Windows 10 Imaging, Customization and Deployment

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by arseny92, Jan 31, 2015.

1. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    I did read, appearently you did the first thing wrong. Even if it should work.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    :tooth:

3. LostED

LostED SVF Patch Lover

Jul 30, 2009
  4. Ítalo M.

Ítalo M. MDL Novice

May 2, 2018
    Is there a program to customize only the "boot wim" of Windows 10?

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #747 Enthousiast, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    DISM (or the Winpe(se) projects).

6. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    The different PE projects seem to have their ups and downs from year to year. Currently, the best project seems to be ChrisR's "Win10XPE". It's simpler and quicker to build than its predecessor (the famous Win10PESE that Enthousiast was referring to), but PESE still works fine as well.
    But like I said before, building your own PE still seems to be for the "happy few", it never seems to take off as an MDL hobby :)

7. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    I forgot to ask: What exactly do you want to customize in it?
    If you only want to do some minor adjustment (for example: change PE shell, add some tools), you don't need DISM (saves the time-consuming dism mount/ unmount process), but instead you can run WimLib, using the super fast "wim inject" method.

8. Ítalo M.

Ítalo M. MDL Novice

May 2, 2018
    Add a photo or a name at startup. I'm looking at PEBakery, but I did not understand how to recognize or call the "boot wim" in it.

9. W7U

W7U MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2017
    Hi there,

I plan to create a custom Windows 10 LTSC ISO image that automatically does at least the following:
    • Set a custom Computer Name and Workgroup.
    • Create an additional Administrator account.
    • Disable Microsoft Accounts.
    • Install Mozilla Firefox (and set it as the default).
    • Disable Internet Explorer (but not totally remove it) in case it occasionally becomes useful.
    • Disable certain services, such as the default Windows Update service (in favour of Portable Update or similar program that allows me to pick and choose updates).
    • Install custom Firewall and Group Policy rules.
    • Install custom Registry keys, particularly in relation to tweaks that cannot be accomplished via Group Policy.
    What is the best way to do all this?

Apologies for being new to custom Windows 10 images. I remember building an XP image a long time ago, but I think the procedure has changed a lot since then.

10. MJAINC

MJAINC MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2018

I believe NLITE has those options but i could be wrong. I havent used that for a while. At least a few of those options. you will have to extract entire install.wim from iso and rebuild iso.

11. Zot

Zot MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2015
    Audit Mode is way to go. Without sysprepping in Audit mode most of your goals are possible to achieve using unattend.xml, setupcomplete.cmd with extra reg tweaks. (except installing Firefox). If you wish i can share my files as example. (Audit mode)

12. W7U

W7U MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2017
    Hi there, I am starting to get used to NTlite, but I don't think it hurts to ask if changing some of the settings (Configure > NTLite) will be saved as a custom group policy setting?

If so then that would be a time saver for me. ;)