Why moving to Linux to avoid Microsoft spying is impossible for most people

Discussion in 'Linux' started by roga, Aug 29, 2015.

1. DInK UK

DInK UK MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2018
    Agreed I have been exclusively Linux (Mint) for the last 5 years and my wife has had to use it with me, she is a Windows user at work but prefers Linux as she finds it more powerful and faster! (her words). She has asked her work to switch but they are so stuck/invested in MS Windows (all their servers are Linux) they are reluctant to change!

My advice to anyone considering trying Linux is to dual boot for 12 months and think first "Do I need MS Windows for what I'm about to do? For me never started MS Windows, and have removed it out of my life completely.

2. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Good advice for Linux newbies. I started to use Ubuntu more than 10 years ago, but at the beginning it was only installed on a POS aged PC and being used occasionally. Then I dual boot Windows with Ubuntu on my main PC and start to boot more and more into Ubuntu. About a year ago I installed only Ubuntu on my main PC, and have a Windows 10 VirtualBox image, that I have used only once when I had to fire up TurboTax to file my tax return. Other than that, Ubuntu all the way. I also formatted all my HDDs with EXT4 to store data on them. The more you use Linux, the more you'll get to know and familiar with more Linux apps, and the less you'll depend on Windows. Be brave and embrace the free Linux world.

3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ Oliverjia very good post congrats dude :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. qofbored

qofbored MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2013
    Like anything in life, you need to stick to it for at least 30 days to form a habit.
    This includes getting used to Linux and comfortably using it for your daily computer tasks.
    The learning curve is steep because the system is very different from Windows, but after some time you will 'get it'.
    Just remember that you can solve any issue because you can find solutions and tutorials online easily.
    Soon enough you will memorize the Terminal commands and will develop an understanding of their syntax and how the system is designed.
    You can be assured that by using Linux you have much less risk from viruses, and that you are supporting Open Source which is a wonderful method.

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I understand all the opinions here and I agree to them as binding but there are a lot of things you can do better in Windows or Mac OS X that you cannot do on Linux, most especially, gaming, professional graphic designing, etc. The only time I have come across something in Linux that is not so functional in Windows is when trying to get my hand dirty with developing Android OS as AOSP using the SDK provided by Google and I couldn't get it to pass many stages.

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    well here I am re-starting to work with Linux OS this time I intend to use the KDE Manjaro on my main machine but on another HDD and not on the SSD where STILL this is my Windows 8.1 I hope to get well this time although I know the manjaro is structured on top of Arch Linux which is somewhat complicated to set up but I think I can achieve my goal; when the system is installed and configured correctly return here to post my impressions :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I tried Manjaro, very nice, but its moving away from Arch. Its not recommended that you use Arch Repo's which restricts software options.

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep you are correct, hehe after search more deep I can see this restrictions ;) so downloading now Ubuntu 18.04.1x64 and as I tell before after installation and correctly configurated I make post show my installl and impressions only wait in this momemnt I'm running my beloved old LG C400 Laptop is slow as hell (only have 4GB mbram) damn!!!AMD is more fast :p:p

9. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    SSD and it'll be OK... ?Cheap these days.. ;)

10. Kim100

Kim100 MDL Addicted

Jun 17, 2009
    I found the latest Ubuntu and all the distros based on it [the common ones] to be unstable, it might be my PC but I doubt it. I use Debian now with no issues [MX Linux to be exact] rock solid and loads of software to choose from.

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep dude ok, so believe me or not but yesterday when I'm trying installing Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS suddenly yhe system warning me that "one error occur" so is for me make new install... then I simply quit, And my anger was so much that I decided not to install anything else ;):mad: so I can look in MX Linux also to see more details thanks :)

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Linux is full of such messages but it still works rather surprisingly well!!!

I would urge you to see my earlier post about what I installed and how, and see if that would satisfy you... ;)

13. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
  14. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    haha do you believe I don't see this post!!! already download them now thanks ;):eek::D

15. eeritia

eeritia Guest

My laptop with Arch works quite well (XFCE + Compton and nouveau driver), but on the other end, it's garbage on my i7 / GTX 1070 (i.e tearing albeit I forced full composition, still feels sluggish, not as smooth as W10 sadly)

On the other end, people are stuck with habits, even if it means sacrificing privacy (generally speaking of course [hello faces**t and the rest of the crew]), as long as it works...

16. RideTheLightning

RideTheLightning MDL Member

Sep 20, 2018
    I'm on Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS on my laptop which used to run Windows 10, can't say that I have missed out on anything important in my daily life since the switch.
    My gaming PC is still running Windows 10 and since it's offline it's perfectly alright.

17. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    You wrote...:
    And previously:
    I merely proposed a way that you could inexpensively get what you seem to favour, that's all !!

If I had such a leaning I would certainly use the least expensive h/w to get the job done;
    But for now I'm very, very happy with Ubuntu Mate which I tweak a bit for my own tastes along with using VMs for anything else that I may require, which run very smoothly.

18. freedomsi

freedomsi MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2018
    I tried Linux mint elementary OS , Ubuntu but i always come back to windows.

On windows 1 click to install and do anything i need. On linux i have to research for hours and hours to fix something... I try my best to block windows 10 spying as more as possible.