here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...-10-update-control.72203/page-84#post-1626456

wub.exe and wub.ini must go into the bin subdirectory of the script location, overwriting the old wub.exe.

You can also get 2.7.3 RC from this post (optional):

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...-10-update-control.72203/page-85#post-1626994

and replace the entire contents of sledgehammer.cmd with the new version.

After doing the changes, run Sledgehammer at least one time, to put the new blockers into effect.

18. david carvalho

david carvalho MDL Novice

Nov 26, 2020
    My friend how can i uninstall, just run Uninstaller_undo-all-script-changes.cmd?
    if i just update 2.7.2 from 2.6.0 just need to install and it will overwrite?

19. Carlos Detweiller

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes, easy as pie. Warning, Windows Update will start butt-stuffing your OS with updates, right away, unless you disable the network adaptor, temporarily. Some leftover remnants will have to be deleted manually.

You can simply overwrite. Note that it will leave a leftover version text file and Start menu entry, these can be deleted manually.