2. HDD make FREEZE OF LAPTOP

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by HrVr000, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Same model and it works.
    Definitely not a BIOS issue then!!!!

Change cords and use the same caddy. Which one is it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There isn't any cord (cable)! The HDD is placed in the caddy directly on the SATA/Power connector, the Caddy is exchanged with the DVD inside the Laptop! Just open 1 screw, take out DVD, place Caddy in, place screw and start. If AHCI is enabled, can change DVD and Caddy on the running Laptop, if not, a restart is mandatory.

The problem the OP has maybe is about bad contacts (air moisture etc.), which could be solved with a good Contact Cleaner like Kontakt61, which I mainly use, or CRC or another good one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i had the similar issue 2 generic caddies didnt work yet i tested those in a dell and worked fine, then i got a third caddy that specified T410 and that one worked.

4. HrVr000

HrVr000 MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2016
    #24 HrVr000, Aug 14, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    (OP)
    Guys it it not caddy as I say caddy work fine on other laptops and BY THE WAY I DON't USE CADDY UNTILL I get it working.... I USE sata cabel directly to sata conector on motherboard and yes laptop is disassembled... and yes connection is good cable is good..

TO Pisthai ,
    can you see which motherboard you have ZQ2 or ZR8? you can see that on sticker on bottom where writes like acer aspire
    Model No. my is ZR8A (motherboard ZR8 revision E)
    to your replay to bad connection, my connection between pins on motherboard and connection on Connector for HDD have 0.1 Ohm that is far enough good to send data without practically any losses.

and I notice that hot plug dosen't work on some laptops runing w10 ,(blue screen of death) linux works fine

5. HrVr000

HrVr000 MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2016
    Guy Psuturtle on other forum for this error Strongrom version build _P can be as he say "The message you're getting during POST is telling me that you might be running out of ROM space due to the addition of the new controller. You can try going into BIOS to disable some items that you might not be using (such as PXE boot and the second LAN controller). This should free up some space and hopefully allow the card to fully initialize." I will try disable all possible things in bios and see?

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #26 pisthai, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #27 Yen, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
    ROM space???
    One of the first jobs of the BIOS is to copy and decompress the BIOS code into RAM actually low memory which will become writeprotected after POST, and it executes from there.

You can try that, but IMHO makes less sense. The main BIOS is mapped to static addresses @low memory and each mapped (op)rom has usually its own address. It could be that there is overhead of received message of the controller, but that would mean one of the HDDs would not boot at all...it is most likely a hardware/hw combination issue, not a BIOS issue.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Why doesn't the OP just get a different caddy and see if that will work?
    Sounds to me that there is some kinda incompatibility for the caddy he's trying to use, just go to a pc shop and have them test with another brand caddy

9. HrVr000

HrVr000 MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2016
    TO Joe C
    Thanks on your replay. Yeah I have that kind of SATA cable male-female sata cable but without this "supporters" on side where mail connector is... ;)
    images.maplinmedia*co.uk/sata-male-to-female-extension-cable-30cm.jpg?w=283&h=283&r=4&o=nk9i7nvYiz7ZSok$Mf6GyODvn5Mj&V=yha8
    I never say that is sata and power cable converter or something like that...But normal male-female cabels they exists

2 hdd He have good connection and enough power...

OK so botom of the Line this is faulty SB or NB ?

TO Yen
    Yeah I think that too, as it was lite strange as I read his post and I think that bios is storing new controller data in ROM of the actual bios image but is not.

10. HrVr000

HrVr000 MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2016
    #30 HrVr000, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
    (OP)
    TO Pisthai
    Here you can get converter cable if you need converter cable to use it for like 9 bucks so :rolleyes:
    microsatacables*com/slimline-13-pin-sata-male-to-22-pin-sata-female-cable-adapteriii-adpc22pfwv13pm-iii

I just use SATA cable because I want exclude power rail issue as someone suggested....

and to all people who replace caddy with hdd and they need CD/DVD drive CHEAP option is simply buy "SLIMLINE SATA 13 Pin to USB Converter Cable" they are like 2-3 bucks,
    so there you go you have external cd/DVD drive although he will not be pretty as USB CD/DVD drive for 20 bucks but if you short on money or you simply don't care about esthetic because you use cd dvd like one in half year it will do for you

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I have not said anything about your sata cable/connections, Only suggesting that you try a different caddy, because your caddy is having issues with the being recognized by your bios

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    He mistakenly pointed to you instead to me!!

To the OP:

As I already wrote, I would contact Acer Service and check, there's a Hardware fault, and if, which! That would be the most secure and also fasted solution for to solve the problem. Mainboard Repair out of a Warranty would be about THB 2,500 (US$ ~65-70) by Acer in Thailand and that maybe even includes a change of the MB if it couldn't be repaired.

13. HrVr000

HrVr000 MDL Novice

Aug 6, 2016
    TO Pisthai
    Hm Ok I will see and let you know. Thanks!

Sry Joe C mistake :weep: