Still Receiving Driver Downloads

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Davy49, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi,
    I don't know if anyone else is having this same issue or not, but at least for me it's REALLY getting on my last nerve. I'm talking about being offered driver's for my computer that are not needed or wanted. I've already went into the system area in control panel and chosen 'no' that I wanted driver's to be included when downloading updates. I also went into the group policy area and 'enabled' the following :
    Enable this policy to not include drivers with Windows quality updates.

If you disable or do not configure this policy, Windows Update will include updates that have a Driver classification.
    It's located in Local Computer Policy, Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, Windows Update. With that enabled I receive a notice that * Some Settings Are Managed By Your Organization in yellow. I feel as though microsoft has a problem with driver's being downloaded..by the way, here's the windows version I'm running: Windows 10 Pro. 64-bit, Version 1903, Build 18990.1 , does anyone have any suggestions ?
    Thanks,
    David

2. Micro

Micro MDL Member

Apr 26, 2009
    This works for me -

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001

And yes, I realize it is the same as what Group Policy does, but that setting in my Group Policy still shows "Not Configured" even with this registry entry.
    Since you have the "Some Settings Are Managed By Your Organization" warning, it seems as though you have made other changes also.
    Might want to look into which forced change is causing the warning and find another way an that sounds like it might be the cause of GP not working.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    In my experience, group policy editor doesn't check the registry for the specific values that are at the heart of the controls. Rather it adds additional registry keys to let group policy editor know what setting has been applied by the user or administrator. It's very dumb if you ask me.

4. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi,
    Thanks so much for your replies..Micro, I'll try your suggestion and see what happens.
    David

Update: I just checked that registry key, it's already set like that, I guess I'll have a wait & see attitude now.

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Some people reported this entry in other locations as the previous one was not working for them.
    Code:
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PolicyManager\current\device\Update" /v "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\PolicyManager\default\device\Update" /v "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings" /v "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
    reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate" /v "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f

6. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    TairikuOkami,
    I'll try those edit's..
    Thanks,

7. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    are u sure MS isnt offering the latest drivers for your system? remember drivers are send by the vendors to MS u mite be running older drivers...i dont have that issue getting the same driver over and over again.

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @MS_User
    Unfortunately, I have to admit that I have the same situation as yours. I don't get any new or old drivers from Microsoft, if I don't want them.
    Have never had any problems, maybe they'll come now....
    Anyway, I'm on guard! And ready to won.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I use the script in my signature and nothing installs unless I allow it.

10. Ace2

Ace2 MDL Expert

Oct 10, 2014
    I use Wub.exe to disable Windows Update, to stop auto updates.

I use Wub.exe to enable Windows Update, then i always run wushowhide.diagcab, first, to block some drivers, then i run Windows Update, to install updates.;)

11. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I don't know where I got this particular key but I've been using it since win10 came out. It works for all drivers except the initial search for graphics card drivers.
    Leaving my internet disabled until I set the key and installed graphics card drivers works fine for me. I never get any driver downloads unless I'm somehow using generic MS drivers and they've included updated versions in the cumulative updates. My audio settings get reset sometimes and I have to go and re-check the normalize audio option in advanced settings.
    Code:
    REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching" /v "SearchOrderConfig" /D 0 /T

12. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi murphy78,
    I'm thinking about adding the key you provided into my registry hive, I truly enjoy being a member of this forum, there's such a wealth of knowledge and information available in here.
    Thanks,
    David

13. adric

adric MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2009
    I have a note in my reg file that the above only works if the reg entry below is also set. Not sure if that is no longer true or where I got the info.
    Code:
    ; Above only works in conjunction with setting below
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Device Metadata]
    "PreventDeviceMetadataFromNetwork"=dword:00000000

14. Davy49

Davy49 MDL Junior Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Hi All,
    I think at least for now I'm going to leave everything alone.
    David

15. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    i think this setting was not for device drivers but device icons in the devices control panel.

16. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    It is for the device software (icons, features), but sometimes that software also contains a driver, like a touchpad software, because it would not work without a corresponding driver. In my case, that setting alone downloaded Logitech Setpoint.