Win 8.x • Win 7 • Vista - 'Multi-OEM' ISO Project

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by searchengine, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Unfortunately, searchengine turned in his user status.
    If you are good at modding, you can find the hardware ids and such and make the extra folders and stuff for newer manufacturers though...
    Then you just copy the various filenames and formats for the images.

2. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    I am going to look into this to see if I can get it working with win 10...cant do anything about the tool but I can update the oobe.cmd file.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Very much appreciated my friend.:worthy:

4. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    I agree ! :worthy:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
  6. skolar

skolar MDL Novice

May 5, 2014
    #2207 skolar, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    OOBE.cmd (incorrect entry)
    Code:
    %RQR1% | findstr /I "\<WINDOWS\>" | findstr /I "\<10\>" >nul&&%INL% SET WINVER=10&goto :BIOS

Manufacturer theme is applied despite this error, because of entries:
    Code:
    IF NOT DEFINED WINVER GOTO :BRANDING
    IF NOT DEFINED EDITION GOTO :BRANDING
    IF /I "%WINVER%"=="VISTA" goto :TRANSFER3
    IF /I "%WINVER%"=="7" goto :TRANSFER3

7. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #2208 The_Guardian, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    You are correct and wrong at the same time...let me explain.
    The reason behind not using technical preview is because its just a preview not the actual final OS so I added the above line to be ready for win 10 when final is released.
    This is why it applies regardless which is correct also for it is still a not defined windows version so it goes to branding where it will check for oem-dm key in bios (which doesn't exist yet for it is technical preview only) and if exist applies oem-dm key. This might not work in win 10 final depending if they keep the same scheme for oem activation or not. No way to test this yet in a technical preview. :(
    This replaces the if /I not "%winver%"=="8" goto :TRANSFER3 because it is needed for win 10 as well but not for vista or win 7 so it goes to :TRANSFER3 for those.

I knew a few out there would complain but now maybe you see why I did it the way I did (its made for future FINAL win 10 when released).

8. skolar

skolar MDL Novice

May 5, 2014
    I understand your logic.

OOBE.cmd :TRANSFER3
    aero.theme is temporarily renamed to theme3.theme

OEM-Sync.exe
    has function to return theme3.theme to original theme name, but only after it checks if system is Win8x.
    has function to apply OEM-DM key, but only after it checks if system is Win8x.

9. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #2210 The_Guardian, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
    I think you are misunderstanding the default windows theme...the only time windows theme will be installed is if the machine has No oem match (this is the same for vista, win 7, win 8.x and win 10 when released). If oem machine found then it will apply that theme and info thus making backups like for example your theme3.theme (aero). I have done nothing to the script in this area...its still original. The oem-sync.exe has nothing to do with the themes being applied, only info for slic table and oem-dm key info and apply if found. There was only small changes made for it to work with windows 10...compare it to the original and you will see.

10. skolar

skolar MDL Novice

May 5, 2014
    #2211 skolar, Oct 18, 2014
    I understand you changed nothing on OOBE.cmd :TRANSFER2 section, but if Manufacturer brand discovered, then the script renames aero.theme to theme3.theme, and names the discovered Manufacturer theme as aero.theme, thus Windows shows Manufacturer theme as default theme at first desktop view. The OEM-Sync.exe initiates a runonce instruction to rename theme3.theme back to aero.theme, and rename the Manufacturer theme to $OEM$.theme on first reboot, thus correcting file names whilst keeping Manufacturer theme applied. It will not do this last part as it does not check for Windows 10.

11. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    #2212 The_Guardian, Oct 18, 2014
    The oem-sync.exe does nothing with themes or images just looks for oem-dm key in bios and if exist applies the key....that is all the oem-sync.exe does period. Everything else is done by the script. Remember you are probably using win 10 technical preview which is called windows technical preview thus why it doesn't find "10" and defaults to undefined version. I am not adjusting the script just for technical preview but for final windows 10 when released. Do you understand? The script runs exactly as it should for right now...might need more adjusting once windows 10 final is released.

12. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Thank you thank you thank you :Egypt:
    Please don't abandon this beautiful project...

13. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    First off its not my project but I just picked it up since no one was working on this anymore. I will do what I can. Take care Mr. X. :)

14. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I know actually this is not your project, it's searchengine's project. What I meant in my previous post is due you've been contributing in the past to it, I know that just by making observations and comments to searchengine, please re-take it and keep it up my friend. Take care you too.

15. skolar

skolar MDL Novice

May 5, 2014
    #2216 skolar, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    If you install Win8x, and look in your Windows folder, before you reboot, you will find W82THM.cmd and if you look in registry you will see a runonce instruction to run this cmd file.

Instructions on cmd file:
    Code:
    @echo off 

if exist "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\theme3.theme" ( 
       takeown /F "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\*.theme" >nul 
       ICACLS "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\*.theme" /reset /T /Q >nul 
       ICACLS "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\*.theme" /grant:r "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\*.theme:(OI)(CI)F" 2>nul 
       REN "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero.theme" "$OEM$.theme" >nul 
       MOVE /Y "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\theme3.theme" "C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero.theme" >nul 
    ) 

del /F /Q "C:\Windows\W82THM.cmd" >nul
    OEM-Sync.exe responsible for this action, and also performs a similar action if Vista installed to rectify img24.

16. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
  17. Deriust

Deriust MDL Novice

Sep 14, 2009
    Does anyone have valid links to the files from post #1? Need to do some "research". Thanks in advance.

18. The_Guardian

The_Guardian Contributor

May 7, 2012
    I will upload tomorrow if no one else beats me to it. lol

In the future I will post an updated version of this project that will not use oem-sync but instead be ran from oobe script. There is no hurry for now for windows 10 is only technical preview which is time bombed. I am not really concerned with this as of yet but when it becomes final I will update the project myself if no one objects. Searchengine done a fantastic job and I wish he was still here but that isn't the case. He will truly be missed. With that being said, I don't want to offend anyone here but I cant see this project just being dropped and no one else wanting to pick it up.

19. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009