2FA for added account safety

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by ancestor(v), Nov 28, 2016.

1. ultimate11

ultimate11 MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2015
    Didn't notice about 2FA before I found this thread, I've enabled it with FreeOTP on my iPhone.

2. mbpowner

mbpowner Guest

What is 2FA ? What happens if we dont enable it ?

Pretty sure 2 factor is essential for security these days - Users cant be expected to enable security themselves if thats what your getting at ?

3. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    1. Yes. 2FA might improve security, but it can be bypassed.
    2. If you enable 2FA and you loose access to one of the verification methods, you are done. I never ever enable 2FA on my emails.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    1. Bypass how?
    2. If you should lose a password and you have no alternative to identify yourself you are done the same way....

It DOES improve it since any attacker on an account has to attack/try with a different IP address while one who has cracked a PW could abuse it from everywhere.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    On the other hand, there simply is no 100% safety. 2FA is optional, not mandatory here, so why bother if you consider it unsafe?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
  7. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    @TairikuOkami
    This has nothing to do with really bypassing 2FA, it's more like picking an alternative route for identification. There is 2FA and "identify by personal questions" ... the latter is described in the article you linked to:

8. alika12

alika12 MDL Novice

Jul 22, 2015
    Awesome, added this to my account.

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  10. jadinolf

jadinolf MDL Member

Jun 1, 2016
    Gee, this looks good.

Glad to have the forum back.:)

11. mohitkumarsen

mohitkumarsen MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2012
    Feeling happy to get forum back again without any trouble. Give some more while to get acquainted with this style. Huge thanks for all associated with the huge job done.
    mohitkumarsen

12. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    If you bypass 2FA, then the implementation is a problem, and not 2FA itself. If you've got a super safe door in your home, and burglars break a window to get in, then you wouldn't blame the door... the problem then was the possibility of a bypass, in this case a window, being the weakest point.

13. alexandergomes

alexandergomes MDL Novice

Sep 11, 2017
    authy works well , i am using it .

14. Jasserty

Jasserty MDL Novice

Nov 24, 2017
    Really , i want to try , my iPhone 5 can be supported ?

15. dinosaur07

dinosaur07 MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2016
    I might consider using it.

16. bebondi

bebondi MDL Member

Apr 24, 2017
    This is what i use on my android. It saved my "ass" many times. This should be enabled for security reasons.

17. fabre gastro

fabre gastro MDL Junior Member

May 29, 2018
    can we use gpg/ssh keys instead?
    i dont trust 2fa for multiple reasons. but i can trust my gpg/ssh keys. plus it provides strong anonymity
    a simple suggestion.
    if i remember correctly you can perform a server side and client side auth using tls in apache. i haven't run a scan on this site. so i can not speculate much.
    if i can include the certificate then you can be sure its me and none else. these different party/vendor apps makes me trust less apps and sites post snowden disclosure.
    thanks for wasting 2-3 minutes reading my reply.

18. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    for all members that is new here: Hmm Daz has already guided us from the "problem" years ago and so we must follow the guidelines of who KNOW what they are talking about; still remembering that it is part of the Main Administration myself I always followed and never had any problem just my 2 cents ;)