[Solved] Bios recovery help needed.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by frog_tech, Sep 14, 2017.

1. frog_tech

frog_tech MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2012
    Hello I have a Toshiba Satellite C660D-16F PSC1YE that the update of the bios from ver. 1.4 to 1.6 went wrong! To be honest the whole procedure completed succesfully but after the laptop rebooted, ended with a black screen. The caps and num lock leds works normally and also seems to work the ctrl alt del for restart. I can succesfully enter to recovery mode with the Fn + B keys combination but no luck in recovery. I think is something wrong with the 1.6 version of the bios but no luck of finding the 1.4 again.

I also checked if the afuwingui utility that did the update kept some bios backup, but no luck. The only way I get close to revovery is by using a 1GB usb flash formated in FAT32 with the two files I have extracted from 1.6 bios (bios.rom 2048KB, ec.rom 128KB) in its root and entering the laptop in recovery mode by leaving the battery removed and pressing the Fn +B keys combination before plug in the charger and press the power button. All this procedure leave all laptops's lights off and the cpu fan spinning at full speed, then I get two long readings from the usb flash as indicating by its led (about 23 seconds totally) and when the reading ends just stays in this state, no lights, fan spinning at full speed, no matter how long I'll leave it.

I noticed that afuwingui utility after succesfully programmed the main bios blocks did the same procedure for the EC also.

Any ideas how can I recover from that or at least someone with a compatible 1.4 bios version?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
    I have the same message posted here https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/bios-recovery-procedures.870/page-73 also, in case some moderator wants to remove it. I thought it was the right thread to ask for help, but no one answered.

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  3. frog_tech

frog_tech MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2012
    LatinMcG thank you so much for your answer.

I will definitely do what you have said. I have to program one chip or it happens to be another one? And in the mean time waiting for the ch341a programmer to arrive, do you have any idea what bios recovery procedure to follow? From the key combination you suggest, do you think it could be an Insyde bios?

Considering the flash utility (afuwingui) I can only guess is an AMI bios but none of the AMI’s recovery mode key combinations does anything.

4. frog_tech

frog_tech MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2012
    Ok LatinMcG,

I've got the point, don't bother my self trying to recover software way! :D

Thanks for everything! I'll come back with news after the programming process.

5. frog_tech

frog_tech MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2012
    SUCCESS!

Everything went fine! I reprogrammed the bios chip with the programmer that LatinMcG suggested and my laptop is alive again. Just for the record the bin files from the link above didn’t work for my laptop’s model although I thank so much LatinMcG that did the search for me and for all the guidance!

The file that worked for me was that I’ve extracted from the original bios file that bricked my laptop the first time. I’ve used the one that is in the UMA folder.

Obviously was a bad flash procedure after all!

6. epctech

epctech MDL Novice

May 4, 2015
    Hi frog_tech, I have the very same issue - can you tell me the chip number/ID for this board?

Regards
    pctech.gould

7. frog_tech

frog_tech MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2012
    Hello epctech,

I wish I could! It's been years that I don't have this laptop anymore.

So sorry I can't help you with this.

Regards,
    frog_tech

8. mtwei

mtwei MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #8 mtwei, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
    deleted