Why moving to Linux to avoid Microsoft spying is impossible for most people

Discussion in 'Linux' started by roga, Aug 29, 2015.

1. mitsos

mitsos MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2012
  2. mitsos

mitsos MDL Junior Member

Nov 10, 2012
    #83 mitsos, Aug 30, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
    Here we go again with the linux spam. Ok, the title of the thread is locking the reactions but... anyway...
    People worry for privacy on windows and suggest us to install a linux distro, sometimes from an completely unknown
    "community" from the "dark side", without any clue what in gods name that os is doing on the backround...
    Even when ubuntu, the most "stable" linux with less bugs, is not completely "open source" like already mentioned,
    i hear nobody complaining what is really going on backwards... Maybe due to lack of, among others, users globally...

M$ created windows to be user friendly for everybody and they pretty succed with that. Linux is not.
    That all of us are communicating here, and doing so much things through internet was Bill Gate's vision, creation and result of hard work.
    What goverments, inteligence agencies and other third parties are doing with M$ products, or the oversight microsoft gets from US goverment,
    is not the guilt of microsoft himself.

3. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    what makes people think just because u run a linux OS u cant be spy on by NSA or FBI.....if u are online thats all it takes your vulnerable no matter what your running.

4. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @WindowsGeek: We know this. PRISM picks it up when it passes through the ISP and hits the backbone.

I will speak for Myself when I say that for Me, I'm doing it because I like to learn. And, I'm not afraid of a challenge.

Others may have different reasons. :)

:MJ

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Someone please close this thread and send it to the bowels of hell due to the excessive amount of FUD being spread by Windows fanbois who have no idea what they are talking about because they are too lazy to read and learn something and want everything spoon-fed to them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    Maybe MDL should have a Linux Section :confused: Oh Wait it does but there's Nobody there :D Probably one of the worst things preventing Linux from becoming more popular is Overzealous Fanboys. :mad: I'm not talking about Linux Users in general, just those that have a habit of trying to Hijack every Windows Help thread. Half page long rants on how Stupid Windows Users are for paying for their OS :confused: constantly have that happening on some of the torrent sites I belong to :g: I did just say torrent sites :eek: Fact is a lot of us "Windows Fanboys" also use Linux, just most of the programs we need to run, and the games we want to play only work with Windows. But We don't go around calling the Linux Fanboys Stupid for not using Windows. Toning down the rhetoric would do wonders for getting more people to consider using Linux. And that's My rant for the Day :biggrin:

7. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
  8. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
  9. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    People like you deserve no OS to use. Cut off your Internet cable and be happy. Win10 of Linux? Yeah, like your privacy really matters to the government. You know what? The whole Internet was invented by the government and DARPA. There are tons of nodes in the Internet that the government can intercept anything you transmit. Encryption? There are backdoors in them as well. So you are basically transparent in the eyes of the government.

My advice to you is to cut off your Internet and smash your computer. Go back to stone age.

10. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Or, just sit back and enjoy the show. :D

11. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #94 pf100, Aug 30, 2015
    I trust Ubuntu (Canonical) a lot more than I trust Microsoft, but I'm less paranoid than most I guess. That's why I'm dual booting kubuntu and windows 10 and am using both every day. I'm ready to switch at any time. I hold allegiance to what I feel will work the best for me for every day use, which for me is to dual boot right now. Superior audio (Breakaway in windows, and there are equivalent linux workarounds) and games in windows keep me from switching to linux full time. Libre office and gimp do most of what I want, the rest I can do in windows. Most games I try work in linux especially if they'll do opengl even though I may have to put extra time and studying to make it work, like having to play in window-mode, things like that. For the thousands of times you've heard it, if it weren't for games I'd switch today.

12. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #95 odiebugs1, Aug 30, 2015
    :rofl6: The web was invented by Cern, and almost every tech the Gov has was made by the private sector, besides stealing they only live off the heels of others work.

After reading your posts I better clarify, I said web not internet. That wire and hub switches is noting compared to what is the web.

But they do make their own aircraft, subs, vehicles, Radar, Missiles. :laie:

MIT beat google maps for street view, but were funded by Darpa so they steal the credit, big shocker.

MIT had the first OS, but again Darpa funded them so they stole that also.

Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab invented GPS, take a wild guess.

Stealth was stolen from Germany.

13. eemuler

eemuler MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Look, it is one thing to trawl through the massive amounts of data that pass through any given internet node looking for keywords and triggers. It is quite another to maintain a database, neatly sorted by HWID, with your personal details like IP address, email IDs, usernames and passwords (yes, the keylogger can do that), all the software applications installed along with their licenses, lists of all the media files stored on your drives - internal and external, etc. etc. All this information is impossible to hide from your OS. You could hide stuff by using different browsers for different kinds of activities - e.g. Chrome for email, facebook etc. and Firefox for general browsing and forums like this, so Firefox doesn't know your real world identity. But the OS knows; you might as well log in here with your real name and email ID. Earlier, someone needed to hack through your firewall or drop a trojan on your system and then try to find out all these things. Now the OS itself is the spyware, already behind the firewall, already doing trojan-like stuff like logging keystrokes, already sending this data back over the internet.

Sure, the OS has always spied on you, but previously that data could be retrieved after they obtained a court order and seized your computer; with Win10 it will be different.

Take a look at your profile on MDL. What personal information have you provided there? Do you have any objection to adding your personal email ID, FB and Twitter IDs, what media files you have, what other sites you are subscribed to, with login info for all of the above? With Win10 anyone with access to your database record (and you can bet it won't just be Microsoft) can just launch a query for oliverjia, and they'll have everything they want to know neatly arranged right on one page (ok, maybe the list of media files will run into several pages).

14. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    I've been trying it every now and then since the release of windows 8.0. Most recently Steam wouldn't install on Ubuntu from the app store and Kodi required fiddling with terminal or else an older version would install which would crash on startup. Then Mint used to stop working when I allowed it to update to what it labelled as stable updates. Meh. 10 years ago I might not have minded all this but now I just can't be bothered.

15. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014

will he be able to get along with fred flintstone?;)

16. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I really have enjoyed this thread. It is time to bring a bit more logic into this.

The internet was created by the US government as a research project. This was so that information could be more easily shared amongst people. Every time I hear CERN saying they invented the internet my BS detector goes crazy. CERN created the Graphic User Interface for the Internet aka the web browser which acts as the front end. The back end was created by the US as a research project. Now can we please get rid of the amount of fear mongering in this thread it really is annoying.

We need to get back on topic.

Linux is a great alternative to Windows. It has the ability to be customized at every level and there is a clear abundance of distros. This means we literally have a distro for any case you need it for. It has the power to be there when you need a quick OS that is preconfigured as opposed to Windows which has none of that and is dumb. You heard me Windows is a dumb OS bc it has generic usage along with not being able to be run live hardware wise. I will use windows when I need to use generic work but linux just trumps it everywhere except Video Games. There done.

17. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007