What is bloatware?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by Crime[Scene], Oct 16, 2016.

1. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Operating systems of all sorts offer extra software. Some is good for some people, other software will go unused. I remember the desktop links that MS put on Windows 98. I forget what they were called. Also, there have always been games installed. I find there are many apps which I do not use. I simply remove them from the start menu. They are still there, take up little space, do not effect performance, and who knows? some day I may want to try them out.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Windows 10 did a lot more than just add 2 or 3 apps that they could call "features". That I could at least understand. Rather they added a lot of junk that many folks seek to remove (whole forums such as MDL with thousands of post dedicated on removing that junk). Both commercial and open source developers actually developing programs to remove that junk too.

I think the general consensus speaks volumes. ;)

Then there are of course individuals such as yourself, who find comfort in the bloatware. :tea:

3. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    Well, it appears as if the only complaints are on the forums. Most regular users find them helpful. I personally know many people using Windows 10, and I have not heard a single complaint about the apps. Only fascination. But hey! Each to his own.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    We'll agree to disagree because my experience is a lot different than yours. I honestly cannot find anyone, without me even asking, who thinks Windows 10 is "great" (online or offline). The general consensus to everyone who talks about Windows or their computer is how bloated they feel Windows 10 is.

You know it's bad when even commercial (paid) software developers find time to offer tools to remove junk
    https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Windows 10 works just fine here :)

I don't agree much with dhjons but the general public users couldn't care less about the socalled "spyware" in 10 (it just isn't).

PS, those commercial software developers do it to make money of the "privacy" hype ;)

6. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #26 GOD666, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    I'm sure it "works". Bloatware works. :p

But I and as far as the eye can see... Really wish Windows 10 was released in the fashion of Windows LTSB, but with the store and regular updates.

7. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    But the lawyers don't, because it is all hype! :clap::clap::clap:

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Your sig links to add the store to LTSB, ................................................

9. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Yes, I'm aware of it and "for now" it works for LTSB. It took 1 year for that to be released because I still cannot make heads or tails with modern apps (and my time to do anything these days is so limited, I'm lucky to even talk on forums). Really wish someone else had taken up the task.

They've already made it so it no longer works (overall) on Windows Server. I do not like to imagine the future of Windows.

10. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Store apps all send info...

11. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    The info the Store sends I'm not worried about. It's all the other unwanted junk.

Although I wish the store was a stand alone that could easily be uninstalled and reinstalled. Cannot tell you how many times folks found the store not working (Google it) and being told to do a restore of the whole OS, just for that 1 app, is silly.

12. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    #32 hb860, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    My definition of bloatware even you did a clean install: it is most of modern apps which are provisioned or bundled, updates you cannot disable and Windows Servicing stack - these things are eating my drive like a hungry dog.

13. Order_66

Order_66 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2010
    Maybe you should get out more, I hear complaints from users every day about windows 10, comments about the apps are overwhelmingly negative, consumers really despise them and for good reason.

14. Order_66

Order_66 MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2010
    Software has never been in such a sorry state as it is today thanks to microsoft and it's only going to get worse unfortunately.:(

15. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Yes you can disable any or all updates on any version of Windows 10. Look at my sig. Also, I love your winaero tweaker.

16. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Thanks.
    I am also using the Minitool created in here. Thanks for sharing the script. And thanks for kind words!

17. Zardoc

Zardoc MDL Addicted

Feb 7, 2008
    Well, I might be repeating what others have said in a different way, but my definition of bloatware is everything you get that you don't want with a specific software you purchased. :tasty:
    Perfect example, NERO software. Most users wanted a great burning tool but had to pay for all the extras that most never wanted to use. Symantec, HP, Dell, Asus (all computer manufacturers) are really good at it. Microsoft, is probably the best. When you see a whole bunch of computer forums offering tweaks to trim the OS and raise performance (Ex nLite) it seems that Windows needs GAS-X. At least with NERO you could choose what to install and what not to install. Unless you want a totally bland Windows (LTSB) (and that choice is subjective. It's only my opinion), you'll just have to learn how to tweak.

18. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    If you don't want it and can safely remove it, it's just bloatware.

If you don't want it and you can't remove it, it's malware.

19. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    It seems to me, this thread about the simple subject of bloatware, which has long been clarified, is now reaching bloatthread proportions, with too many bloatopinions and bloatdefinitions bloating the readers minds, to which this bloatpost of mine is now added.

20. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    For me it's any software I find to be useless, space taking and performs either a duplicate function or does stuff I really don't want done in the manner in which it works. To my wife, some of those very same programs are useful to her. It just depends ...