Ventoy - Easy USB multiboot for ISO files (UEFI, too!)

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Atari800XL, May 1, 2020.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #41 Mr.X, May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 6, 2020
  2. Skunk1966

Skunk1966 MDL Member

Jul 15, 2011
    @ventoy your tool looks awesome so thanks for it.
    I just found this topic and checked out your website but it got flagged as malicious website by malwarebytes. Whitelisted your website and I thought you would like to be notified about this issue

3. zero cool root

zero cool root MDL Senior Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Hi,

I could not do it..?? How did you make it work, pls..??

4. #46 Deleted member 1071488, May 7, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2020
    very easy Brother . Install ventoy on your Usb & put grubfm_multiarch.iso in root of your usb drive second partition which is visible .
    first partition remains hidden as EFI system hidden attribute is set on it.
    boot from your ventoy usb select grubfm_multiarch.iso & press enter .
    there you are into grubfm from ventoy usb . then you can easily select any wim file from your ventoy usb second partition which is unhidden & boot from wim.

very easy it is . isnt it :)

5. zero cool root

Jun 17, 2011
    #47 zero cool root, May 8, 2020
    Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Firstly, thanks for the answer.

Sorry my bad english..!!

I did this procedure, but when selecting the .wim file, it opens instead of starting the installation.!!

6. yes brother it will show you boot menu of that wim file you selcted to boot either from [ntboot] or from [wim boot] select any among these two boot menu of wim whichever works at your side.
    please dont use install wim file there as install wim can only be used with iso format cuz many dependencies are there to install that windows wim file inside iso but if you extract install wim file from iso & try to boot from it via ventoy that wont work for sure . you can easily boot that whole iso from ventoy menu & install windows via that.
    please be clear that you can only select either WinRE , WinPE or WinFE wim files via this wim boot menu.

i hope everything will be cleared as nothing is left to answer your query .

7. coleoptere2007

coleoptere2007 MDL Guru

Apr 8, 2008
    French already done by someone else

8. zero cool root

Jun 17, 2011
  9. i have already told you brother dont use install.wim with grubfm_multiarch.iso on ventoy as you have to boot it directly from iso itself from which you extracted it cuz there are many other dependencies like boot wim inside sources directory which itself is a part of this install.wim & sxs folder inside sources directory again to get it success to boot & install on a machine .

You can boot only WinPe , WinRe , WinFe boot wim via grubfm_multiarch.iso menu.

Please somebody else help him to understand what i am trying to . might be he is not understanding my sentence correctly thatswhy trying to boot install.wim directly from grubfm_multiarch iso meny which cant be possivble in any scenario as everybody knows here on our community .

10. zero cool root

Jun 17, 2011
    Brother,

I'm from Brazil..!!

Now I get it. I think I got it wrong because of the language. Sorry..!!

Thank you so much..!! :-D

11. mephistooo2

mephistooo2 MDL Junior Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #55 Atari800XL, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    (OP)
    Weird choice of words here. Maybe a Google translation?

"Alternatively I recommend Grub2FM"
    ?
    No need to say "alternatively", as both products have their merits, and both developers have a good "working relation" with each other.
    Ventoy is a very user-friendly solution, with some exlusive features (for example: boot from a Windows iso, and continue installation).
    Or as the developer says: "Ventoy is a whole solution, not only boot but also the whole installation process for every iso (iso that not just boot like PE)"
    Check out his message here.
    Ventoy allows you to boot Grub2FM, a very powerful tool, but maybe for the more advanced user. So Ventoy's easy Grub2FM support is a great way for beginners to test Grub2FM.

"According to the Ventey project, its alternatives are better"
    What? No, the Ventoy project does not mention "the alternatives are better". Why the heck would they? (Do you tell your wife "my brother does this better?").

13. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks.
    The "auto installation" feature looks kinda cool. Allow me to quote the info on that from the official Ventoy page:

Ventoy Auto Installation Plugin

Many distros provide unattended deployment solution. You just need to give a script or template for the installation.For example, unattend xml for Windows, kickstart script for Redhat/CentOS, autoYast xml for SUSE, preseed script for Debian and so on. In normal case, if you want to make an unattended deployment, you need to recreate a new iso file based on the original iso file, and add the script or template into the new iso file.
    Now Ventoy brings a new feature here. You don't need to recreate a new iso file, just use the original one. You just need to put a script or template in the USB drive and tell ventoy, that's all. You can also update these scripts whenever you want.

In theory, as long as the distribution supports automatic installation through script or template, Ventoy can support it, but it takes time to test each one. For example:

Windows (Unattend XML)

RHEL7/CentOS7/Fedora (Kickstart script)
    Debian/Ubuntu Server (Preseed script)
    SUSE (autoYast XML)

Json Configuration: An auto_install array is defined to describe the auto installation configuration.

Code:
    {
       "auto_install" : [
           {
               "image": "/ISO/cn_windows_server_2012_r2_vl_x64_dvd_2979220.iso",
               "template": "/ventoy/script/windows_unattended.xml"
           },
           {
               "image": "/000/centos.iso",
               "template": "/ventoy/script/centos_kickstart.cfg"
           },
           {
               "image": "/SLE-12-SP3-Server-DVD-x86_64-GM-DVD1.iso",
               "template": "/ventoy/script/suse_autoyast.xml"
           },
           {
               "image": "/ubuntu-16.04-server-amd64.iso",
               "template": "/ventoy/script/ubuntu_server.seed"
           }
       ]
    }

14. istighfar

istighfar MDL Junior Member

Apr 18, 2020
    Great tool, i was hoping for a tool like that to emerge one day and here it is.
    Thank you for the great work and thanks for making it available here.
    I tested it on VM and it is working perfectly!!!

15. mephistooo2

mephistooo2 MDL Junior Member

Feb 5, 2008
    #59 mephistooo2, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
    No need to get ugly... :mad:
    I just suggested an alternative.
    No need for such a reaction...

I would also like you to know that I am in direct contact with @Reagan(a1ive), the owner of the Grub2FM project.
    I help him improve the project on some issues

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. zero cool root

Jun 17, 2011
    Sorry brother..!!