Windows Integration Guide - murphy78

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by murphy78, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    #561 Mr.X, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
    Then if you've notice only a couple updates extra, I believe there's no point to increase the footprint just to obtain only two small updates, they can be downloaded via WU when the user finishes installing the OS.
    Btw I think Windows activation has nothing to do with WU at this stage, right? I mean, the same updates will be downloaded whether activated or not.

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Well... like I said, the ones that are added are tiny so it doesn't really matter.

3. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Windows 7 AIO 32-Bit

murphy78:

In the past I have never had any issues with your Windows 7 SP1 AIO 32-bit installs, but with the last three or four months, all your Windows 7 SP1 32-bit AIO won't install. What really happens, when I boot from the DVD it starts loading, it just freezes, it won't even load the menu screen. If I use the January AIO I have no issues. Can anyone tell me what could be going on?
    Thank You.

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it for every month March, April, May, June and July 2014 AIO.

What happens after I hit RETURN to book from the DVD, it loads the Windows 7 Logo, then it goes to the light blue screen, then it sits there until I reboot. I even tried before I went to bed, and when I got up the next morning, it was still stuck on the light blue screen. Have any idea what is going on? I'm not a programmer, but I do know what I'm doing. My first computer was the Commodore 128 (mid 1980's), then the Amiga 2000, then Amiga 4000. Then I started with a Dell, and after that, I build all my PC's and installed the software. I hope that I don't sound like I'm boasting, but I am NOT a programmer, which you seem like you are a pretty good programmer.

I would appreciate any and the all the help you can provide me.
    Thank You.

:confused: :( :worthy:

4. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    It does a wpeinit.exe call when win7 is started. It then starts networking, in case you need to download offline defender updates in DaRT.
    As far as "why" it's getting hung up on this detection process, I'm not sure. It could be that it doesn't like your hdmi setup. Win7 is pretty old btw.
    I don't think it would explain why it worked previously to March though. That's about when I stopped adding usb3 and networking drivers and just left it as the default win7 driver package.

You might try using an actual dvi cable for your monitor and see if it gets past that hardware detection screen. If it does, you can switch it back later after installing video card drivers.

5. phox

phox MDL Junior Member

Jan 10, 2010
    @murphy78

Have you any plan to publish Win81 x86 and x64 versions with August updates?!

6. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    Interesting :rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Iirc murph was working on them , not sure how he decided to proceed after MS revoked several Updates :g:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Well, not if the August Rollup doesn't get fixed.
    I worked on this for 4 days straight since I was including OEM indexes this month.

While I personally didn't notice any font problems or bsods, they could be related to hardware compatibility problems.
    I have a rule that I never release anything that I wouldn't proudly use on my own system and any family member's system.

9. Y314K

Y314K MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2014
    #569 Y314K, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    Great, Now MS is Fn'g up Murphy78's release schedule. MS should just get out of way & let Murphy78 do his thing.. :weeping:

Murphy78, u still will have Windows 9 for Nov. release right ? :g: Or did MS crapped all over that too... :animatedwink:

10. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I will do win9 when the final version is released. I don't deal with previews or leaked non-rtm builds.
    As far as whether or not I modify it with updates, it depends if MS releases a ton of updates the first month like they've done for win8 and win81.
    I probably won't bother making an AIO until we have all the various versions and MS has released a certain amount of updates.

Also, there's a distinct possibility that they will severely change the kms activation to use white-listing and/or certs. So depending on how much they modify things,
    it might be a better idea to watch for transition deals like they did with win8. Well, I consider it always a good idea to support MS, but their 100 and 200$ price tags are ridiculous.

11. Y314K

Y314K MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2014
    Prior post was meant as a joke but it's great to get good info out of it... :p

I was dumb enough to not activate & let a couple of the free WMC keys expire. Won't be doing that again. Right now i am trying to see how I can buy a few of the $10 WMC keys directly from MS. I think $10 is a fair price for a legit Windows key. :D

Do we know yet if Windows 8.1 keys will get the full & free upgrade to W9 :confused: .

12. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I'm not entirely sure. That would be my speculation, but none of us have seen any actual MS blog post or actual MS-sourced information about that.
    We've only heard a rumor about it from MJF.

13. jazzcat7

jazzcat7 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2014
    I was hoping to do some reading on the Office implementation but it seems this thread is mostly about O/S. Did a search for "office" in the thread with only a few hits.

Is there FAQ info where I can read about Office 2010/2013 licensing, and how the toolkit works?

thanks

14. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    Well... It depends on the OS and/or Office version.
    The important bits are:

• Nobody has cracked Office 2010/2013 Retail activation
    • KMS activation is the only way of activating without stealing someone else's key/activation charge
    • Office 2010 activation is independent of the OS
    • Office 2013 uses the host operating system's KMS protocol if the version is greater or equal to v5.

MTK works by setting up an emulated server in the system's memory. They've gotten it down to the point where an actual virtual machine is not necessary and
    they can simply 'pretend' a server is on the other end of the connection. It's very complicated how they return the successful response. If you want to read more
    about the actual guts of the process you can read the KMS source code thread. I think it should still be up.

Basically the activator sets itself up as if it were the KMS Server and receives the encrypted request.
    It then decrypts the request and finds the data it needs to create a successful response.
    It uses a SALT IV (basically a starting point for a hash), a few relevant data points, and puts things in the correct order with buffer data and such.
    It also encrypts the response. Not all of that stuff happens in that order.

Although it uses TCP/IP, it doesn't actually need to transfer anything over the internet.
    In MTK 2.4.0 and beyond, it actually doesn't even transfer to a virtual machine.
    Depending on the Office version it will set the OSPP to activate to either the localhost (127.x.x.2-254) or some dummy network address in the case of the TAP/tunmirror method (10.3.x.x)
    The 10.3.x.x range stuff is what intranets use and there are ways to copy things from localhost to the 10.3.x.x address (hence the mirror portion).

There is also a windivert option which does a very similar process but using a kernel driver instead of a TAP adapter, but does the same essential thing of bypassing Win8.1's localhost block.
    There is secohook, which is the default option in 2.5.1 and 2.5.2. This option intercepts the sppcomobj iirc and basically cuts out the network stuff and jumps straight to the successful response processing.

In 2010, this stuff was only specific to the Office activation method OSPP.
    In 2013, it depends on the OS. In Win8.0(2012) or greater, it uses the Operating System's KMS protocol.
    In Win7/2008r2 or before, it uses KMS v4 I believe.

I could be mistaken on those details. Office is a little weird in that it doesn't just support a single version.
    Office supports many different kms activation protocols. For instance, Office 2010 can use KMS 1.1 or greater.
    There could be an upward limit. I'm not savvy with some of the more technical aspects of the details.
    I've been using a lot of the stuff, but I didn't do any of the programming. Honestly, I barely understand a lot of that stuff.
    I tend not to delve too much into programming because I have an eye problem that gives me headaches if I spend too much time reading.

It would simply take me too long to get anything done if I had to only program for 30 minutes at a time.
    I used to do it when I was a teenager, but the headaches made me quit.

15. jazzcat7

jazzcat7 MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2014
    That answers all my questions. Thx.
    There's a lot of confusion out there regarding how office activation works. Not sure if you'd want to summarize the above into a few basic points for the TPB links. The fact that the installation doesn't depend on internet access or a server somewhere for validation is a huge revelation to me, maybe it would be stating the obvious to others, I don't know.

16. Captain.Majid

Captain.Majid MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2014
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]I had exported Boot.wim to Boot.esd using dism /compress:Recovery and replaced boot.wim with it in a 8.1 ISO, but it doesn't boot.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Can boot.esd boot, or this format only available to Install.esd ?[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]Another thing is that I have a boot.wim coming form an 8.1 ISO, I just dism/exported index 2 of it and its booting correct both setup and Windows RE.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]What is the need for 2 indices for [/FONT]boot.wim ?

17. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    I don't believe you can boot from an esd. You could try changing the boot lines in the {default} part of the bcd, but I really doubt it would work.

18. quetzalin

quetzalin MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2011
    I'm trying to do an offline update integration on a Win 8.1 Update1 iso and i'm having problems trying to remove a couple of superseded updates.

The updates i'm trying to remove are KB2939471 and KB2949621, they both get superseded by KB2934018. After i integrate KB2934018 i just can't remove with dism the other two because apparently KB2934018 is under Install Pending .

I'm wondering if there is a workaround i can do, i know it is not a big deal but i would like to have a "perfect" wim image :p

19. quetzalin

quetzalin MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2011
    #580 quetzalin, Aug 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017