Windows store error 0x8000ffff on W10 build 1511

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jachin99, Sep 12, 2018.

1. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    I'm toying around with the idea of running Windows 10 build 1511 indefinitely because it is the latest viable option to include WMC in W10. I would like to incorporate some games I have bought into the build but when I try to download most apps (Not all of them), I get error 0x8000ffff when I select things like Minecraft. Things like Movies & TV seem to work but a lot of the stuff I will need doesn't. Is there a known way to fix this?

2. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    #2 pf100, Sep 13, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    Don't use store apps and you'll be fine. This is why I highly recommend not buying games from the store. I'm sure you had your reasons but you need to re-think this and use normal standalone games from GOG or steam or whatever. Hell, if you bought minecraft and can't use it, download it from pirate bay. You already paid for it.

Edit: I forgot to mention that with unsupported versions of windows 10, don't be surprised if the store stops working in the future. I'm not saying it will, just don't be surprised if it does.

3. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    I fully agree with pf100, but this user is running W10 Build 1511....:eek::rolleyes:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. pcnavarra

pcnavarra MDL Senior Member

Nov 13, 2017
    1) Open File Explorer, copy-paste the following path in the explorer address bar and hit Enter:
    C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.WindowsStore_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState
    2) Now, in the Local State folder, check whether the cache folder is present or not. If it is there, rename it to ‘cache.old’. After that, create a new empty folder and name it ‘cache’.
    3) Once you are done with the above step, close the File Explorer and reboot your system. After the reboot, run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter again. This time it will not only detect the problem but also automatically resolve it.
    Restart your system once more and try opening the Windows Store. This method should work even if you have a local account.

5. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    Thanks everyone for the help. I am using this version of Windows on one machine because it is the last version that still runs Windows Media Center correctly, and I won't be using it to surf the web very much. I also have a few content filters setup at my firewall, and I plan to manually install updates (I don't know how well that will work out just yet but I'm giving it a try). For the store apps, I only own two, and I want minecraft in particular, but I have also setup steam games. @macnavarra I tried your suggestion but had no luck. Instead of trying to get the store to work, would it be a better idea to install the games on a fully patched and updated machine, then sideload them onto my 1511 build?

6. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ jachin99 sorry dude, now I undertsand because you use W10 1511

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    No worries, I might just try to find a way to sideload apps. I still have a lot to learn about Windows 10.