UEFI Boot Option Unlocking.

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by stealthybox, Sep 9, 2012.

1. stealthybox

stealthybox MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    Hey, stealthybox here.

I was having trouble with my Dell Inspiron 15R N5110 the other day.
    I recently backed up and formatted the harddrive because I was interested in getting a GPT/EFI boot setup on it,
    but I hit a wall with my BIOS options and was informed by some Dell reps that the option to boot via any EFI interface has been disabled on this BIOS.

I see here that there are SLIC 2.1 modded versions of the N5110 A10 BIOS on here already, and I've found a few threads on here regarding enabling the hidden options of AMI Aptio Platform BIOS's, so I'm hoping that there's some hope in this community.

I'm really posting here for information, and am aware that this is neither the proper format nor forum for a BIOS request.
    If some of you folks could please post some guidance as to the steps I should take/tools I can download, perhaps even explain processes, that would be fantastic and greatly appreciated. I'm well versed in a small list of OOP languages and a small amount of knowledge in ASM, so code doesn't necessarily frighten me. If this is something I will be able to do myself with the lack of experience I have, I would be so audacious as to take the leap, but I won't reject any handouts.

If posting a request is my best bet, I can definitely do that, although I would need some help in determining what files I exactly am required to post.

To reiterate the info I know:

Goal: 'BIOS' /w UEFI Boot Support and SLIC 2.1+

Model: Dell Inspiron 15R
    BIOS: AMI Aptio
    Version: A10

Original request for SLIC by Tommy76:
    ( /threads/7178-Dell-Phoenix-Manual-Mod-Thread/page355?p=584336#post584336 )

Premodded A10 BIOS with SLIC
    ( /threads/7178-Dell-Phoenix-Manual-Mod-Thread/page357?p=584555#post584555 )

Thanks for reading.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. stealthybox

stealthybox MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    #2 stealthybox, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Alright,

So I've managed to obtain AMIBCP and MMTool 4.5, and I've, additionally, extracted the rom file from the Dell Flash exe, but when I attempt to open the rom file in AMIBCP, I get an error message:

Code:
    "Some BIOS strings exceeds the maximum length of (0x400). Setup tab and BIOS strings tab will not be shown."
    typos and everything.

Is this version of AMIBCP not compatible with my BIOS?
    What am I doing wrong?

3. stealthybox

stealthybox MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    #3 stealthybox, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    I tried opening the ROM with AMIBCP "8" and got the error:

Code:
    "No ROM header found."

4. stealthybox

stealthybox MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    Still no help here? o_O

5. stealthybox

stealthybox MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    Bump,

Anybody please.
    Nobody has information on these error codes?

6. stealthybox

stealthybox MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    Nobody?

Somebody must know something.

7. stealthybox

stealthybox MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    Bumping out of hope.
    Could really use more than 4 Primary Partitions.

8. stealthybox

stealthybox MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2012
    I suppose it's worth another bump:

Would an RW Report help?

9. akuma6099

akuma6099 MDL Novice

Mar 20, 2012
    The latest version is A11. This has SLIC 2.1 already. You can extract your ROM from the EXE using AMIUCP 1.04.
    AMIUCP-N5110.png

Then you can run the ROM file through Phoenixtool 2.11 and it will extract all the modules into a DUMP folder. You can also run the ROM through AMIBCP 4.53 but there is an error stating that "Some strings are longer than 0x400, disabling setup tab and strings tab". The setup tab is what you are interested in...

At this point it is just a matter of finding and tweaking the correct module. Repack modules, insert back into EXE and flash. Or you could use AFUWIN to flash the ROM maybe?. I would label this as high risk. May have to do a recovery if something is off but hey, thats how you test:)

10. mark2s

mark2s MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2017
    I know this i a very old post but i need the N5110 bios with slic 2.1 included to flash to my laptop.
    If someone can please let me know.
    Thanks.

11. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009