WindSLIC UEFI SLIC injector

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by nononsence, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Krinal

Krinal MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2018
    @Enthousiast are you there, if then please reply if any installer is available as I don't know much about this project.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I can't find an installer download on mdl atm, but the github link at the op seems to be alive.

3. Krinal

Krinal MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2018
    Yes but it downloads some kind of script and not an installer as suggested in first post.

4. baddles

baddles MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2019
    #924 baddles, Mar 25, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    Hi, I'm new here and I don't know if this is a good place to ask, but I see that in a windslic.efi file, you would be able to take in 2 arguments while installing, one for windslic path and one for .bin path.
    May I ask where is it in the source code that takes these 2 arguments in?
    The reason I'm asking is because I would like to add a 3rd argument alongside that specifies the location of BootMgfw.efi.

5. sysszm

sysszm MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2015
    thank you,sir!

6. sysszm

sysszm MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2015
    but,where is installer?

7. agus_generatio

agus_generatio MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2012
    It works! Tried Windows Vista UEFI on Vmware 15.5.6. Thanks!

8. Oakie92

Oakie92 MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2020
    How do I activate Win 7 Ultimate on VMware 1.15.5.x

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Use DAZ' Windows Loader.

10. skirklan

skirklan MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2011
    #930 skirklan, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    It's been a hot minute. Apparently I never noticed (or had turned off notifications). I'd ran into this exact issue that day or shortly before and the result was that it didn't work. I can't realistically recall the what or the why but I had used the cli way previously and it not working that once was clearly an isolated event.

Just a few minutes ago, before reading on to the next post, I even reread what I wrote and immediately recalled a recent tool I'd read (or at least I thought I had) about that follows the same or similar digital upgrade method but without requiring the gatherosstate and wonder how that could be if what I'd wrote, this long ago, wasn't incorrect. Anyhow, point is thanks for the save. It's late, I'm tired, I'm not yet done trying to read all the things I wanted to read today(now yesterday I guess) and somehow lose the ability to make a concise comment.

EDIT: the longer I think about it, I feel like I'm remember just using an older install image to have it work. Could be I wasn't using the correct channel with that image.

11. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
  12. Robert Dack

Robert Dack MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2017
    After searching lot here how can i activate my Windows 7 with UEFI on MSI B550i motherboard, I found BustyLoli-Chan' guide. It did not worked, did not activated my Windows. The only unclear thing was the 4. point,

"4. Download and unzip it. Pick any cert and slic AS LONG AS THEY MATCH (it must be the matching cert and .bin file from the same folder I.E. the .bin and the cert from say the "ASUS\2.1\" folder) I personally picked the dell 2.2 just for the hell of it, because I have had to piece together half ass directions to this point, and already grabbed it from somewhere earlier in this thread"

But I think i completed this point well too.

So Is there any way to activate Windows 7 installed in UEFI? Windows loader V2.2.2 says Unsopperted partition table. But come on, cannot we activate a 10years old OS?

13. NoTears

NoTears MDL Member

Aug 24, 2020
    Daz loader injects Slic table into acpi memory for MBR disks but not for GPT disks so to be able to use it you will need to use Windslic to inject SLic in the efi partition and this way you will be able to use Daz tool for the activation as it will install both certificate and key or you can choose to use kms tools for the activation.

So first option and it's the easy one , if you have win7 pro, enterprise, you can use kms tools for activation as KMS_VL_ALL.
    Second option and it will take some extra work, it consits of injecting Windslic into the efi partition.

If you decide to choose 2nd option, here are the all the necessary steps that you need to follow to get this work => here

If you follow exactly these steps, it will work. I managed to inject windslic successfully in the efi table by following these steps and after that activation succeeds.

If you don't manage to make this work using WindSlic, let me know and i will help you.

14. Robert Dack

Robert Dack MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2017

I really appreciate your help. I went with option 2 and I failed here, picture attached to be informative, what i did so far. Could you guide further, please?

Attached Files:

15. For me i copy cert also to WindSlic directory & command i use as folows

cscript //nologo %SystemRoot%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ilc V:\EFI\WindSLIC\gigabyte.xrm-ms

it succeed in my scenario . i have a batch script to do all the commands till reboot since create WindSLIC directory inside EFI then copy all 4 files to it using xcopy <source> <destination> /E /I /Y till reboot.
    lastly after reboot i have to command

cscript //nologo %SystemRoot%\System32\slmgr.vbs /ato

& yea it got activated permanently ;)

16. NoTears

NoTears MDL Member

Aug 24, 2020
    #936 NoTears, Nov 25, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    You need to use the same brand certificate than the slic you put into the efi partition

For example : if the slic you choose is Lenovo, the certificate has to be Lenovo too.

And make sure you put the cert in the right folder before entering the correct comman line.

Also make sure that you give the same certificate name either in the specific folder and in the comman line that you will execute to install the certificate.

But logically if you applied the steps from 1 to 16 successfully , that would mean that the slic has been integrated successfully into the efi partition and then Daz loader should now work as it should find the slic then add cert and key and the activation should succed after that.

17. Robert Dack

Robert Dack MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2017
    And Daz loader works :), I did not expected, thank you :)!

18. NoTears

NoTears MDL Member

Aug 24, 2020
    Glad to hear.

But just out of curiosity, did you use the same cert brand as the slic ?

I think that the error message you received when trying to install the cert through command line was from not using the same cert and slic brand.

I saw that the cert you choose is from MSI brand so the slic has to be from MSI too which it has not been done apparently.

19. PBo34

PBo34 MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2020
    Thanks to you all!
    I could re-activate Windows 7 ultimate after migrating it to a new UEFI motherboard (MSI X470, Ryzen 2700x), using WindSLIC.msdm.efi downloaded from MEGA, 25/12/2013 (version "Merry Christmas!").
    Having recurrently error messages like "ERROR : Open bin File : Invalid parameter", with or without parameters, I looked at the source. There seems to be problems in the arguments parsing.
    I don't have visual C++ installed to change and recompile the program, so I formatted the arguments to match what is expected by the code.
    The arguments parsing apparently start by skipping one argument (found suggestion upper in the thread to add "foo" before the bin file parameter) and terminate with a space and a null character (I don't know if it's something strange in the MSI software or a bug in the program).
    I used EasyUEFI to build a menu entry for WindSLIC. EasyUEFI allows to give the WindSLIC program the arguments in a bin file instead of putting them on the command line. So I made bin files formatting accordingly to the programs expectations using HxD hexadecimal editor.
    WindSLIC can be called from the UEFI menu in 2 possible ways:
    1. either with arguments : (copy-paste this into a hexadecimal editor to make the parameters bin file to use in EasyUEFI)
    66 00 6F 00 6F 00 20 00 5C 00 45 00 46 00 49 00 5C 00 57 00 69 00 6E 00 64 00 53 00 4C 00 49 00 43 00 5C 00 73 00 6C 00 69 00 63 00 2E 00 62 00 69 00 6E 00 20 00 5C 00 45 00 46 00 49 00 5C 00 57 00 69 00 6E 00 64 00 53 00 4C 00 49 00 43 00 5C 00 6B 00 65 00 79 00 2E 00 74 00 78 00 74 00 20 00 00 00
    which is equivalent to
    "foo \EFI\WindSLIC\slic.bin \EFI\WindSLIC\key.txt �"
    2. If no argument is given, WindSLIC uses by default a Dell SLIC. I made it work with this arguments file:
    66 00 6F 00 6F 00 20 00 00 00 20 00 00 00
    foo � �
    I have found SLIC toolkit very useful to check which SLIC table was loaded.
    I don't know if I missed something, if there is a simpler solution. This is fair enough for me and I wanted to share the fact that WindSLIC still works fine and say thank you Tito and all!

20. PBo34

PBo34 MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2020
    I must add that unfortunately, I was unable to locate a compiled version of the most recent code, and I don't like the idea of installing a 30GB compiler on my systems disk.