What is the meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by sid_16, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm let my life take me any way :D:p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. andrew-s

andrew-s MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2009
    is being non dead.

3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Do you mean....like living dead?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Old Fudge

Old Fudge MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2018
    You only live once (as you). What you'll be next time? Who knows... o_O

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I would tend to think...you'll be dead

6. Old Fudge

Aug 5, 2018
    True, YOU are dead but your soul lives forever. Like energy it is neither created nor destroyed.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    It might be that the meaning of life is simply to find a meaning for your own life. i.e. a place where you're comfortable in your own skin.
    Do you want a soul mate? An agenda? Material possessions and power? You discover these things along the way.

Sometimes, a song sums things up beautifully. :)

9. Old Fudge

Aug 5, 2018
    True, you are what you make yourself to be and how you choose your path. That's your destiny.

However, after you die and be reborn you can be anywhere in the universe. I don't think we are limited to Earth.

10. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    I agree to disagree, why? because, when the body decomposes autobiographical memory is irretrievably lost. whatever 'survives' death cannot be personal in any nontrivial sense.

Just consider an example of an electric bulb below:
    When the electrical energy flows through the filament of the bulb, it glows and converts electrical energy into light energy. When the bulb is fused the glow disappears.

Here, where has the energy gone? Is it right to say that the glow of the bulb still exists in some other form? The electrical energy which caused the bulb to glow still exists as a potential in the circuit ready to cause a glow on another bulb but the glow of the old bulb is gone for good.

Soul or spirit if we equate it with consciousness, is the result of qualia, various feelings/experiences generated in the brain circuitry. It is driven by energy and is comparable to the electric bulb example. Once the brain is dead (as the bulb is fused) the glow of the soul or spirit or consciousness disappears for good. The energy which caused the consciousness remain as energy but it cannot exist as the earlier consciousness which it caused.

Energy becomes recognizable only when it is manifested on matter. Other wise it is just energy without any distinctive or individual properties.

11. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    #331 sid_16, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    (OP)
    If I'm not wrong you're talking about the quantum immortality ... the idea that you can never really die because there is always a universe where you continue to live.

It's not a conclusion that I'm particularly happy about, but one I cannot find a good reason to reject.

12. Old Fudge

Aug 5, 2018
    We are not light bulbs sid, We have memories. Under hypnosis did our past lives were revealed. I realized now that we are not universal beings as we have no memories of being an alien.

Unless that info was suppressed from the public. :eek:

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Are you sure some of are not aliens from someplace else?
    I've met some peeps before that I could swear came from another planet at one time.

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @sid: I think you mean immortality. :D

Quantum immorality is when you quantum couple with another persons' spouse. :)

15. Old Fudge

Aug 5, 2018
    You're closer to the truth than you realize. We do have aliens living among us. My friend's uncle who's a retired naval officer said that what they know will scare the hell out of us. He said also that while he cannot tell us the secrets but that the aliens are very real.

There's no way we are the only inhabited planet in the universe. There will be remote lifeforms that are vastly different while some can be bipeds like us. Like we are humans, animals, reptiles and insects here what are they out there?

16. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    :eek:

17. sid_16

Oct 15, 2011
    Corrected.

18. mstzl

mstzl MDL Novice

May 23, 2017
    Don't care about gain and loss, seek happiness in your life and work

19. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    My favorite quotes.

Attached Files:

20. Bob TheBlob

Bob TheBlob MDL Novice

Oct 9, 2018