Windows Thin PC - Addon Packages

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by MSMG, Jul 15, 2011.

1. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    #1 MSMG, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Hi, though Microsoft has released the trimmed down version of their "Windows Embedded Standard 7" OS called "Windows Thin PC" but they have also locked down the option to add or remove packages or feature. So i have started this thread to share info on how to add or remove packages to the "Thin PC" OS.

Requirements :

1. Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1 Toolkit or Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1 Runtime (IBW) x86 DVD. It can be a retail or the evaluation DVD. You can get the evaluation DVD iso image from microsoft. I think the Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1 Runtime (IBW) x86 DVD is enough.

2. Windows Thin PC DVD.

Package Path Information :

The Feature Packages are stored in the \DS\Packages\FeaturePack folder of Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1 ToolKit / Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1 Runtime (IBW) x86 DVD.

The Non-English Language Packages are stored in the \DS\Packages\LanguagePack folder of Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1 ToolKit or Windows Embedded Standard 7 SP1 IBW DVD.

The English Language Package is stored in the \LangPacks\en-US folder of Thin PC DVD.

I will start with the following packages which are working properly:

1. Premium Codecs for Windows Media Player :
    These Codecs include - Microsoft AC3 Encoder (Dolby), Microsoft DTV-DVD Audio Decoder (MPEG-2, AAC), Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder (MPEG-2, H.264), MPEG-2 Audio and Video Encoder, MPEG Layer-3 Audio Codec (MP3), MPEG-4 Decoders, Windows Media Video Codecs (VC-1). The following packages will install the Premium Codecs for Windows Media Player.

winemb-premiumcodecs-dolby-ac3-audioencoder.cab
    WinEmb-PremiumCodecs-MPEG2andDolbyDecoder.cab
    WinEmb-PremiumCodecs-MPEG2-Decoder.cab
    winemb-premiumcodecs-mpeg2-encoder.cab
    WinEmb-PremiumCodecs-MPEG3.cab
    WinEmb-PremiumCodecs-MPEG4.cab
    winemb-premiumcodecs-wmv.cab

2. Windows Search :
    Enables Search Bar in Windows Explorer and Start Menu Panel. Thanks to "fafhrd" and "100" for the information. The following packages will install the Windows Search.

winemb-natural-language.cab
    winemb-search.cab

3. .NET Framework 3.5 with Client Profile :

Windows Thin PC by defaults comes with .NET Framework 2.0 installed. The following packages will install .NET Framework 3.5 which includes .NET Framework 3.0 & 3.5.

winemb-iis-was.cab
    winemb-netfx30.cab
    winemb-netfx30client.cab
    winemb-netfx35 .cab
    winemb-netfx35client.cab

4. Windows DVD Maker :
    The following packages will install Windows DVD Maker.

winemb-dvdburning.cab
    winemb-imapiv2.cab

5. Windows ISO Burner (Image Mastering API V2) :
    The following Package will install Windows in-built CD/DVD ISO Burner.

winemb-imapiv2.cab

6. Windows Media Center :
    The following packages will install Windows Media Center.

winemb-mediacenter.cab

7. Windows Photo Viewer :
    The following packages will install Windows Photo Viewer.

winemb-photos-viewer.cab

8. Speech and Text with Speech US English Pack :

The following packages will install and enable the Speech and Text with Speech US English Language Pack. If you want a different Speech Language Pack then you can replace the US pack with the other one's.

winemb-speech.cab
    WinEmb-Speech-LP-ENG.cab

9. Windows Defender :
    The following packages will install Windows Defender the AntiMalware Security tool.

winemb-antimalware.cab

10. Fax and Scan :
    The following packages will install Windows Fax and Scan.

winemb-fax-scan.cab

11. Mobility Center and SideShow :
    The following packages will install Mobility Center and SideShow.

winemb-mobilepc.cab

12. Tablet PC Support :
    This package includes support for touch-screen interfaces through both single and multiple touch points. Support for pen input is also provided. It will also install Windows Snipping Tool, Sticky Notes.

winemb-tablet.cab

13. Windows Backup and Restore
    This package includes the Windows Backup and System Restore features.

WinEmb-BackupRestore.cab

Feature Packages Installtion Procedure :

There are two ways to install or add the required Feature Package to the Thin PC.

- Online Method (Installing on an insalled Thin PC OS)
    - Offline Method (Integrating with the Thin PC DVD)

Online Method :

1. Create two folders in C: drive named FeaturePack and LangPack

2. Copy the required Feature Package files to the folder C:\FeaturePack

3. Copy the required Language Package files to the folder C:\LangPack

4. Open a command prompt window with Administrator privileges and run the following commands

Code:
    Dism.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\FeaturePack /NoRestart
    Dism.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\LangPack
    5. When it asks you to restart the PC press 'Y'.

6. Finished.

Offline Method (Integrating Method) :

1. Create three folders in C: drive named ThinPC, ThinMnt, FeaturePack

2. Copy the contents of the Thin PC DVD to the folder C:\ThinPC

3. Copy the required Feature Package files to the folder C:\FeaturePack

4. Open a command prompt window with Administrator privileges and run the following commands

Code:
    Dism.exe /Mount-Wim /WimFile:C:\ThinPC\sources\install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:C:\ThinMnt
    Dism /Image:C:\ThinMnt /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\FeaturePack
    Dism.exe /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:C:\ThinMnt /commit

5. Either make an bootable ISO of the C:\ThinPC folder or copy the contents of the folder C:\ThinPC to a USB bootable Flash Drive and install from it.

6. Finished.

Will post more information on adding features when they are working properly. :)

2. TheMinister

TheMinister MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2010
    Thanks for the info on how to install the premium codecs for Windows Media Player. Is it possible to install Media Center in the same way?

3. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Yes you can install Media center by adding the package file winemb-mediacenter.cab. Read the first post, I have updated the info. I think the best way to add the features is by integrating the required packages to the install.wim image file and then install the OS. It works perfectly. :)

4. bbqathon

bbqathon MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2011
    Great info, thank you very much!
    Loving Thin PC.

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Posted in another Thread, really good list!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. noyod

noyod MDL Member

Jul 19, 2009
    It would certainly help to provide actual download locations for these fragments than just giving info, otherwise one is forced to download the entire embedded iso. Possible? :tasty:

7. new_hack

new_hack MDL Member

Mar 31, 2011
    any link for download, thanks,bcoz i don't have that dvd

8. ireneuszp

ireneuszp MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2009
    Windows Embedded Standard 7 Service Pack 1 Evaluation Edition
    h t t p ://www*microsoft*com/download/en/details*aspx?id=11887

or via ftp f t p ://softorion*ru/Soft/
    f t p ://softorion*ru/Soft/en_windows_embedded_standard_7_sp1_runtime_x86_dvd_651894*iso
    f t p ://softorion*ru/Soft/en_windows_embedded_standard_7_sp1_runtime_x64_dvd_651894*iso

Windows Thin PC (WinTPC) Download link
    h t t p ://forums*mydigitallife*info/threads/27719-Windows-Thin-PC-%28WinTPC%29-Download-link

replace * with . and remove space

;)

9. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. bbqathon

bbqathon MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2011
    Can anyone confirm Photo Viewer is working after installing the package? Doesn't seem to actually open the images for me. The process briefly appears in the taskmanager and then... nothing.

11. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Well as i have said in the first post, if you install the packages on an existing Thin PC installation, it won't work. you need to integrate the Photo Viewer package to the install.wim image file and then install the ThinPC OS. It works perfectly :)

12. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Thanks for the info. :)

13. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Well, the entire Feature Package folder is around 600MB. sorry i can't provide links to the download, as this is my first thread/post and so i don't have the permission to post the links for download.

14. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    check the post by "ireneuszp" he has posted the links, you just download the Windows Embedded Standard 7 Service Pack 1 Runtime (IBW) x86 DVD, that's enough and read the first post for the instruction.

15. bbqathon

bbqathon MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2011
    Yep, but there's no note (afaict) which ones do or don't work on an already installed OS, so I was unsure whether or not that one required it. Search works fine, for example, but that one didn't.

16. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Have you re-added the language pack after a package installation? Adding packages to an existing installation should work just fine.

17. bbqathon

bbqathon MDL Novice

Jul 9, 2011
    Just tried it again adding the language pack right after photo viewer and... it worked! Saved me a reinstall and I have now captured my fully working "custom" copy to .wim for future use too. Much appreciated!

18. 100

100 MDL Expert

May 17, 2011
    Yup, feature packages usually only contain the language-neutral binaries, but they also need the localized resources that are contained in the language packs. To keep the installation size smaller, installing a language pack does not actually install all of the localized resources it contains, but only those that are actually needed by packages installed at that time. This is why you need to reinstall the language packs after adding additional packages.

19. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    Ok, will make the changes to reflect which packages does work on an existing thin pc installtion :)

20. MSMG

MSMG MDL Developer

Jul 15, 2011
    No, i haven't re-added the language pack after a package installtion.. I feel since already the language pack is installed, it may skip the language pack installation.. anyway will try it out and reply :)