Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Homer712

Homer712 MDL Member

Oct 22, 2018
    LockFiles Task.png @Whistler4 Thank you for the very easy to follow post above.

In an attempt to get back on the same page with everyone else:
    1. Completely uninstalled Sledgehammer rc1a which I was running.
    2. Followed step #1 above and instructions in post #1697 to install rc1.
    3. Followed step #3 above and changed lines 403-404 of Sledgehammer.cmd.

Everything running perfectly. Only remaining issue (believe this was brought up in the past) is the "Last Run Result" (0x1) for the "LockFiles" task (the Defender task is missing because I "rem" that out).

2. thiih_

thiih_ MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2008
    I use a simple powershell script to run Windows Update / Microsoft Store without running all sledgehammer script everytime I want to check updates.. place it in sledgehammer folder and run it through vbs script.
    I have two scripts (one for WU and another for Store) and they "talk" to each other, when one closes it checks if the other one is running and don't stop wuauserv service, otherwise, wuauserv is stopped.

#Requires -RunAsAdministrator
    $CurrentDir = Split-Path $PSCommandPath -Parent
    $WUB = "$CurrentDir\bin\wub.exe"
    $wumgr = "$CurrentDir\bin\wumgr.exe"

# Starts Windows Update Service and Open WUMGR
    Start-Process -FilePath $wub -ArgumentList "/e" -WAIT
    Start-Process -FilePath $wumgr -ArgumentList "-update -online 7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d -provisioned"
    sleep 5

# Loop for verify if process are still running
    while (Get-Process -Name *wumgr*)
    {
    if ((Get-Service -Name wuauserv).Status -ne 'Running')
    {
    Start-Process -FilePath $wub -ArgumentList "/e" -WAIT
    }
    Sleep 5
    }

if (Get-Process -Name *Winstore*)
    {
    EXIT
    }
    Start-Process -FilePath $wub -ArgumentList "/d /p" -WAIT
    EXIT

for the defender definition update "issue", maybe a simple change in wdu.cmd double checking updates would solve this (the updates, not events or update failure/abort info), like:

instead of:
    Code:
    "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate
    wub.exe /d /p
    exit /b %errorlevel%

change it to something like:

Code:
    timeout /t 5
    wub.exe /d /p
    exit /b %errorlevel%

3. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    @pf100
    In my opinion there is some redundancy whith LockFiles.cmd and code in sledgemammer.cmd; redundancy means problem when updating. I suggest a minor change for LockFiles.cmd :
    Code:
    ::Allow only LockFiles task to run this file::
    whoami /user /nh | find /i "S-1-5-18" || exit
    cd /d "%~dp0"
    wmic cpu get AddressWidth /value|find "32">nul&&set PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=X86||set PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64
    if %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%==AMD64 (
     set "nsudovar=NSudoCx64.exe"
    ) else (
     set "nsudovar=NSudoc.exe"
    )
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    ::Set list (s32list) of update hijacker files to be disabled, then disable everything in the list.
    set s32list=EOSNotify.exe WaaSMedic.exe WaasMedicSvc.dll WaaSMedicPS.dll WaaSAssessment.dll UsoClient.exe
    set s32list=%s32list% SIHClient.exe MusNotificationUx.exe MusNotification.exe osrss.dll
    set s32=%systemroot%\System32
    ::If "s32list" files were previously renamed by script, restore original file names
    for %%# in (%s32list%) do (
    ren "%s32%\%%#"-backup "%%#"
    if exist "%s32%\%%#" del "%s32%\%%#"-backup /f /q
    )
    ::Lock files
    takeown /f "%s32%\%%#" /a
    icacls "%s32%\%%#" /reset
    if exist "%s32%\%%#" %nsudovar% -ShowWindowMode:Hide -Wait -U:T -P:E "%systemroot%\System32\icacls.exe" "%s32%\%%#" /inheritance:r /remove *S-1-5-32-544 *S-1-5-11 *S-1-5-32-545 *S-1-5-18 >nul 2>&1
    )
    ::If files in "s32list" aren't locked for whatever reason, rename them.
    ren "%s32%\%%#" "%%#"-backup
    if exist "%s32%\%%#"-backup del "%s32%\%%#" /f /q
    )
    exit /b 0
    The change consists in defining the nsudovar variable and executing iacls.exe with trustedintaller priviledge when needed.
    And the corresponding code in sledgehammer.cmd is replaced by :
    start "LockFiles" /wait ".\bin\LockFiles.cmd"

4. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Is AskWoody Defcon system still used? because there was a recent design change yesterday or so

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    In 2.7.2 - Yes.
    2.7.3 RC1 does not use it.

A design change would therefore break 2.7.2.

6. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I agree that it doesn't need to be shown automatically. I can understand that it would be nice if Sledgehammer did it all. But the Sledgehammer interface already has a variety of menu selections, most that are highly useful. Adding another menu number for MS-DEFCON might add unnecessary complexity. And I'm not sure anyone wants an added screen to display in the sequence.

Personally, I visit AskWoody toward the end of the month to check the MS-DEFCON level and patch advice, and that's what triggers my use of Sledgehammer anyway.

7. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    False problem : @pf100 removed the programmatic interface to get the MS-DEFCON rating by replacing it by a browser call (cf line 250 of the script) as explained in the first post :
    "Changed option to view current MS-DEFCON rating in script to opening MS-DEFCON rating in browser instead."

8. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Right. Both the internal MS-DEFCON display and the subsequent browser call replacement worked for me. I think the question raised was whether the automatic display of MS-DEFCON was significant value added and should be continued or not.

9. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Personally, I don't need it, and actually hate programs or installers force-opening URLs without my consent.

10. dkn849

dkn849 MDL Novice

May 31, 2021
    Does the Microsoft Update Health Service (uhssvc.exe) need to be disabled, and does the script do that? If so then how?

11. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    #1814 Whistler4, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    Just checked, and Microsoft Update Health Service is running (Automatic Delayed Start Startup Type) in my 20H2 Windows version with Sledgehammer active and effective. So, no, I don't think it needs to be disabled.

Edit: Correction - I answered too soon. It shouldn't be running or installed. See post below.

12. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    uhssvc = KB4023057

it should not be installed in the first place

13. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Duh, yeah! Thanks! I've been blocking/hiding that update forever. I must have forgotten and let it slip through.

14. Whistler4

Whistler4 MDL Member

Jul 30, 2015
  15. dkn849

dkn849 MDL Novice

May 31, 2021
    #1818 dkn849, Jun 2, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
    Does the script disable the files that Microsoft Update Health Tools (MUHT) uses, and hence can we just rely on the script to handle it or should we uninstall MUHT? Are there any plans for the script to lock the files in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Update Health Tools", or make and lock the folder to prevent MUHT from installing in the first place, like what's done with Update Assistant?
    @pf100

16. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I gave up on that. I'm not going to spend a whole day fixing it every time something changes when people can just go to askwoody and check for themselves.
    I'll have more info on this later.

17. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Hi everybody!
    So, I've been having serious problems with a paradoxical drug reaction. Exactly the same thing that happened to Jordan Peterson.
    A well-meaning doctor tried to help me and the drug he gave me (clonazepam) basically gave me a frontal lobotomy while I got off of it.
    I'll be fine.
    Obviously I haven't been here in a while and haven't kept up with things.
    The plan is update the script first, then study the latest version windows 10 update hijackers for anything new.
    Stay frosty.