[Solved] How do I install Microsoft Edge on Server 2016?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Mlke9876, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Mlke9876

Mlke9876 MDL Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hello, I have Windows Server 2016 on my PC. I'm trying to install Microsoft Edge on it. I know that's not supposed to work, but I already have Windows Store added on it. I found that on another site. Now, I'm trying to get Edge. It's not in the Store. I tried entering:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}
    to install Edge like I was reinstalling it from Windows 10. The command didn't give any errors but never said "Completed" like it's supposed to. I rebooted but it didn't install Edge. It's not listed in C:/users/.../AppData/Local/Packages
    It's supposed to show up there. Does anyone know how I can install Edge? Does anyone know where I can download
    Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Or any other way of installing Edge on Server 2016? Next I'm trying to install Outlook and maybe Cortana. Please reply. Thanks

2. Mlke9876

Mlke9876 MDL Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi, that Toolkit looks cool. I tried it but it doesn't have Edge as an option in Integrate. It doesn't have as many options as it does in the video. I did get Edge on using dism and Edge in the folder, but it opens and then closes. Store opens and closes too (it was fine before.) I tried changing permissions for Edge but it still doesn't stay open. Do you know how to fix that? Do you know why MSMG doesn't have all the options like it does in the video? Thanks again

3. Mlke9876

Mlke9876 MDL Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi, I made some progress. I converted install.swm and install2.swm into a install.wim. Then I opened up the toolkit and it gave 2 options of Windows Server 2016 Standard and Datacenter. I'm on Datacenter and it used to only show Standard in the toolkit. Then Edge showed up along with other things. I installed Edge and rebooted but it it didn't work. Edge closes right after opening. Does anyone know how I can get it to work? I'll watch the video from the link above and try again.

4. Mlke9876

Mlke9876 MDL Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi, I just watched the full video. I have to create an ISO and then it will work. I'll report back.

5. Mlke9876

Mlke9876 MDL Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi, I'm back. I used the Toolkit and I now have Edge and the Windows Store. Super happy. I tried adding some other things but it made the ISO too big to fit on my 16GB USB. So I added just Edge and Store and it worked. That's what I wanted anyway. Thanks again

6. kibkalo

kibkalo MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Anyone was able to run Edge browser as RemoteApp?
    It does work on WS2016 via full RDP session, but seems not to run as RemoteApp.
    Any ideas?

7. XMatthew0707X

XMatthew0707X MDL Novice

May 1, 2019
    How make Windows store and edge in Server 2019. i dont know how to make ?

8. Cosh

Cosh MDL Novice

May 20, 2019
    i want to learn how ... me too

9. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Microsoft Edge is not a provisioned application package like Metro (Store) Apps and cannot be installed with commands for those types of packages.

You will need the Microsoft Edge base package and its associated language package cabinet (cab) files. Then you can just install them using either DISM command-line or PowerShell's Add-WindowsPackage cmdlet.

This is how my PowerShell script integrates it offline to give you an idea:

Code:
    If ($MicrosoftEdge.IsPresent -and (Test-Path -Path $EdgeAppPath -Filter Microsoft-Windows-Internet-Browser-Package*.cab) -and $null -eq (Get-WindowsPackage -Path $MountFolder | Where-Object PackageName -Like *Internet-Browser*))
    {
        Try
        {
            $Host.UI.RawUI.WindowTitle = "Integrating the Microsoft Edge Browser Application Packages."
            Out-Log -Info "Integrating the Microsoft Edge Browser Application Packages."
            $EdgeBasePackage = @{
                Path             = $MountFolder
                PackagePath      = "$EdgeAppPath\Microsoft-Windows-Internet-Browser-Package~$($WimInfo.Architecture)~~10.0.$($WimInfo.Build).1.cab"
                IgnoreCheck      = $true
                ScratchDirectory = $ScratchFolder
                LogPath          = $DISMLog
                ErrorAction      = 'Stop'
            }
            [void](Add-WindowsPackage @EdgeBasePackage)
            $EdgeLanguagePackage = @{
                Path             = $MountFolder
                PackagePath      = "$EdgeAppPath\Microsoft-Windows-Internet-Browser-Package~$($WimInfo.Architecture)~$($WimInfo.Language)~10.0.$($WimInfo.Build).1.cab"
                IgnoreCheck      = $true
                ScratchDirectory = $ScratchFolder
                LogPath          = $DISMLog
                ErrorAction      = 'Stop'
            }
            [void](Add-WindowsPackage @EdgeLanguagePackage)
            Get-OfflineHives -Process Load
            New-Container -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKLM_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer"
            New-Container -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main"
            New-Container -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKLM_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main"
            New-Container -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\TabPreloader"
            New-Container -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKLM_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\TabPreloader"
            Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKLM_SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer" -Name "DisableEdgeDesktopShortcutCreation" -Value 1 -Type DWord -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
            Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main" -Name "AllowPrelaunch" -Value 0 -Type DWord -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
            Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKLM_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main" -Name "AllowPrelaunch" -Value 0 -Type DWord -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
            Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKCU\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\TabPreloader" -Name "PreventTabPreloading" -Value 1 -Type DWord -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
            Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKLM_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\TabPreloader" -Name "PreventTabPreloading" -Value 1 -Type DWord -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
            Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKLM_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\Main" -Name "DoNotTrack" -Value 1 -Type DWord -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
            If ($RemovedSystemApps -contains 'Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI')
            {
                New-Container -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKLM_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\PhishingFilter"
                Set-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\WIM_HKLM_SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\MicrosoftEdge\PhishingFilter" -Name "EnabledV9" -Value 0 -Type DWord -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
            }
            Get-OfflineHives -Process Unload
            Get-WindowsPackage -Path $MountFolder | Where-Object PackageName -Like *Internet-Browser* | Select-Object -ExpandProperty PackageName | Out-File -FilePath $WorkFolder\IntegratedPackages.txt -Append -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue
            $EdgeIntegrated = $true
        }
        Catch
        {
            Out-Log -Error "Failed to Integrate the Microsoft Edge Browser Application Packages." -ErrorRecord $Error[0]
            Exit-Script
        }
    }

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...