Windows 10 install advice you give distant friends, relatives; keeping it simple.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by pf100, May 29, 2016.

1. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #1 pf100, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just what I think is the best for the Guy's,which maybe differs from person to person! There isn't a general rule for that because people using their computers for different means etc.!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    id remove hp printers and antivirus.. then after upgrade reinstall driver from the printer manuf site for win10
    but i actually do recommend running first adwcleaner then windows repair from tweaking.com to prevent permissions issues

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Use the Media Creation tool, always create the install media, make a System Image and search the web for methods and fixes to help preserve privacy and mitigate adware and telemetry excesses. If they have no privacy concerns, leave the search part off.

5. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    jesus use MSMG toolkit and remove all the crap crap apps and spyware, including defender with no problems!

6. GreenManalishi

GreenManalishi MDL Novice

May 13, 2016
    I prefer the clean install as well ....it saves 20 gigs of hdd, and getting rid of the recovery partition later. either way Windows10 like 8.1 is pretty picky about drivers, even on newer machines. I;ve noticed it installs generic drivers quite frequently and masks them when you attempt to install the proper driver. unfortunately staying simple is often difficult. my advice... if your machine runs well on 7 or 8.1 they are both excellent systems. It may be less frustrating to pick up a new machine with manufacturer installed win 10. then you'll just have the other (telemetry, buried settings, bugs etc.) to deal with.

7. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    #7 BigW, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
    These two things are mutually excluding each other in IT. Not tech savy peoples can't follow instructions for IT related things. If they could or wanted to be bothered with it, they allready would have searched and followed instructions from the web. It's far easier to bug some distant relative or "friend" to do it for them for free.

The link to the instructions you posted would be giberish or some form of not quiet right english. These instructions ARE for tech savy peoples! Most peoples wouldn't get the preconditions-part of these set of instructions. For them a pc is some form of household applience for watching youtube, surfing the net or play Solitare. They don't grasp the concept of what an OS is and which version they have or what a fresh and clean install is. They only bug you because they are bugged by the computer to update to Windows 10 and you are their goto guy for computer-stuff.

The most you can hope for such people is that they are able to click next, next, next, etc. on the stock upgrade wizard to Windows then MS is providing. For most such peoples the upgrade to Win10 is all they need or want to bother with. No well meant advice or link will get them what they want. They will bug you till you do it for them.

My advice to you: Do the upgrade to Win 10 for these distant friends or relatives yourselve and charge for your time. The real friends and relatives will value your expertese and time and are happy to pay you. The rest only wants you to service their pc for free.

PS: Yes I also prefere a clean install, but you asked about which advice to give to such people.

8. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    I can give them all the advice in the world, but the conversation will always end with the same question.

"When can you come over?"

9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I told you not too, lol :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...