Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 - Can one actually buy a unique key?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by JeanYuhs, Mar 18, 2019.

1. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I know that if I spent hours doing searches for various keywords in specific combinations I'd probably find an answer I could use but honestly it's easier to just ask this outright, so if an Admin or Mod decides this thread isn't worth having around, by all means delete it.

The question:

I and most anyone else can go to eBay and purchase a Product Key for Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 - or at least that's what the listings claim - for roughly $10-15 USD. The real question is this:

Are they legit keys, meaning is it a key that binds the activation to the given machine it's installed on permanently (and stored on Microsoft's servers for later re-installation without it as the consumer Windows 10 does), or is the very nature of LTSC with the way the licensing works and using a KMS in a given organization simply not something that works with just a Product Key?

I'm considering getting one of them because if I decide to use Windows 10 (I am a Windows 7 diehard, really, and won't give it up till I have no choice) I know that LTSC (previously LTSB) is the ONLY version of Windows 10 that I'd be able to tolerate. I have used the 90 day LTSC trial and spent time getting it working on my ThinkPad W540 very well, in a configuration I was actually having no issues with whatsoever.

But of course I'd prefer it to be a bit more permanent so I wouldn't have to a) reinstall it every 89 days (or potentially re-arm it for a trial extension) or b) need to resort to using some KMS emulation or hack of any kind.

So basically are the keys one can purchase actually useful or is it all one big damned scam to make ducats? :)

Thanks for any assistance...

2. oilernut

oilernut MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2007
    There is no legit Enterprise/LTSC keys that you can buy as an individual.

3. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    but valid keys are available. OEM and MAK and yes GVLK(KMS keys)

4. v72dd

v72dd MDL Senior Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Why bother?? :tooth:

5. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    So is it safe to presume that sellers on eBay are probably people that work for companies that get GVLK and MAK Product Keys from MSDN/Microsoft and then just sell 'em off because the companies they work for more than likely would never even notice? I mean, with MAK Product Keys having from 2500 to 5000 activations per key, at least if they still work the same way they did in Vista/7 days, most companies that pay for volume licensing never ever actually use anywhere near that many.

Just curious, I mean it's not like I'd be paying $499 for a Product Key, I may just take a chance on a $13 one however and see what happens.

Thanks for the responses.

6. oilernut

oilernut MDL Senior Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I would just use a KMS hack. Both are technically against the terms of use by Microsoft, so why pay for something that gives you nothing. Plus the key you bought can stop working at any time.

7. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    It's weird that such a comment as the one above has logic to it and is technically true while being problematic at the same time. :)

Again, thanks for the responses, I'll figure something out at some point in the near future.

8. AndyMutz

AndyMutz MDL Senior Member

Jun 30, 2011
    #10 AndyMutz, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
    I was curious about the cheap keys too, so I just bought one of those LTSC 2019 keys for 11,5 EUR.
    lets see what I get :)

EDIT:
    after about 3 hours I got a mail with a key and a link to download "LTSCX64.2019.ENU.JAN2019.iso" from googledrive.
    I did not download the ISO, so I cannot comment on that, but I typed the key into VAMT and its description is "Win 10 RTM EnterpriseS Volume:MAK" and the key had 50 activations left.
    I tried it on one of my LTSC 2019 installations and it worked fine.
    I assume that the remaining activation count will decrease over time, even when I do not use the key on my other installations, as I suspect that the seller sells the same key to more than one buyer..

-andy-

9. whitestar_999

whitestar_999 MDL Addicted

Dec 9, 2011
    If you are ok with giving your money to someone for something he(or she) has no right of selling then go ahead by all means.I would rather use kms & donate that same amount of money to some charity(from non-religious point of view it still helps society & from religious point of view it still gives net positive karma I believe :cool: ).

10. PsychedelicShaman

PsychedelicShaman MDL Member

Dec 4, 2017
    Looks like that seller redistributes homebrew .iso images from Gen2 instead of original MVS .iso :) I would not buy from those people, i bet the MAK keys are stolen/leaked and it's just illegal business for those ebay sellers.

11. AndyMutz

AndyMutz MDL Senior Member

Jun 30, 2011
    so, after about a week all 50 activations of the key I got are gone.
    since I only used 8 activations, one can be sure that the key was sold to multiple buyers.
    business as usual on ebay..

-andy-

12. KALI MAN

KALI MAN MDL Novice

May 21, 2019
    How to buy
    Windows 10 Enterprise

There are two core Windows 10 Enterprise offers: Windows 10 Enterprise E3 and Windows 10 Enterprise E5. Each of these can be purchased on a per-device or per-user basis, and are only available through Volume Licensing.

Windows 10 Enterprise E3

Windows 10 Enterprise E3 provides access to Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, and includes advanced protection against modern security threats, a broad range of options for operating system deployments and updates, and comprehensive device and application management. Windows 10 Enterprise E3 is available with Software Assurance in some Volume Licensing programs.

Windows 10 Enterprise E5

Windows 10 Enterprise E5 is the newest offer for customers who want to take advantage of everything in E3 with the addition of Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (Windows Defender ATP)—a security service that helps enterprises detect, investigate, and respond to advanced attacks on their networks.

Building on the existing security defenses in Windows 10, Windows Defender ATP provides a post-breach layer of protection to the Windows 10 security stack. With a combination of client technology built into Windows 10 and a robust cloud service, it can help detect threats that have made it past other defenses, provide enterprises with information to investigate the breach across endpoints, and offer response recommendations.
    Software Assurance for Windows

You can license Windows Software Assurance on a per-device or per-user basis. For devices or users that do not qualify for Windows Software Assurance, you can license Windows Virtual Desktop Access (VDA) for access to the benefits of Windows Software Assurance. With Windows Software Assurance and Windows VDA, you get flexible access to Windows Enterprise, plus a number of additional benefits.
    Licensing Windows Software Assurance on a per-device basis

You can license Windows Software Assurance on a per-device basis in the following ways:
    • When you purchase a Windows 10 Enterprise Upgrade license through Volume Licensing, you can also acquire Software Assurance for that license.
    • For devices that do not qualify for Windows Software Assurance (such as thin clients), you can access Windows Software Assurance benefits by purchasing the Windows VDA subscription.
    Licensing Windows Software Assurance on a per-user basis

You can license access to Windows Enterprise on a per-user basis through the Windows 10 Enterprise E3, Windows 10 Enterprise E5, and Windows VDA per User licensing options. These options put your users at the center of your Windows licensing solution, give you flexible options for how you deploy and access Windows across devices, and simplify Windows licensing and management. With per user licensing you can:

• Enable users to access Windows Enterprise across all of their devices.
    • Deliver Windows Enterprise across devices through local install, Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI), or Windows To Go.
    • Gain the simplicity of counting users instead of counting all of their various devices—enabling Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) scenarios eliminates the need to track every device and license.
    For additional help choosing the right per user option, plus more details on the access rights to Windows Enterprise and other benefits of Software Assurance, refer to the Volume Licensing Guide for Windows 10 (PDF, 959 KB).