Windows 10 ei.cfg / Support for multiple editions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by kokosmann, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Mandy

Mandy MDL Member

Oct 15, 2010
    #41 Mandy, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Yes the above has done the job over the weeks on physical machine as well just by insertions in the final AIO ISO media created from ESDes :biggrin:

Thanks to Abbodi1406's ESDes and Decrypter

2. Panco1

Panco1 MDL Junior Member

Dec 29, 2014
    working on all versions of the same EULA :biggrin:

3. sound2006

sound2006 MDL Novice

Feb 2, 2013
    #43 sound2006, Aug 16, 2015
    Hi All
    Firstly thank you all for replying to me in this thread.
    All of the above ei.cfg works but the problem occurs when you create a multiboot usb (eg easy2boot), windows cannot find the licensing term in Enterprise (all the other os works)

Following on from Murphy78 advise, this is the procedure I used to make all my OS's work (note that i have already imported all my Wims in to one Wim):

Note: This guide assumes that you have a little knowledge of DISM commands (I don't think this guide is too noob friendly)
    If I get more time, I'll try to write up a more comprehensive guide using screenshots.
    I recommend that everyone reads murphy78 guide (at the bottom of his signature, for more understanding)

**Create Structures of License Folder (c:\winall\Licenses)

_Default
    *Add all OS\license.rtf (eg \Core\license.rtf, Professional\license.rtf)
    In my folder, i had: Core, Professional, Enterprise etc...

OEM

Volume

**Mount Image
    Code:
    Dism /Mount-Image /ImageFile:c:\msxx\sources\install.wim /index:2 /MountDir:c:\test\mount

**Use explorer to view image (c:\test\mount)

Path of License files:
    \Windows\system32\en-US\Licenses\_Default NOT \Windows\system32\Licenses (though this folder is good to use as a reference for the named used for OS license folder)!!!

**Now you will need to change permission of folder before you are able to amend any changes:

Code:
    takeown /f c:\test\mount\windows\system32\en-US\Licenses /r /d y & icacls c:\test\mount\windows\system32\en-US\Licenses /grant Administrators:F /t

xcopy /cey c:\winall\Licenses\* c:\test\mount\windows\system32\Licenses
    Note 1: You make get error or an access denied message.

You need to run the 2 commands above a few times and the system will be able to write the files (make sure all files have written to disk!!).

Note 2: I had mounted each of my index (1 through to 7) and completed the above procedure to make sure that I wouldn't run into problems in future (you may only want to do this for the 'Enterprise' index in your WIM).

**Unmount Image (No change)
    Code:
    Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:c:\test\mount /discard
    **Unmount Image (With change)
    Code:
    Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:c:\test\mount /commit
    *Commit change to image (without mounting)
    Code:
    Dism /Commit-Image /MountDir:c:\test\mount
    Using Dism /Unmount-Image /MountDir:c:\test\mount /commit is suffice for most people but i have included the extra commands for future reference.
    remember to close the mount folder before unmounting image or you will get an error message!!!!!

*use oscsimg to compile the files back into an iso

This worked on my 32-bit and 64-bit iso.

After completing the above procedure, all I can say is I have a more deeper respect for people like Murphy78 for sharing his knowledge and even sharing his work as well

Thank You Murphy78 :) and everyone who have helped, I hope some people find this guide useful

4. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    #44 balubeto, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    What distribution channel belongs Windows 10 v1511 Education MSDN?

If I wanted to create an AIO with all editions of Windows 10 with their product codes (belonged to the Retail, OEM and Volume channels) inserted in their respective volume images, what should I include in ei.cfg files for not having licenses problems?

Thanks

Bye

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  6. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    #46 balubeto, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Have you tried to install a clean MSDN Multiple Editions on a vm or pc/lap without a 8.x/10 home embedded key?

ps, it does it all by itself, just hit: "I don't have a key" at initial setup ;)

8. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    So if I insert the related product codes in their respective volume images of Windows 10.x, when I create the AIO containing more editions of this OS, the window, which lists these editions during the first installation phase, is automatically displayed even without inserting the ei.cfg file in media. Right?

Thanks

Bye

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You could just try it yourself, i never use VL editions because my aio's should be usable by all users, who have official keys or HIWD's.

And the ei.cfg with CHANNEL _DEFAULT should be usable for all editions.

10. balubeto

balubeto MDL Addicted

Dec 22, 2009
    #50 balubeto, Mar 7, 2016
    If I were to write in ei.cfg file

Code:
    [EditionID]
    [Channel]
    CHANNEL_DEFAULT
    [VL]

the window, which lists the various editions, will always be displayed. Right?

Thanks

Bye

11. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #51 Enthousiast, Mar 7, 2016
  12. kuroda

kuroda MDL Senior Member

Aug 25, 2012
    ...The pid key does not work for a aio iso to release all versions,for this use the ei.cfg...:rolleyes:

13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why would someone use a pid.txt on an ALL IN ONE iso ;)

Only to enforce a pro install w. HWID on a system with an embedded oem:Dm 8.x/10 Core/Home key, a pid.txt or ei.cfg is needed.

14. mattew

mattew MDL Member

May 5, 2013
    Hy guys...I created win 7aio.After I created a version of win 10 aio, I export with GImagex the version of win 10 in the install.wim of win7...
    finally with virtualbox, when I want to install win 10 education, i have this error:
    Windows cannot find the Microsoft Software License Terms. Make sure the installation sources are valid and restart the installation
    what's the problem?
    I tried to create the file but I have not managed to solve...

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why do you export a windows 10 version into a windows 7 install.wim, better to do it the other way around and use the windows 10 iso.

What ei.cfg did you use?

16. mattew

mattew MDL Member

May 5, 2013
    I tried to export win 7 to the windows install.wim 10 but I have the same problem...
    the problem is only with the win 10 education and win 10 pro educatiion versions
    I tried them all...I used these ei.cfg

[EditionID]
    [Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]

[EditionID]
    [Channel]
    CHANNEL_DEFAULT
    [VL]

[EditionID]
    [Channel]
    Volume
    [VL]

[EditionID]
    [Channel]
    OEM
    [VL]

17. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    This is what I use and it works:

Code:
    [Channel]
    _Default
    [VL]

18. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    :tooth:

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Try this ei.cfg when the 7 indices are exported to the 10 install.wim and the 10 iso is used:
    Code:
    [Channel]
    _Default
    [VL]