UefiSeven: Easily boot Windows 7 on UEFI class 3 devices

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by manatails, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Hannspree

Hannspree MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2016
    Can someone please help out with AMD Ryzens or graphics cards not booting into Windows 7 even with methods like disabling VGA and replacing 7 EFI files with 10's, installing a AMD driver, using Flashboot Pro, and using uefiseven? It's really frustrating how Intel systems with Intel or Nvidia graphics cards work with all the above but AMD systems with AMD or Nvidia graphics cards don't work at all. Please help.

2. FriendlyPP

FriendlyPP MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2020
    What exactly happens when you try to boot it?

3. Hannspree

Hannspree MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2016
    Well, on my HP Envy x360 AMD Ryzen laptop, when I turn CSM disabled without any software or modifications when installing, it gets stuck at the Starting Windows screen, except the logo still animates and stays there animating forever instead of freezing or showing error 0xc000000d. It installs perfectly with CSM enabled, but after I install Windows 7, install the video drivers, and turn off CSM, it still gets stuck at the Starting Windows screen but the logo doesn't freeze entirely and still animates, but this time while the logo is animating and still stuck at the screen, the Windows 7 startup sound plays and I can shut it down by pressing ALT-F4, but nothing changes about the screen. Even when I disable VGA and replace the 7 EFI files with 10's, it still gets stuck and only plays the logon sound. Even when I try to use UEFIseven with CSM disabled, it still gets stuck at the Starting Windows screen during installation, but the logo doesn't freeze and still animates. When I try to use Flashboot Pro, it installs the first half of the installation, but gets stuck at the Starting Windows screen with the logo animating. I've never seen this happen before with any of my Intel computers.

4. !Absolute Zero!

!Absolute Zero! MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2020
    Update:

I finally managed to create a functioning Win7 installation image (Microsoft's NVMe hotfixes and the Z390 USB 3.0/3.1 drivers correctly integrated) and installed Win7 on my NVMe-SSD. The installation itself went without isssues, but after restarting (after the installation was complete), I couldn't launch the EFI Shell (as the final step of renaming "bootmgfw.efi" and copying UefiSeven's "bootx64.efi" to EFI\Microsoft\Boot) on my ASUS motherboard (Maximus XI Hero) because my BIOS tells me "Secure Boot is enabled. Please disable Secure Boot first or insert a valid EFI certificate into the USB drive" - despite Secure Boot already being disabled in the first place! (I deleted the default SB platform keys and since then, the Boot\Secure Boot section of my BIOS displays SB status as: "Disabled", "Unloaded", "Other OS")

Updating BIOS version from 1502 to 1602 and a Clear CMOS reset still didn't solve this problem - my BIOS still keeps telling me that SB is enabled and refuses to launch EFI Shell!

Note:
    before installing Win7 on the NVMe-SSD, I cleared it and converted it to a GPT drive using DiskPart ("clean", "convert GPT") and more importantly, Win10 was/is installed on the HDD (not NVMe-SSD) and it's bootloader is also on the HDD - so W10 is my first OS and W7 came second!

Looking forward to a walkthrough...

AZ

5. FriendlyPP

FriendlyPP MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2020
    Maybe you will have better luck if you try to do file operations from some custom Winfows LiveCD images?

6. !Absolute Zero!

!Absolute Zero! MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2020
    You mean WinPE? (3.1 and upwards) That crossed my mind as well - however, what I was thinking about was more like using an existing Win10 installation (like i have now) to patch/copy the necessary file(s) to the target OS (Win7) and/or bootloader.

Would that also be possible?

AZ

7. FriendlyPP

FriendlyPP MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2020
    If you have access to their partitions from there then why not?

8. Shaneee

Shaneee MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2013
    What's the correct path for this? Is it C:/Windows/Boot/EFI ?
    I tried it an it wouldn't boot with CSM disabled in the BIOS.

9. CubanB

CubanB MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2020
    I feel like such a noob, can someone explain what UEFI Class 3 devices are? Is this an Intel laptop thing? Due to them dropping legacy support in 2020?

What I am wondering.. is can I use this method for a Ryzen AM4 desktop system? To install Windows 7 in UEFI mode, and then a dual boot with Windows 10?

Is there are recommended way to install Windows 7 on a X570 or B550 system?

10. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Class 3 (or Generation 3) UEFI firmware is one that does not have any CSM (Compatibility Support Module) anymore. As such, it does not support booting Windows 7 out of the box (Windows 7 is not fully UEFI compatible).

That's where it started, but it's more like a generic thing. UEFI evolves and leaves old OS behind.

Of course. Disabling CMS on a class 2 UEFI essentially makes it behaving like a class 3 one. Same method. Before installing, make sure you have drivers for Windows 7 (depends on board manufacturer). Also note that you probably need to create a new Win7 ISO/USB with integrated USB3 drivers.

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...-aio-iso-with-install-wim-esd-creation.79421/

11. Shaneee

Shaneee MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2013
    Managed to get this sort of working... Now it stays on the boot animation but I can hear the startup sound.

12. ExtremelyFancyUsername

Oct 17, 2018
    Still no news on the modded acpi.sys?

13. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. CubanB

CubanB MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2020
    Thanks for your thorough explanation.

15. CubanB

CubanB MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2020
    Can someone link to a resource or explain the acpi.sys thing, in terms of what the problem is and what systems are affected?

Is it that the OS performs a BIOS check to see if the system is ACPI specification is compliant and lately certain AGESA versions have been triggering the error code that they are not? Or is it something else? Is this with Threadripper, or is it also X570 and B550? Will it happen to also to X470 once their BIOS gets updated to have Zen 3 support?

16. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    #216 George King, Dec 7, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. FriendlyPP

FriendlyPP MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2020
    I had tested it now and no, it hasn't worked for me. But thanks for the idea.

18. FriendlyPP

FriendlyPP MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2020
    #220 FriendlyPP, Dec 11, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2020