Using BitLocker on a partitioned drive

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by windows.seven, Feb 14, 2019.

1. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
  2. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    this is incorrect. remove hard drive, attach to another device, no password needed. only applies to it when installed in the device with the password set. this is device and bios specific.

3. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
  4. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
  5. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
  7. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    hard to argue when you're clearly wrong, not just according to me but Microsoft as well, so, yeah, you're not going to argue because you lost many posts ago previously.

8. ch4os

ch4os MDL Junior Member

Jan 9, 2010
  9. GodHand

GodHand MDL Addicted

Jul 15, 2016
    Exactly - it's hard to argue when "you're clearly wrong." And you're clearly wrong...very, very wrong. And your additional posts in here have validated my assumption that you have little-to-no knowledge about the topic of discussion.

Good day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. ch4os

ch4os MDL Junior Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Please check screenshots of my second link. You can use a usb drive --or-- a password to authenticate. Try it for yourself if you don't believe it. I have this in use myself.

11. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Just wanted to update with my own experience. I am not having in-depth knowledge like many of the posters here so the explanation may not be very technical.
    When I received the laptop there was a single C: partitions and some other windows partitions. The partition was showing as Encrypted. However BitLocker was not turned on. I shrunk the C: and made a D: drive. Then I turned on BitLocker only for D: drive. When the computer was started and I tried to access the D: drive it would ask for password to unlock the drive. However this was a problem if there were some system or startup apps having data in D: drive. I could not find any method to unlock D: at startup or before login. Could not enable Auto unlock feature of BitLocker because C: was not encrypted.
    I did not want to have TPM enabled for C: so that I could be able to access the HDD on another computer if at all needed. I disabled TPM for BitLocker from Group Policy Editor. Then encrypted the C: drive also. Used the PIN option and enabled auto-unlock on D:
    Now, I get PIN input at boot and then the login screen. Since my laptop has fingerprint sensor, using this logs me and and both C: and D: are unlocked.
    I used a WinPE USB and both partitions were locked and could be unlocked by using BitLocker. Even if I directly booted into PE from hibernation mode, the partitions were still locked.
    So it's very convenient to have C: encrypted with TPM disabled and D: auto unlocked. Did not really find any affect on performance.