Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. maka213

maka213 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    Perhaps stop using a pre-release OS and expecting it to act like a stable OS? That's usually the best alternative.

2. BT 1

BT 1 MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2017
    Well, that is the only message i get. There pop ups a frame saying; Checking for updates failed: internal error.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, still the same. Even on W11

3. zinoswink

zinoswink MDL Novice

Mar 29, 2018
    I've seen that error message, but extremely rarely on both Windows 10 & 11.
    I don't believe it's an issue with Sledgehammer, but with the network you're using at the time.
    I restart Sledgehammer a second time (possibly after a reboot), and it then completes normally.

4. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #1864 pf100, Sep 14, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    (OP)
    I had that problem before and after pulling my hair out for days it turned out to be bad ram.
    Edit: I had it happen after a clean install but then rebooted and everything was fine.

5. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    @BT 1 Something is going on but it doesn't seem to be a serious issue because updates are successful for me after I try again after a reboot. I can't tell if it's Windows 11 itself or if it's an issue with WuMgr/WUMT or a combination of all of the above. I'm just going to wait for a while after windows 11 is released to the public and see how it goes because it's still basically beta right now. I'm about 99.9% sure it's not the script itself.

6. Hal2000

Hal2000 MDL Junior Member

Apr 26, 2014
    #1866 Hal2000, Sep 15, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Have had the same problem with Win 7 Pro using WUB v1.6 and WUMT. Obviously not using Sledgehammer but may help with diagnosis.This also works OK after reboot

7. BT 1

BT 1 MDL Junior Member

Feb 16, 2017
    I get it wihen running WuMgr in Sledge and when running WuMgr separately. After reading the posts above, maybe it is a compatibility issue with W.update. Restarting the pc all the time is ridiculous, something is flawed and then i do not want it. I am using another soft instead which can pause updates, but not for MD, for a looong time and using WUSH to choose updates.

Ms software; Windows updates show and hide, WUSH, does not by the way have that problem.

8. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Today in Windows 11 I installed CU KB5005635 with the script with WuMgr and had no problems. (@BT 1 I only had a failed update and reboot to fix it the first time after a clean install and I haven't had to do it since then with 2 more update sessions.)
    Either that was a fluke, or the problem is driver update installation after a clean install which is the only time I know that updates bypass WuMgr which could cause a conflict which is my wild guess as to what's going on here.
    But that's just a guess. If a later update fails after all the drivers are updated then that guess is probably wrong.
    I'll contact some devs and see if I can get to the bottom of this.
    In the meantime just keep reporting any issues and I'm pretty sure it'll get figured out eventually.
    Thanks for everybody's input.

9. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I recently was pm'd a question and I thought it was appropriate to post it and the answer here:

Q: Windows 11 is coming out soon. I want to ask you have you updated sledgehammer so it blocks windows updates for windows 11? Will the new version block updates for both windows 10 and windows 11?
    A: As far as I can tell there is no difference in the update subsystem between 10 and 11. So far the script works great with 11. If anything changes the script will be updated.

10. thiih_

thiih_ MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't know what is happening, but this week 3 different computers from 3 diffrerent costumers were updated even with Sledgehammer installed. Tasks are OK, files are OK, services are stopped (only runs when Defender is updated)

And just now, I was doing maintenance in one of my servers and I saw the message "Update and Restart" on shutdown menu then for my surprise, my system was updated. (first update since May).

Image attached

Attached Files:

11. thiih_

thiih_ MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2008

Attached Files:

12. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #1873 pf100, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    (OP)
    This is the first time I've run into this situation because I've never tried translating logs, but I'm having serious problems translating these logs because they're too big for free options.
    One log is 400 pages and the other is 1200 pages.
    I tried figuring it out without translation, but I'm not having much luck.
    I converted them to pdf to try to get more options with free services for pdf conversion, and I managed to translate them to english but it's very hard to read.
    Anybody got any ideas?

13. thiih_

thiih_ MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2008
  14. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    @thiih_ What version of the script are you using, 2.7.2?

15. thiih_

thiih_ MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2008
  16. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    What version of wub are you using? What other changes did you make? I need all changes that you made and when you made them. Instead of giving me a small bit of new information occasionally, you need to tell me everything now.
    Did you modify wub.ini or any other files?

17. thiih_

thiih_ MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2008
    #1878 thiih_, Oct 22, 2021
    I didn't change anything except updating WUB to 1.1 and blocking wuauserv/usosvc services...
    my "wub.ini"
    [Service_List]
    ; 2=Auto
    ; 3=Manual
    ; 4=Disabled
    ; dosvc=2,4
    ; bits=2,4
    wuauserv=2,4
    usosvc=2,4

and change WDU.bat to check the updates TWICE:
    ::Enable Windows Update service and update Defender, then disable Update Service::
    wub.exe /e
    timeout /t 10
    "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate
    timeout /t 10
    "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MpCmdRun.exe" -SignatureUpdate

wub.exe /d /p
    exit /b %errorlevel%

And I have these changes running since... always, and it works! I follow this thread almost every week to see if something changes on the script or the windows update method. I'm a programmer, following the roots of my dad (Cobol, Visual Basic, Visual Studio, Flutter and mainly Delphi), so I'm very familiar with scripts vbs/cmd/bat files and how these stuff works, in fact I love writing scripts, everthing that I can automated I have a script to it

So I know that everything is as it should be with your script and the changes I made.
    But as I said, its not a big deal for me, I just got curious why it did updated. It has been always working, I was holding up the last update because of the Print Bug, but it got updated.

18. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Don't get me wrong, I encourage people to modify and/or fork the script, and I'm not trying to give you a hard time about it.
    It concerns me that you doubled (or more) the amount of time that wuauserv is enabled for Defender updates.
    It's safer to prevent unwanted forced updates by updating defender through MMPC with wuauserv disabled, but doing so makes the defender updates much larger in size which can have a huge impact for people with limited or expensive bandwidth. By enabling wuauserv just long enough to update defender the way I have done it with the WDU task and the accompanying "Sledgehammer\bin\WDU.cmd" file, it addresses this concern. The problem is if you leave wuauserv on too long, forced updates can occur, and I suspect that what you have done here might be why it happened, but I don't know that for sure because I don't know what length of time leaving it on will allow a forced update to happen. I have meticulously gone over every aspect of this script to ensure its proper operation, but never took into account defender updates twice in a row every time a defender update is scheduled. For example, if you run the signature update command twice can it cause a condition where the second instance can be in a prolonged wait state because the first command is still doing something even though it shouldn't be? I don't know because I never tested that scenario.
    What problem were you having that made you run the command twice?

19. thiih_

thiih_ MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2008
    #1880 thiih_, Oct 22, 2021