[4Fun:] Do we really need W10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by moderate, Nov 11, 2014.

1. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    +1

Best answer! :biggrin:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I have used computers since the days of MSDOS 2.1 on the Sirius. I am not an expert like Yen, but I find this site very valuable to try and learn about computers. I was using 7, but thanks to this site I changed to 8.0, which was not better. I gave up and went back to 7.0.
    But again thanks to this site I tried 8.1, which has been brilliant. I no longer have separate anti virus or firewall and rely on Windows Defender and the free version of Malwarebytes. I am lucky in owning 3 desktops so can easily switch operating systems. Reading about users problems I think a lot of trouble can be avoided if Killdisk is used to wipe the hard drive before any installation of an operating system.

What I cannot agree with is all the criticism of 8.1. I find it quick and reliable. It also runs a DOS database for me, and the screen is perfect, unlike some earlier operating systems. So thanks once again to all the experts on this forum, who have been of enormous help to us lesser mortals. If 10 can run DOS perfectly like 8.1 I look forward to using it.

3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Psh pash Microsoft totally doesn't stifle competition as it was decided they would not be broken up.

At this point you couldn't paint a better picture of a Monopoly. Only if you looked over at Comcast and Time Warner.

4. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I'm an XPer and
    Nooooooooooo for me!!

What we really need is a system with security in mind. Not all the flash and glamour. They should spend more time on securing one operating system and slowly build on it. No mater what system they have come out with, or will come out with, is full of security holes.:mad:

5. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    First I want to thank you that you find MDL to be a reliable / valuable source with helpful people. It is indeed, due to the people here... :) :worthy:

The criticism come from people (like myself) who also have dealt (had to...) with M$ for decades.
    Actually the products of M$ never were sufficient to perform 'special' jobs.

The musicians had to go to to either Atari or Macintosh
    The scientists to UNIX (alpha RISC CPU)
    The gamers preferred consoles / Commodore Amiga and if M$ then they had to stay at DOS since the first windows was cr*p at gaming...
    The anti mainstream / security aware ppl to a Linux distro.
    The app people went to the competitors already, because they were first!

So which reason is left for M$ people to wait for windows 10 / use 8 except the monopoly situation?
    I would not consider myself to be an win expert, experienced, because I was forced to become it....as Murphy said already w7 covers most of the needs, for anything else there are better competitors...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Yah I didn't mean their OS in that regard. I was talking about their addition of the Windows Store.
    If you don't sell the need for it and promote the contents, what's the point of even adding it to the system?

7. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    Why promote it when they can just force it down our throats? :biggrin:

I agree with you 100% though. No real need at least from a desktop/laptop perspective. I can understand it with regards to tablets and smartphones though.

8. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    They're trying to remove the best thing about owning a Windows system: Control.
    With these apps, you can only use them how MS wants you to use them. You can never do anything that MS doesn't intend you to do with them.
    It's like they're treating us like children, a practice which I loathe.

9. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    We could just beat the crap out of the windows os until the windows store is no longer functional hehe

OR use windows 7.

10. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
    Yes, I would say we need Win10 or anything after that, as long as I could install/upgrade to it free. :popcorn:

11. Zeblade

Zeblade MDL Junior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    "Windows ME - Doesn't deserve to be called an OS."..
    Really? $39 got me "Eddy "Reliable"Trustman bobble head
    A signed ME CD.. omg! By billy himself a "CERTIFICATE OF PARTICIPATION" (MSN gold disk)....haha pffft yawn.. back when it was fun to test for MS.. now..not so fun..not as many free stuff. At the time I thought it was kool now.. I got suckered.

Do we need a W10? Do we get a say at all?

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As long as the downward compatibility is still available, we really didn't 'need' new OS'es! That would be change at the same moment if the new hardware 'requires' new OS'es because the old wouldn't work anymore with that, or we have to stay with the old hardware as long as possible!

In reality, it's the mind of the user which predict's the 'need' of the new OS! A lot and best examples we could read on the MDL and other Foren!

13. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Sorry to be stupid, but what is the Windows Store?. Am I missing something important about the security of Win 8.1?

I do not use Cloud Storage or login to Windows thanks to the information on this forum. I do not use a mobile phone or anything like Facebook or Twitter or knowingly any Apps.

All I want from the Operating System is the ability to browse the web, run programs like Office, play music using Foobar and play some basic games like chess, plus security for buying stuff from sites like Ebay. If I am missing something fundamental that affects the security of my data please explain in simple terms.

14. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Exactly that I thought

15. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    A new OS each year isn't quite right. Windows 8.1 was really just a service pack in disguise for Windows 8, they changed the numbering because of the bad rep that Windows 8 has. Getting people away from Windows 7 isn't a bad thing as it's actually quite flawed, although people are reluctant to believe this. Even after Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 there is a great number of non-superseded updates, and an even greater number of non-superseded hotfixes. If you take into account all the updates that these non-superseded updates have replaced, the number of updates is very significant. Of course, then you have the issue of Windows 7 not supporting some new hardware features etc. To continue with Windows 7, Microsoft would basically have to bring out a new version of it anyway, which... they essentially did. It diverged into a separate codepath, and is known as Windows 8 :). Sure, they added store support, but you have to remember they are a company and they need to make money. People simply don't want to pay much (if at all) for OS's these days, and without a cashflow there simply won't be the support or updates required. You can't compare it to Linux etc, that's hardly anywhere remotely near being suitable for normal computer use. It probably never will be, since there is no incentive to provide support for the smaller issues unless someone actually comes up with the support themselves...

Bringing out a new OS each year would actually be a good thing, and is kind of what Microsoft are talking about doing anyway, in a way. Basically each year is a fresh OS basepoint that updates through the year can be based on. Therefore, you have one big update a year, and then maintain that OS throughout the year with smaller updates like you currently see. Keeping the Windows version as 10 like has been suggested is just stupid, it would create a lot of confusion when installing a 4 year old version of Windows 10 and finding out the hardware doesn't support it, and then you have to install a crapload of updates just to use it. What they should have done is instead of calling it Windows 10, call it based on the year of release, Windows 2015. Then, when the following year have the release base as Windows 2016, then Windows 2017, and so on. Even if the Windows 2016 is just a combination of updates for Windows 2015, it can still be called Windows 2016 with fresh ISO's released. Great way to keep the OS updates, installs fresh etc. Calling it Windows 10 and having it varying so much is just well, stupid.

The only unfortunate thing about Windows 8, 8.1, and currently 10, is that it's butt ugly. Aero glass did make it look a crapload nicer, the Windows 8 CP release looked really good (it still had Aero Glass). You can't say it slowed down the computer a lot with Vista therefore it's bad. Computers were considerably slower then, and the computers that had the issues were usually slow even by the standards of the day, which says something. You then have to consider that the Aero code in Vista was hardly optimised. The speed improved with Windows 7, and again with Windows 8 CP, then they removed it!... Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 actually draws the desktop via Direct2D, which means it's considerably faster. Properly coded Aero Glass for Windows 10 would obliterate Windows Vista/7 Aero Glass in terms of performance, it wouldn't really matter if it were turned on or off. They should bring it back, but modernise the look. If you don't want it, you really don't have to complain, you could just disable it. Aesthetics is important, a nice, pleasant, attractive looking interface would create a much more positive experience than a white/cream/grey snorefest of an interface that really isn't pleasant to look at.

16. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    the windows store is a rotten apple.. you can`t go wrong with what you want from your os, i guess.. gens una sumus..
    happened to get my claws on a w8.1 lappy recently, and to my surprise i did not dislike it half as much as i thought i would..
    but stupid? nooo.. i am just as stupid as you are.. no social media, no cloud.. no nothing...;) :hug2:
    anything that passes beyond my harddisk passes beyond my control..

17. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    They thought it would sell on its own without efforts...but...

M$ has created their own dilemma by not differentiating stationary desktop use and portable devices.
    They created a unified UI. You cannot reasonable argue for apps on desktop use.
    Their biggest mistake was to focus a desktop OS on apps whilst denying common established use.
    I knew from the beginning that their concept cannot work out.
    You cannot gain center stage for apps only because you want to correct an error by enforcing people to change their established desktop workflow!!!
    They have now to revert things…because they did not do their homework.

18. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No it doesn't. The only thing that accelerates innovation is competition. And that is a thing M$ actually doesn't want...
    Innovation is first, the result, the product is after. Apps / store have been 'invented' by others ages ago...

Time is changing. People are more and more identified with new stuff. To have something new is already the thing, better or not is a secondary question....
    To have a leak is the great thing, better or not who cares, innovation?

Life span of products becomes shorter, throwaway society. M$ is just one who re-acts to this social tendency. When people want to have new stuff every year, M$ is here to offer it.
    No, prob. 10 is just a number that is higher than 8...which brings me back to my question: What IS a new OS? And do I buy new tech (innovation) or a new self-confidence for myself from M$...?

19. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014
    I'm a pimpled faced 350 pound 19 year old dude without a job or girlfriend who lives in His parent's basement. There's only so many new video games coming out. A new OS release every Year gives Me something else to do with My hands. :busted:

20. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    there is always naughty origami.