Why use Windows 11 over other Windows versions on unsupported hardware?

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by TigTex, Sep 4, 2021.

Tags:
  1. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I'm starting by quoting wikipedia on this to explain my point of view:

We don't use "windows". We use the applications that run on top of the windows kernel. Most of you probably spend your time with a browser opened, perhaps you have a couple of games installed and do some productivity work with an Office suite.

Let's say, I have a computer from 2009, it runs Windows 7 perfectly because it's an operating system designed in that era.
    Now I'm going to install Windows 11 on it: I have to run multiple hacks to get it installed because my cpu is "unsupported" but now I have the "latest and greatest version of windows" installed! oh yeah!

What I have won?
    - reduced performance. Windows 7 performs great on fast 10k rpm HDD's, windows 10/11 everything is slowed down. Opening my day to day software is slower, the available system resources are also lower and because of that, the system is less responsive.
    - improved security? not really. Windows 7 and above still have security updates. When they do stop, it's time to upgrade
    - more features? If I use libreoffice and chrome, it will still be exactly the same software with windows 11. It's the same binaries! Just slowed down because of the extra overhead of a modern operating system.
    - more gaming performance?. A 2009 computer doesn't have hardware that can benefit from raytracing and directx12. So this is false

I'm an hardware enthusiast and I've worked all my life repairing it. Has such, I love to get the most of any hardware for me and for my customers. Running the right software for your specific task is as important as the hardware you choose. And if you know, the low level of software is the Windows kernel built into Windows itself.

So, I see guys complaining that "oh no, my i7 7700k doesn't run Windows 11! Whyyyyy!". There's absolutely no problem with this. There's an operating system for every era of hardware. I wouldn't install Windows 8/10/11 on a core2duo. But you do can install older windows versions and still use your computer safely.
    I get it, this is mydigitallife, I've been here for a dozen of years now. We love to thinker with everything. Don't get me wrong, I also do! And I will install Windows 11 on my unsupported devices just because I can and I want to have that experience.

For me an operating system is just that, an operating system. It needs to be fast, reliable, secure and compatible. Heck, I game everyday on my machine, I like to overclock to get the most possible performance and I don't even run an antivirus suite for that extra FPS and reduced loading time. Why would I install a software that will ruin my experience? Why would I install Windows 11?

So I would like to know your opinion on this. Why are you installing unsupported operating systems on your current hardware?

(this thread is mostly a rant, I know)

2. Topstep1

Topstep1 MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2007
    .. because it's there and we can.

PC Enthusiast making things work that DON'T work is what propels this Industry.

For me personally; I like being 'ahead' of the curve (It's coming so you might as well get up-to-date with it and use to it.

3. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    I love installing Windows 11 on 10 year old netbooks and computers. Just to try it.

4. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Ok, I also do it just to try it. It's fun.
    Buuuut... do you have plans of using it as your main OS?

5. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Well, maybe in 2025. (?)

Or maybe earylier. It really depends how well all my apps and games will perform using W11...for sure hard to tell now, as I wont set up a W11 machine for work anytime soon.

6. feefre

feefre MDL Member

May 11, 2020
    Right now, the only "true" reason to use W11 on a unsupported machine is the WSA (Android)

We all know android "emulators" for windows are absolute BS, they're stupidly heavy, full of adware and quite slow if your pc its not a high end

While WSA would work like WSL or in it, making it run at least a bit faster than the crap that is Nox and Bluestacks if your pc is from 5 years ago, and a lot faster if your pc has a 6-7th gen intel core or Zen AMD, throwing away the pain of running a headless VirtualBox VM, plus without the annoyance of ads or unwanted apps

While this will not be there when W11 hits GA, its already being worked on by MS and may be ready for 22h1 (Nickel), hoping it also fixing the stupidly unstable and function-limited that is the new shell

7. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    See, I even forgot about the promised Android support...ya, could be a nice add-on...

8. Eorxroa

Eorxroa MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2011
    Future Build of Windows 11 (e.g. 22H2 "Nickel") won't working Unsupported Hardware.
    Buy new PC/Laptop come with Windows 11 pre-installed.

9. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    I can do a live USB of Android-x86 if I really need to run Android on my desktop, or even install it in a VM (cleaner than both Nox and BS). Or if I'm developing for Android, it'd be even easier to just use the official Android emulator in the SDK. Could also toss apks on my Oculus Quest. And absolute worst-case, I have a box full of old physical Android devices, or the ability to pick up a Nexus 5 off eBay for like $50. I can't imagine running an unsupported frankenOS just because of an Android emulator.

DirectStorage is potentially something I'd do this for, if I played any games that supported it.

10. crypticus

crypticus MDL Senior Member

Jun 29, 2015
    not everyone uses computer for media entertainment and just office works. people working in 3d industry or other engineering architecture industry sometimes needs latest versions of everything since software will refuse to work otherways. for me i'm using autocad revit 3dsmax etc and with windows 11 i get more performance out of them on some tasks. i don't care about gaming performance but i am %99.9 sure win11 will get better for games too.

so i will have to use every single update out there for my softwares and os... also if i was not using my computer for work, i would still get the latest just because i can and i love getting and learning and knowing everything outhere before normal users use it. tweaking a new os is always easier than sticking with old and making new things work on old os.

if you like win7 go back to winxp or dos. they are older and more stable in some cases. don't like how it sound? sorry. or if you don't like how microsoft acts, you can always use linux android mac or even chromeos or maybe new huawei os

11. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    That's unexpected; I would expect things like AutoCAD and other enterprise/pro software to not require the latest OS, let alone even work with it right away. Such software expects stability, which isn't usually there on the newest OS.

12. crypticus

Jun 29, 2015
    why would they work? it's so much work to make the software work on all OS platforms... for exp 3dsmax 2022 only works on win10, you can edit setup xml files to install it on win 7 or 8.1 but won't worth the effort since 3rd party plugins will not properly work this time. world is evolving every minute, stop fighting evolve with it.

13. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Well, I don't agree with you ege914.
    If you use CAD software and are always installing the latest version, you will need to have recent hardware to so. As such, your systems highly likely to already be supported by Windows 11 and this thread is about "unsupported" hardware.
    You bring a valid point though: you will install Windows 11 because some software doesn't support Windows 10 or older. But it's 2021 at the time of this post and Windows 10 will be supported at least to 2025 so the software houses will target Win10 as a supported operating system.

This is a strange response. Sure, I like Windows 7 on Win7 era hardware like core2duo. I like XP on pentium3 and pentium4. I like MSDOS on 386/486. Every system has a corresponding operating system designed optimally for it.

TLDR; My question is, if your system doesn't support windows 11 but all your applications still run on windows 10 and it's still a secure and supported operating system, why are people panicking about having a "unsupported system"? Remember, Windows is just an operating system. You execute applications on top of the operating system

14. crypticus

Jun 29, 2015
    simple because people want to use the new features

15. P40L0

P40L0 MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Sure, just don't complain if something is not working as expected after.

16. WinDev

WinDev MDL Expert

Jul 6, 2013
    I think it's possible to install Windows 11 even on Pentium 4 machines (Cedar Mill and Prescott, not older variants).

17. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    #17 Michel, Sep 6, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    @TigTex: Or switch to linux, they dont tell you your pc processor is to old. I am dual booting right now but in the future no more microsoft for me. Zorin OS 16 Core/Pro is one of the best distro's i have ever seen.

Also people complain why the i7 7700k is not supported is understandable. The processor is 4-5 years old. So if all the idiots are following Microsofts way you can buy every 4-5 years a new pc. Very consumer friendly this is (NOT)

I am really done with Microsoft and their way they are going in to.

I really hope people will switch in the future to linux so more and more companies will support linux for games and such...its time to show microsoft a big middlefinger. There days are over....

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  19. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    Your example is bad because Windows 7 is past End of Life and is not not safe to use.

20. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It still can be kept uptodate with ESU updates next 2.5 years.