Sledgehammer - Windows 10 Update Control

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by pf100, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Wolfzz

Wolfzz MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2015
    Only just starting happening
    Searching for updates: Succeeded with errors
    Happens with both WUMT Wrapper Script v2.5.3 And v2.5.4
    I'm on Win10 1803

2. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I just now checked for updates with 2.5.4 and I installed KB2538243 and a defender update with no problems on LTSB. No updates were available on 1809. I don't have an 1803 install anymore but there's no reason it shouldn't work. Your problem may be on MSFT's end, so maybe wait a while and try again.

3. Alfonico

Alfonico MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2018
    Continuing the saga of the Microsoft office 2016 updates.
    No solution through WUMT as Office 2016 (as well as 2013 and 2010), for some installations (not all of them why make things simple if they can be made complicated), the update process is independent of the standard settings WU, but seems to require WU service to be switched ON. Additionally, there are gazillions reasons for the updates to fail, all giving the same error code (thanks Microsoft). I will try to solve the possible issues that are independent of WUMT script before checking again if the script is actually interfering with the updates.
    I am more and more considering going back to Windows 7 and Office 2007.....

4. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    @Alfonico Yes, let me know what you find. I don't use office 2016 and never plan to. I prefer office 2003, 2010 (which have no problem updating through the script), and libreoffice. I just don't see the point in using newer versions of office. They add no features that interest me.

5. app_raiser

app_raiser MDL Junior Member

Mar 18, 2018
    #825 app_raiser, Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    because this is pure truth - two more suggestions:

desktopeditors

softmaker freeoffice (grab as many licences you need with fantasy id and tenminutemail ;-)

both are more compatible to microslop formats than libreoffice (desktopeditors is what i prefer)

migration of my windows to were it belongs - banned in a vm under linux - is complete! even remoting works! never ever i will use this crap s**tware on my holy personal computer online again - NEVER! may microsoft get firestormed or hit by two airplanes accidentaly! i help em!!!! they deserve it, they worked hard for it!! they asked for it, they should have it! i'm absolutely pissed off for the rest of my life - but it became less urgent now! 8 years... i fix what these damn americans break continously

6. Alfonico

Alfonico MDL Novice

Oct 1, 2018
    pf100. Hello.
    This is what I understand from my research.
    Office 2010 to 2016 have at least two installation methods. One of them is called "click to run" (for "run away from Microsoft" ? :)).
    The "click to run" versions don't update through WU: they have their own update system.
    It is easy to disable it directly from the office programs.
    Therefore in my case, this is entirely out of the hands of WUMT script: nothing you can do about it.
    Thanks for your patience.

7. app_raiser

Mar 18, 2018
  8. nghiabros

nghiabros MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2015
    #828 nghiabros, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    I fixed my issue. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. nghiabros

nghiabros MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I noticed you said here that you fixed your issue. How exactly? Am I correct in assuming that Total Commander prevents the script from working? Any other information you can give me? Thanks.

11. app_raiser

Mar 18, 2018
    ignoring the fact that there seem to be very very few updates for 17763 winblows, i currently use 17763.107 on work pc and laptop. i wiped it with anger and joy from my private PC :)

to contol the install activities (so i hope) i just takeowned the usoclient.exe and run my ANTI-WUSA self developed scripts on a daily basis. the never ending story of the "sheduled scan" for windblows updates seems to be effective disabled by disabling almost every task with a little help from execTI / powerrun / nsudo (and then running directly the taskshed.msc in author mode or autoruns64)...

i really enjoy reading the event logs of my private pc jelling out it could not reach microslop / outlook / azure / akamai servers to infect the machine.inf with some more winblows improvements (updates). after a time i feel well with this solution - hold the pc offline, use linux on laptop with windows 1607.2339 (i updated it manual) in VM which gets some internet from time to time ;-)

because the countless issues i had to solve (printers........ printers... feature updates..) i currently not use WUMT on any machine. i'm looking forward to official release of the redstone number 5 and then will use the script again widespread!

greetings!

12. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    Have you tried disabling the Update Orchestrator tasks in 1809 as TrustedInstaller? If so, any luck? I did it in a VM and it locked me out of Task Scheduler. I mean, I don't need to disable the tasks anyway since I remove system access to the files the Update Orchestrator tasks try to run so I really don't care about the tasks anyway, but it would be interesting to hear a success story with disabling those tasks. I enjoy watching the tasks I leave enabled fail so I know what you mean about enjoying those failed hijacker errors in the firewall. When you say you're not currently using WUMT because of printer and feature update errors, could you go into more detail about that? Also, would you mind sharing your anti-wusa scripts with me?

13. nghiabros

nghiabros MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2015
    I don't know the exact reason. When I was using TC the software to move the folder I had extracted on D:\ to C:\Program Files (x86)\, I had an empty folder. So, my solution is that I have to use File Explorer to move the folder to C:\
    Btw, when I attempt to do the same to C:\Program Files (x86)\ by using FE, I have got the same empty folder.

14. app_raiser

Mar 18, 2018
    #835 app_raiser, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    i simply cannot use it because i need easy access to windows update. for dumb reasons they begin to spread their new handling of printers on all windows machines, not only on octobre update.

i use (needed) simple but specialized scripts, for daily "tasks", to stop windows updates that are already running for example, not to takeown the whole service :)

some parts of the scripts i found here, most of my "wusa" scripts i had to use my mind to create them. my scripts to speed up every machines ssd usage, effective on every single pc or laptop are more interesting, my opinion ^^ but belongs to another thread

so here the most important are (to stop wu to manually install an update or feature update f.e.)

wusa stop

sc config TrustedInstaller start= demand
    sc config wuauserv start= demand
    sc config BITS start= demand
    net stop TrustedInstaller
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop BITS
    net stop appidsvc
    net stop cryptsvc

wusa disable

taskkill /IM TrustedInstaller /T /F
    net stop TrustedInstaller
    net stop wuauserv
    net stop BITS
    net stop appidsvc
    net stop cryptsvc
    sc config TrustedInstaller start= disabled
    sc config wuauserv start= disabled
    sc config BITS start= disabled

wusa tasks disable

schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AUFirmwareInstall" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AUScheduledInstall" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AUSessionConnect" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Scheduled Start With Network" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\sih" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\sihboot" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\Automatic App Update" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Schedule Scan" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Policy Install" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Refresh Settings" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Resume on Boot" /Disable
    schtasks /Change /TN "Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Maintenance Install" /Disable
    this should answer your question whether i could disable UO without causing winblows to revoke my rights handle some specific tasks (i deleted compattelrunner.exe some weeks ago, which caused my pc to shut down immediately ;-) - i know what winblows is doing without the need to dig in that crazy anymore :)

15. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    If you delete wub.exe from my script folder the Windows Update service will always stay on.
    Using schtasks from an admin command prompt won't disable Update Orchestrator tasks in 1809.

16. Ahsan

Ahsan MDL Addicted

Dec 3, 2009
    i am using 2.5.3 and running windows 17763.104 it is working smooth and fine...

who says 2.5.3 does not work with 1809?

btw will 2.5.3 work on LTSC 2019 ?

17. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    2.5.3 only renames the update hijacker files in 1809. An update can then restore them. I would highly suggest uninstalling 2.5.3 first, then use 2.5.4 on 1809. Yes, 2.5.3 works on 1809 but it's only by luck that it does. 2.5.4 is designed to work on 1809 by disabling system access to the update hijacker files, just like 2.5.3 does on 1803 and earlier. They changed 1809 in a way that I have to remove permissions to update hijacker files as TrustedInstaller, and only 2.5.4 can do that.
    In the OP, I stated:
    "Uninstall 2.5.3 before installing or running 2.5.4 if you're running 1809 or your update hijacker files will not be locked!
    You'll know if you made a mistake by searching for "*.*-backup" in the \Windows\System32 folder and you find any "-backup" files.
    If you do, just run the 2.5.3 or 2.5.4 uninstaller to uninstall the script, then install and/or run 2.5.4 script again and you'll be okay.
    No damage will be done to any system files if you make a mistake, they just won't be locked like they should be."

18. Ahsan

Ahsan MDL Addicted

Dec 3, 2009
    Thanks.
    i uninstalled 2.5.3 and installed the 2.5.4 by running the script file.