[TOOL] XP2ESD - Create modern Windows XP installer v1.6.2

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by George King, Jan 8, 2021.

1. fourbrainandy

fourbrainandy MDL Novice

May 30, 2022
    Hello, I've been keeping tabs on this thread for a few months now for updates. Would it be possible to create an XP x86 ISO that can be installed on a partition of a GPT disk and boot using UEFI with XP2ESD 1.6.3, or should I wait for version 2.0.0 to release for such support?

2. Pavlnik

Pavlnik MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2022
    There is a ready-made ISO under the video. I need a program to build ISO myself.

3. markokk888

markokk888 MDL Senior Member

Aug 13, 2012
    #2263 markokk888, Dec 27, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2022
    well you should head back to the first page and do it yourself like it's meant to be done. no one will give u a program that will do it for u with a few clicks. read it and do it yourself, everything you need is right here. don't be lazy. it will still may not work at all on modern hardware.

Also i was skeptical about sdi driver packs and about the dev of sdi but looks like its a not bad solution. it's strange to see that most of the free solutions are from shady russian devs xD. Well at least there is no bloatware like on drp.su

4. UsefulAGKHelper

UsefulAGKHelper MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2021
    Oscdimg is used to make ISO files, even XP2ESD uses it (inside apps folder).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Chuterix

Chuterix MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2022
    i think he meant get v1.5.6 to create the iso

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. gooface

gooface MDL Junior Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Why does he want 1.5.6? I'd rather use 1.6.3 (hopefully releases soon)

7. Pavlnik

Pavlnik MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2022
    I want v1.5.6 because I want to make an ISO without POWIS launcher. This is so that the ISO would look like the original (without a third-party launcher).

8. GD 2W10

GD 2W10 MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2020
    just use 1.5.6 PE with 1.6.2 install.wim/esd

9. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Thats simple. Use latest tool and remove mshta WinPE packages before you start

10. UsefulAGKHelper

Aug 28, 2021
    Well, George can give him the link for v1.5.6 if he requests it in private.

11. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009

12. gooface

gooface MDL Junior Member

Aug 29, 2013
    #2272 gooface, Dec 30, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    Hi,

I got a bit of a problem, when I install this on my PC (XP SP3 x86 with both update packs) the setup creates a recovery partition on the wrong drive (not drive 0) and because of that it fails to boot after it copies over the system files and I get stuck on a BOOTMGR is missing error, if I go in and delete that recovery partition manually (which is randomly created on drive 5) and reboot after that it works, but I shouldnt be having to do that correct?

13. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    @Enthousiast - You are still unknowingly violate the forum rules, please remove the quoted link completely from your post.

14. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No link, no iso name, nothing violating anything in there.

15. UsefulAGKHelper

Aug 28, 2021
    @George King Since the year 2023 began, I wonder if XP2ESD 1.6.3 will be released as a milestone soon.

16. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    I think Carlos caught you earlier but apparently the link became gone

17. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Nope, directly after the "MDL" string in the first quote, there is still a link. It's on the dot or a space, but it's there.

link_remains.png

18. Chuterix

Apr 18, 2022
    I see.

19. juniel_katarn

juniel_katarn MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2023
    Hi @George King.

I just discovered this project but started running into some issues when running the VM in VirtualBox (i.e. Blue Screen of Death).
    I worked around this by creating/running the virtual machine using Hyper-V.

This could be convenient as a default for Windows 10 Pro or later users because it reduces the number of dependencies and, in my experience, runs the Windows XP VMs much faster than VirtualBox.

These are the commands I used to instead of VirtualBox:

Code:
    REM Remove virtual drive if exists
    pwsh.exe -Command "if (Test-Path %VirtualMachinePath%\%MachineName%_DISK.%HDDType%) { Remove-Item %VirtualMachinePath%\%MachineName%_DISK.%HDDType% }"

REM Create virtual machine and drive
    pwsh.exe -Command "New-VHD -Path %VirtualMachinePath%\%MachineName%_DISK.%HDDType% -SizeBytes 10gb -Dynamic"
    pwsh.exe -Command "New-VM -Name %MachineName% -VHDPath %VirtualMachinePath%\%MachineName%_DISK.%HDDType% -MemoryStartupBytes 1GB -BootDevice CD -Generation 1"
    pwsh.exe -Command "Set-VM -Name %MachineName% -CheckpointType Disabled"
    pwsh.exe -Command "Set-VMDvdDrive -VMName %MachineName% -Path %ISO%"

pwsh.exe -Command "Start-VM -Name %MachineName%"
    REM Await the VM until it shuts down
    pwsh.exe -Command "while ((Get-VM -Name %MachineName%).State -ne [Microsoft.HyperV.PowerShell.VMState]::Off) { Start-Sleep -s 5 }"

REM Remove the VM
    pwsh.exe -Command "Remove-VM -Name %MachineName% -Force"

Maybe this could be added to a future version, to make things simpler and faster for those who already use Hyper-V in their machines?
    (Note, I use modern PowerShell "Core", but the commands will work the same with powershell.exe).

20. ruslanshchur

ruslanshchur MDL Senior Member

Sep 13, 2020
    @George King Do you plan to add support for Windows Embedded POSReady 2009, Windows Embedded Standard 2009, Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (there is SP3, but you need to install manually), Windows Embedded for Point of Service (also there is SP3, but you need to install manually)?