Windows Update Manager

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by DavidXanatos, Aug 16, 2018.

Worked.. thank you. :)
    Capture.PNG

1. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos MDL Senior Member

May 23, 2010
    I think I solved the issue with the list separator collapsing strange thing in a debug build it works fine, release build on my 10 VM's as well but on my win 7 host the release builds crashed.
    can you test the attached build if it works fine for you.

Attached Files:

2. WuMgr_v0.6b2 is working fine in my w10 1803 x86

btw on another subjest, I tested 'restrict access to wu servers' with not hidden wu page and after restart (not sure if restart is required) i clicked on check for updates on wu page in settings and it started downloading updates,,,,(if this can download updates then those hidden hijackers can definitely download) ,, and at the same time wumgr is showing error cant update because restricted update or something.

so i guess this option is not helping.
    but wumgr needs a proper way to block updates because i guess whole point of using wumgr is ability of manual update and auto updates defeats the point of wumgr. and if this tool can't manage to stop auto update then this tool is not achieving its motive.

3. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    Tested 6b2 on Windows 7 in virtual box and it worked (failed with 6). I tested with the wrapper script and to prevent a command prompt from briefly flashing i just inserted a @echo off in the close.cmd.

4. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    The way this works is a bit convoluted...
    The restriction GPO only affects the search for updates not the download of already found updates.
    So when you delete your %windir%\SoftwareDistribution folder and enable the restriction GPO, clicking on check updates in the settings page will result in an error.
    If you however had some updates found and waiting to be installed clicking on the button will result in them being downloaded and installed.

In WuMgr, this looks like this, with the restriction GPO enabled you can find updates only when doing an offline search but you can still download the update files and install them.

5. Thanks for making it clear. i did as you told (deleted the folder/files inside %windir%\SoftwareDistribution using lockhunter program) and clicked search on wu page and it showed error, i guess that is the proper way...
    this leads to other ques,
    can 'restrict access to update server' option work in real time to disable or enable it?(or restart is required)
    if it can work in real time then i guess users can simply disable it when want to update with wumgr in non offline mode and after update simply enable it?
    another ques, what happens if you have properly enable restrict wu access option and after that you disabled it with wumgr and searched in non offline mode and without installing updates you simply just enabled that option again. now %windir%\SoftwareDistribution have those found updates and any scheduled update task can simply auto update those found updates?

6. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    > can 'restrict access to update server' option work in real time to disable or enable it?(or restart is required)
    According to my tests you need to restart wuauserv (<ou can do that from the tools menu) for the setting to take effect

> another ques, what happens if you have properly enable restrict wu access option and after that you disabled it with wumgr and searched in non offline mode and without installing updates you simply just enabled that option again.
    IIRC searching online with WuMgr is not being "remembered" by windows update. so this should be fine.

7. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Some users were asking for a translation of the UI, would it be enough to translate everything except the log?

8. rpo

rpo MDL Expert

Jan 3, 2010
    The log is mainly usefull for you, so translating it can be avoided.

9. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    That just removes the text from the command prompt that flashes. The code I posted previously hides the command prompt but it wouldn't run with -onclose. I haven't had time today to try the new WuMgr updates yet so this may not be an issue anymore.
    Matthew Wai at Tenforums knows Chinese and VBscript and I showed him the problem area of the task creation code. He's going to try to make it work in an Asian path name, so I'll let you know more details later. And I'm hijacking this thread so I'll stop now.

10. Wolfens

Wolfens MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2018
    #212 Wolfens, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    here is win 7x64 for 0.6 0.6b 0.6b2
    Code:
    wumgr.exe
    Starting...
    LOG: Update Manager for Windows, Version v0.6 by David Xanatos
    LOG: This Tool is Open Source under the GNU General Public License, Version 3

LOG: Windows Update Agent Version: 6.0 (7.6.7601.24085)
    Update Services:
    Windows Update: 9482f4b4-e343-43b6-b170-9a65bc822c77
    Microsoft Update: 7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d
    cd ..\WuMgr_v0.6b
    wumgr.exe
    Starting...
    LOG: Update Manager for Windows, Version v0.6b by David Xanatos

Update Services:
    LOG: Loading 377 Updates
    cd ..\WuMgr_v0.6b2
    wumgr.exe
    Starting...
    LOG: Update Manager for Windows, Version v0.6b by David Xanatos

Update Services:
    I do like the clean code, noticed a spelling mistake in WuMgr.cs line 458
    Code:
                                    State += " Manatory";
    missing a d just my OCD kicking in, no biggie...more important to concentrate on the functional operation.

11. @DavidXanatos
    I tested 'Restrict access to WU Servers' option in a fresh installed windows 10 1803 x86 Home.
    I enabled that option and disabled enabled update service using your tool option for it to take full effect + restart.
    after that connected to internet and checked for updates in wumgr while 'Restrict access to WU Servers' enabled and it showed me available updates.
    It shouldn't. I guess this option is not working in Home edition.
    ----------------------
    and GPO option to configure updates was available in Home edition (not sure if it should show gpo option since gpo is not present in home edition
    and Hide wu page option was greyed out in home edition (it shouldn't ?)
    ----------------------
    Tools option in wumgr is at the unexpected place, took me a while where that option is, pls shift it to more appropriate location.
    ----------------------
    'Restrict access to WU Servers' option takes some additional steps to fully implement it, i suggest to automate the whole steps. e.g. first disable wuauserv and then delete the found updates in %windir%\SoftwareDistribution if there are any but still it doesn't delete the update history (idk how it can be done) and then apply the 'Restrict access to WU Servers' and then set wuauserv as it were before. i guess that is the proper way of implementing it.
    ----------------------
    'Restrict access to WU Servers' option + online updates can be used in wumgr, e.g. just disable 'Restrict access to WU Servers' option then search and install updates and then enable that option again.
    but in meanwhile updating, if any update scheduled task trigger itself then that can be a problem, it needs to be addressed.
    ----------------------
    You have told me one time about offline, online updates but frankly i still don't understand it well.
    I understand that in offline update, wumgr can also search for msi office updates, other than that i don't know what is the benefit.
    with online update i can search for all windows update and driver as i'm aware , don't understand quite why i may need offline update
    ----------------------
    when 'Restrict access to WU Servers' option is enabled and i search updates in wumgr then sometime it shows this error ""Error 0x80072EE6: Unknown Error: 2147954406""" but sometime it shows update is restricted... something.
    ----------------------
    Its time wumgr needs a proper documentation of how and what it does. its important because many users don't understand its option, e.g. i don't know what 'Register Microsoft Update' does.
    i'll post some suggestion later how to make wumgr inexperienced users friendly.
    ----------------------

12. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    I fixed the windows 10 version detection.
    now the restrict GPO option is not longer available on Home since it seams, as you said, on home even this is ignored.

Attached Files:

13. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I just tried running WuMgr_v0.6c with this command:
    Code:
    wumgr.exe -update -online 7971f918-a847-4430-9279-4a52d1efe18d -onclose close.cmd
    No more command prompt popup when WuMgr is closed. Nice job @DavidXanatos!

14. tracit99

tracit99 MDL Senior Member

Oct 17, 2014
    I have just downloaded 0.6c and installed it. So far it has worked flawlessly. Great work David.

15. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    Wumgr on win 10 Ent/Edu and Pro can not perform online update search if the Restriction GPO is enabled, so it must do an "offline" search once it found some updates it can download them from M$ despite that GPO. Also on win 10 home you may block WU with a firewall than you will need offline update as well.
    Wumgr can "Manually" that is not using any windows service download the found update files to its working directory, later it will also be able to install those through calling the appropriate install routines.

So to sum up you need offline search whenever you have blocked WU from talking to M$.

BTW: register Microsoft updates enables WuMgr to search online for office updates (and other M$ products).

Cheers
    David X.

16. #218 Deleted member 1032214, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2018
    Thanks David for explaining it very well.
    After understanding all the options, i've personally come to this conclusion,

If i use Enable and disable method 'Restrict access to WU Servers' in wumgr with online updates, then it can be problematic because windows task regarding update might kick in while i'm updating with wumgr. so its not a good option.

its a good option if i use 'Restrict access to WU Servers' with offline updates, but it require using 300 MB file which i can't use because i'm low on bandwidth. so this option is not for me.

next option is, i use another method to block updates which doesn't need to disable update service such as stopwinupdates by baltagy with online mode in wumgr, now i don't have to worry about forced updates and additional 300 mb file in offline mode and i can do manual update any time i want by directly running wumgr without any precaution. this looks like a good plan.

or David can integrate another method to disable auto updates, so wumgr can be all in one solution for the manual updates in all windows editions (including home) .

17. DavidXanatos

May 23, 2010
    I haven't tested it on windows editions other than enterprise but according to my findings: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-update-manager.77736/page-5#post-1460801
    it only sets some GPO registry keys and disables UsoSvc and WaaSMedicSvc services.

Now I haven't looked on the exact mechanism of windows 10 booth services do not exist in win 7/8 and wuauserv does all including the automated search for updates.
    If in 10 UsoSvc is responsible for the Automatic update and wuauserv behaves passively that would be great.

@ShiningDog
    Can you confirm that stopwinupdates is effective on Pro or Home editions?

If so that I could add disabling of UsoSvc and WaaSMedicSvc to WuMgr as a remedy for Home users and additional layer of protection for Pro users.

I've been using stopwinupdates from some months on one of my system and family members on w10 pro edition and have been checking background data uses and i can definitely say its effective and does what it promises.
    although i haven't tested it thoroughly on home edition so i can't say if its effective on home or not, but i can run test, besides author claimed it work on home and no one have said otherwise so i guess it works?
    but there are also some problem with it. On w10 1607 (LTSB) + cu applied, tool breaks wu page in settings and you can't hide that page in 1607 but in later windows it works fine. also if i remember correctly there were some wu page random crashing issue in later windows when author didn't applied wu page hiding, later he hide it then there were no crashing.
    you have to test this method which you are planning to apply, is crashing wu page 1607 + cu or not, if its not crashing then you are missing something.